Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electricity supplier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Energia are by far the cheapest, can't wait to switch over to them in two weeks from now. Prices incl. VAT

14.22 cent per kWh (day rate)
    6.82 cent per kWh (night rate)

Do they not charge higher rates above a certain amount of usage though? I thought above 2000kWh per billing cycle (every 2 months) they charge a higher rate - I know we were better off with SSE Aitricity last time we switched because of this, although we do have Geothermal etc so use ~60% of our electricity during off peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Do they not charge higher rates above a certain amount of usage though? I thought above 2000kWh per billing cycle (every 2 months) they charge a higher rate - I know we were better off with SSE Aitricity last time we switched because of this, although we do have Geothermal etc so use ~60% of our electricity during off peak hours.

2000 units on night rate over a 2 month billing cycle causes the rate for those extra units above 2000 to go up by a cent or so.

It’s not much tbh unless you go over it by a large margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,057 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The average house in Ireland uses about 3.5MWh per year. Not many people would go over 12MWh on night rate alone! Would typically be families with at least one, probably several of the following:

- 1 or even 2 EVs
    - heatpump for water and home heating (no gas, oil or solid fuel)
    - very large house
    - no renewables

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    The average house in Ireland uses about 3.5MWh per year. Not many people would go over 12MWh on night rate alone! Would typically be families with at least one, probably several of the following:

- 1 or even 2 EVs
    - heatpump for water and home heating (no gas, oil or solid fuel)
    - very large house
    - no renewables

I think if my wife got an EV we'd be in this category and even then I worked out our annual usage would be about 10MWh.

Currently we're at about 8MWh per year with 1 EV driving 12,500km, heat pump and 4 bed house. Second EV with similar mileage would add about 2MWh

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

slave1 wrote: »
    I just went from Electric Ireland to Energia last week, Energia were way ahead of the rest of them.
    In one years time I will do the same exercise, I change every year without fail as the competition are always cheaper when I shop around and I could not be bothered phoning up the current crowd haggling.

Absolutely, this is the best way to do it. You can also put in the switch request (which is free after your contract ends) and then wait for your current supplier to get back to you. Normally they'll try to give you a decent discount to tempt you to stay.

This is what happened with Energia this year, I requested to switch to SEE, they called and asked what rate I was getting, and then they undercut SEE and backdated the new discount to cover any usage after the old one ended. All took about 5 mins, no haggling involved :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

GlowPower with GlowMore just announced a new rate

14.05 cent (day rate)
    8.09 cent (night rate)
    207.14 standing

I read that Electric Ireland will be raising their prices soon, the rest will follow soon after no doubt.

I read that Electric Ireland will be raising their prices soon, the rest will follow soon after no doubt.

Of course they will

According to the press release they "try to offer our customers a very competitive rate by keeping our standard rate as low as possible"

Competitive to what? Building your own power plant?

According the EI the increase is down to increase in network charges, which is a bit flimsy considering gas and renewable prices are lower than ever :mad:

Superfoods wrote: »
    GlowPower with GlowMore just announced a new rate

14.05 cent (day rate)
    8.09 cent (night rate)
    207.14 standing

Watch their T&C's... at least one of their plans is a 2yr plan with a reduced % discount on year 2 but you will be locked in for the 2yrs so be careful.

I dont see the rates you have above on their website though. Where did you see them?

For their everyday plan I see 16.13/8.32

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Watch their T&C's... at least one of their plans is a 2yr plan with a reduced % discount on year 2 but you will be locked in for the 2yrs so be careful.

I dont see the rates you have above on their website though. Where did you see them?

For their everyday plan I see 16.13/8.32

1 year via bonkers

I also see BEEnergy (part of Flogas now) offering a good rate...

Day 14.47
    Night 7.01

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Karl_1974

I have an account with Glowpower since April and until the moment no bill!! I have send them 3 messages through the online account, one of which I supplied them readings and nothing!! Are they so incompetent not to answer my messages?

We got the first Energia bill and it shows 21.24 cent day and 10.19 cent night.

This is their rates advertised when you sign up.

They then have a discount of 72.20 discount applied as CR.

14.47c/kWh
    6.94c/kWh

They have given an estimate, the day is around the same but the night is 100 units less than actual.

Day 384 costing 81.56 @ 10.19 Cent
    Night 928 costing 94.56 @ 10.19 cent

Total bill 161.54

The p1cks didn't put the actual kwh cost we're paying and put in a credit number to make it much harder to calculate which I can't work out now in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Gerard93

14.47c/kWh
    6.94c/kWh

They have given an estimate, the day is around the same but the night is 100 units less than actual.

Total bill 161.54

The p1cks didn't put the actual kwh cost we're paying and put in a credit number to make it much harder to calculate which I can't work out now in work.
    If you divide the units being billed into the Nett Figs after discounts you should get price per unit .

14.47c/kWh
    6.94c/kWh

Total bill 161.54

Had the same issue with Bord Gais, I think it's a billing trick. If they display your 'real' unit rate then when they remove the discount it's a rate increase, which they have to clear with the CRU. But if it just shows a discount, then they can remove or change that anytime they want

Looks like Pinergy are bringing out an agile tariff plan, and they'll let you sign up to an EV only plan.

Not sure how this works in reality, would you need another meter installed because I could see that being a pain

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/gas-electricity/pinergy-partners-with-ohme-to-launch-innovative-new-ev-charging-technology/

According to Pinergy you can use any charger

https://pinergy.ie/home-electricity/electric-car-charging/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Looks like Pinergy are bringing out an agile tariff plan, and they'll let you sign up to an EV only plan.

Not sure how this works in reality, would you need another meter installed because I could see that being a pain

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/gas-electricity/pinergy-partners-with-ohme-to-launch-innovative-new-ev-charging-technology/

According to Pinergy you can use any charger

https://pinergy.ie/home-electricity/electric-car-charging/

The rates are as follows :

"The discounted unit rate applies from 2am to 5am, as stated above, at a cost of 5c (exc. VAT), while the standard unit rate is 18.38c (exc. VAT) at all other times of the day and night."

18.38 excluding Vat looks very expensive!

Nedved85 wrote: »
    The rates are as follows :

"The discounted unit rate applies from 2am to 5am, as stated above, at a cost of 5c (exc. VAT), while the standard unit rate is 18.38c (exc. VAT) at all other times of the day and night."

18.38 excluding Vat looks very expensive!

5.7c inc vat for night rate is good but its only a gimmick really as its only marginally better than other night rates (7c from other providers) and only for the few hours where you charge your car... you are paying a much higher price for all the other times so they giveth and they taketh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They are 100% taking, only even worth considering if you have 3P 22 charge point and even then you'd have to do the math

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

The rates certainly seem a bit bizarre, couldn't even find the night rate on their website. Certainly the prepayment charge would just about wipe out most of any savings you stand to make

From what I can gather, they give different discounts on their standard rates during the day, they mention a 40% discount on the rate between 6pm & 10pm. Presumably the discount is 0 during the day and probably higher at night.

Without any information on what the discounts are and how often they change, it's impossible to tell if you'd save any money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

So I was energia customer, called them yesterday and they offered me 28% discount I think and a 50 euro fee. Told them I wanted the rate for new users and was told it wasnt available. They are offering to new customers to get them to move and will reduce people standing charge....but in the offer they made to me they didnt reduce the standing charge

When I asked how come that was I got silence. He asked who I was moving to and it was GlowPower. He told me they are not using 100% green energy and that Energia do. I very much doubt that.

Anyway cancelled my account, I wasn't been rude or anything to the poor chap, he said loads of people are cancelling and it is crazy they cant offer the discounted rate to existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am with Bord Gais at present and thinking of looking into moving, are Energia the best for new customers at present?

My contract expires tomorrow.... latest new customer rates (inc vat) I've got for rural nightsaver are....

Energia
    Day rate: 14.22 per kWh New Customer rate
    Night rate: 6.83 per kWh
    Standing charge: €288.87 per annum

BE Energy
    Day 14.47 inc 28% disc.
    Night 7.01
    Standing charge - €300

Airtricity
    Day 15.42 inc 30% disc. Via bonkers only
    Night 7.64
    Standing charge - €282.88

GlowPower
    Day 14.14
    Night 8.09
    Standing charge - €249

Im with Energia right now and I did the same dance I do every year... "Give me the new customer discount or Im gone"... they couldnt even match Airtricity's rate.... BE Energy it is for tomorrow then!

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am with Bord Gais at present and thinking of looking into moving, are Energia the best for new customers at present?

Bonkers.ie

I went with Glowpower because the day rate is cheaper to Energia

The night rate is higher but with winter coming in I expect the next few months will make it cheaper to have a smaller day rate

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I’m with Airticity at the moment, because the Meter hasn’t been read in ages the bill is 954! 😖 definitely need to switch

I’m with Airticity at the moment, because the Meter hasn’t been read in ages the bill is 954! 😖 definitely need to switch

You do know with estimated bill it’s up to you to submit, if they are way out they will hit you with a massive bill....

You won’t be allowed to move unless you get a verified reading is my understanding

The providers (airtricity, Energia etc) don’t read your meter... ESB do. So don’t switch just because of that. Switch to get a better rate.

You know you can submit your own meter readings?

KCross wrote: »
    The providers (airtricity, Energia etc) don’t read your meter... ESB do. So don’t switch just because of that. Switch to get a better rate.

You know you can submit your own meter readings?

When I was with Energia they sent email even if ESB read the meter, moved to Glowpower and they mention you need to submit your readings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Yeah, totally understand it’s my own bad, just annoying. Bit of a pointless post on my part but wanted to rant 😀

Advertisement