Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italian language films dubbing/adr with Italian

• 11-09-2020 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭

having my own pandemic 'important' film watching binge and have watched many foreign language films with subtitles recently but watching The Conformist and it the most difficult to watch/listen to.

Why is it that Italian films dub/adr their actors with Italian?

Maybe Italian sounds quicker or something then other languages to my ears but it seems every voice is dubbed over. Sometimes with other actors so its hard to know who is speaking because the voice doesn't match the actor.

The sound is bad and I've tried to deal with that with an equaliser.

I tried to find why dubbing is such a thing in Italy, this suggest http://www.roderickconwaymorris.com/Articles/338.html military surplus cameras that were noisy. But the Conformist is from 1970.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Italian cinema of its 70s heyday seemed pretty rough & ready so I see now reason why they weren't still using old army surplus TBH; heck half the reason the decade had so many spectacular WW2 movies was because of the cooperation of Central European armies, whose vehicles were themsevles predominantly WW2 vintage.

The ADR does add a certain surreal element to all those Giallo style films; interesting to read the link as it confirms what I had wondered was an urban myth; that Italian cinema recorded all the dialogue with the actors speaking in their own language, to be later dubbed over in post production.

On that, "Berbarian Sound Studio" is a good film to check out; a homage to Italian Cinema production, by way of being a bit of a mindf*ck in its own right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

From what I've read about this, they didn't have the equipment required to capture release-ready audio on-set so would ADR the dialogue afterwards - Italy is one of the European countries where English language TV and film was (and often still is) routinely dubbed, with the side effect that there were Italian voice actors who were known as "the voice of John Wayne" etc.

Side note - I've also read, but not been able to confirm, that the process of dubbing into Italian also involved changing jokes and cultural references to be more Italy-specific, regardless of whether that makes sense in the original context of the material...

Advertisement