Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas day bus services

Options
  • 10-09-2020 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking that Bus Eireann don't run at all on Christmas day, and slightly restricted on Christmas Eve?

I'm possibly in need of a bus from Dublin Airport to Derry or Letterkenny either late CE or early CD.

Edit just checked the flight times, would likely be into Dublin airport for 4:30pm on Christmas Eve.

Translink seems to be the same, early finish CE And nothing CD.

Anybother operators?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that Bus Eireann don't run at all on Christmas day, and slightly restricted on Christmas Eve?

I'm possibly in need of a bus from Dublin Airport to Derry or Letterkenny either late CE or early CD.

Edit just checked the flight times, would likely be into Dublin airport for 4:30pm on Christmas Eve.

Translink seems to be the same, early finish CE And nothing CD.

Anybother operators?

No operators on CD, last departures likely between 19.00-21.00 (few exceptions) on CE.

In 2019 the last LKenny service via Airport left city center at 20.45 and last service to Donegal Town at 21.30.

What I will say is flight times for CE are far from confirmed at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks. I'll definitely not be booking anything flight wise until last minute as there is no clue what restrictions will be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The normal pattern for Bus Eireann over christmas is that services on the 24 Dec opearate as normal until early evening, 25 Dec no services, 26 Dec an amended service.

The previous response was incorrect.

Based on the published times from last year expect the last Dublin-Letterkenny to be the 18.45 with the 20.45 and 22.45 NOT running.

The 21.30 Dublin - Donegal Town did run.

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=3762&month=Nov

The Translink Dublin - Derry routes are no longer run in conjunction with Bus Eireann but they do roughly follow the same pattern around Christmas with late departures being curtailed on the 24th. They are still running a very restricted covid service on Derry-Dublin, based on that the 20.15 X3 Dublin - Derry via Monaghan may run but you'd have to check much closer to the date, also beware that the X3 runs via Strabane while the X4 goes via Dungannon and Dungiven.

McGinley also serve that route but have a much poorr timetable with their last daily service from Dublin at 17.45 with later on Fridays and Sundays only, it is very unlikely they will run a late service on the 24 Dec. You would need to contact them to see if they are running at all.

http://www.johnmcginley.com/index.html

Advertisement