Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty getting through to Ceannt Station

Options
  • 09-09-2020 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

Just cut off. Rang again but no luck.

Question maybe someone can answer?

I was on BE website to book a ticket but it said that even if I book a ticket it offers no guarantee of a seat. It is on a first come first served basis.

Does this actually mean there is no point in booking a seat at all and just arrive early?

What is the booking facility for if not to secure a seat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cwannt Station deal with trains.

Bus Eireann's number is 1850 836 611

I understand that the point of booking is to provide you with a cashless payment option, but that booking doesn't guarantee a seat. I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

bobbyss wrote: »
    Just cut off. Rang again but no luck.

Question maybe someone can answer?

I was on BE website to book a ticket but it said that even if I book a ticket it offers no guarantee of a seat. It is on a first come first served basis.

Does this actually mean there is no point in booking a seat at all and just arrive early?

What is the booking facility for if not to secure a seat?
    Yes, I was told the same a couple of years ago. Seems daft to me that I would have to wait(in my case) for a bus that runs once a day and take my chances on getting a seat on such a busy route. But BE seem to think its ok.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Cwannt Station deal with trains.

I understand that the point of booking is to provide you with a cashless payment option, but that booking doesn't guarantee a seat. I may be wrong.

Bus Eireann's number is 1850 836 611

I always have had issues contacting the BE office at the station. When there is a response it is usually a rough sounding person who isn't really too bothered with your query at all.
    Always get the feeling they don't give a s... .
    But yes. Cashless is the point of it i suppose. It's different on the private operators.
    While I'm at it, any sign of gobus returning? Any news there?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.gobus.ie
    As of Monday March 16th, all GoBus.ie services will be suspended until further notice.
    This is to help in reducing the spread of the Coronavirus.
    Passengers will be updated through social media platforms and for any queries, please contact us by email on info@gobus.ie
    So no news yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Citylink are back up and running.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote:
    Citylink are back up and running.

Yep . Been on citylink but they have curtailed service so looking for additional alternatives. Just can not believe service of BE. Im aware they service towns and villages and so on, but could they not smarten themselves up a bit? Like for starters, have someone available at the end of a phone. Surely they can put on a non stop service dublin to Galway? Its 2020.

Yep . Been on citylink but they have curtailed service so looking for additional alternatives. Just can not believe service of BE. Im aware they service towns and villages and so on, but could they not smarten themselves up a bit? Like for starters, have someone available at the end of a phone. Surely they can put on a non stop service dublin to Galway? Its 2020.

In fairness we are emerging from a pandemic.

BE kept services going purely because they are subsidised. This year's subsidy will be enormous. Even now the level of city services vastly outstrips demand, and its proving difficult to balance 50% max occupancy and demand on regional buses.

Did you try the 1850 number?

BE kept services going purely because they are subsidised. This year's subsidy will be enormous. Even now the level of city services vastly outstrips demand, and its proving difficult to balance 50% max occupancy and demand on regional buses.

No didnt try that number yet. But there were no non stop services to Dublin before COVID? What explains a lack of non stop service ? Why didn't BE step in as citylink and go entered that route? There certainly has been a demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

No didnt try that number yet. But there were no non stop services to Dublin before COVID? What explains a lack of non stop service ? Why didn't BE step in as citylink and go entered that route? There certainly has been a demand.

The government have asked people to avoid public transport for the time being so it would be a bit odd if be put on a load of additional services.

The government have asked people to avoid public transport for the time being so it would be a bit odd if be put on a load of additional services.

Not quite: they've said public transport is for absolutely necessary journeys only.

Fwiw, BE are restoring their full services on the Galway / Dubljn route from this Sunday. This includes the x20 which has fewer stops.

Personally the lack of opening windows would worry me on the express buses.

• Advertisement

Not quite: they've said public transport is for absolutely necessary journeys only.

Fwiw, BE are restoring their full services on the Galway / Dubljn route from this Sunday. This includes the x20 which has fewer stops.

Personally the lack of opening windows would worry me on the express buses.

This window business has always annoyed me. Frequently there is no a/c so can be stifling.
    BE X20 leaves before 0530. I asked the lady did BE she know what time it actually arrives in Dublin as oppossed to timetable posting. She said BE don't have that kind of information. I would have thought otherwise as surely they'd need to be awate of punctuality issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wotausername

I always have had issues contacting the BE office at the station. When there is a response it is usually a rough sounding person who isn't really too bothered with your query at all.
    Always get the feeling they don't give a s... .
    But yes. Cashless is the point of it i suppose. It's different on the private operators.

GoBus are back on the 21st September

https://www.gobus.ie/news.php?id=191&fbclid=IwAR20E_2LQR-7i8U389g_kyl97GCVgJOkpHNN00_SAzzSDEoll5qNiaKTjII

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its still worth booking online because most drivers will call the bookings to the front first, then return tickets, then cash walk-ups. I see it happen all the time on the Limerick Galway route these days, usually a few people told to wait for the next bus.

Thargor wrote:
    Its still worth booking online because most drivers will call the bookings to the front first, then return tickets, then cash walk-ups. I see it happen all the time on the Limerick Galway route these days, usually a few people told to wait for the next bus.

Absolutely. I have noticed that despite 50% less capacity there are still empty seats. However i wouldn't venture out without booking in advance. You never know when a service might be booked out and you would be left high and dry.

Advertisement