Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Italian sausage for Diavola pizza

• 28-08-2020 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Looking for some help.... I'm looking for the italian sausage (crumbly style meat) that is often on a diavola in italian restaurants. Anyone have a good recommendation including where to buy? thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Hey - I don't know where in the country you are, but there are a couple of shops in Dublin that sell excellent imported Italian / sicilian sausage that I've bought and eaten many times.

You can get it in Lawlors butchers in Rathmines, Mortons Supermarket in Dublin 6 , in Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer street Dublin 2, and I think possibly also in Dollard and co supermarket on the outskirts of Temple bar.

There are probably a lot more shops that sell it, but those are the places I've personally gotten them. They are generally four big fat sausages in a vacuum pack and Italian writing on the label, although if you are in any of those shops, the staff should be able to point you to the correct fridge/freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I'm in Dublin so could venture to any of these places. Haven't had any luck with more general shops. Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is the one I use. In addition to above, Get Fresh in Rathfarnham sell them. And other types. Theyre great and freeze well. Pricey though, 6 quid for 2 sausages I think.

salsiccia_mantovana_levoni.jpg

I have made them before, if they're just for pizza or a pasta sauce you could just buy a 2 euro punnet of pork mince and add herbs and spices (chili, fennel, paprika, garlic etc) and a bit of oil.

Nduja is also great on pizza. All of those places sell that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I think you’re looking for nduja sausage, a type of crumbly salami.

I havent found it in Ireland but you can order online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sacla do a nduja pesto. It's not bad but a bit pricey as well. We get it in Tesco up north here, not sure if it's made it over the border.

640x640.jpg

Excellent. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 terminatorX1

You can get in in jars in Marks & Spencer (Sap brand) also in Fallon & Byrne. About €6 a jar in M&S, more expensive in F&B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

The Nal wrote: »
    This is the one I use. In addition to above, Get Fresh in Rathfarnham sell them. And other types. Theyre great and freeze well. Pricey though, 6 quid for 2 sausages I think.

salsiccia_mantovana_levoni.jpg

I have made them before, if they're just for pizza or a pasta sauce you could just buy a 2 euro punnet of pork mince and add herbs and spices (chili, fennel, paprika, garlic etc) and a bit of oil.

Nduja is also great on pizza. All of those places sell that too.

Would you fry / cook this after slicing it before putting on pizza or put it on the pizza raw and then cook the pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I've gotten Nduja sausages in Ireland before, I think I got it in Lawlors butchers as well - I personally much prefer the normal Italian sausage, the nduja gives me lethal indigestion.

I've found pork mince with flavourings like fennel doesn't match up to the real deal imported sausage either, I think they must cure the sausages a little bit because it's a world apart in flavour.

• Advertisement

maximo31 wrote: »
    Would you fry / cook this after slicing it before putting on pizza or put it on the pizza raw and then cook the pizza?

Cook it first. It can take a bit of cooking. I just slip it from the casing and fry it.
    jim o doom wrote: »
    I've gotten Nduja sausages in Ireland before, I think I got it in Lawlors butchers as well - I personally much prefer the normal Italian sausage, the nduja gives me lethal indigestion.

Yeah Nduja is very different though. Its about 20 times as spicy. I like spicy but I'd only use a dab of it here and there on a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Never heard of it before this thread but it cropped up on my Twitter feed last night with these guys- https://cwmfarm.co.uk/shop

They do ship to Ireland & methinks I need to try those salami crisps!

Thanks all! Got it in Sweeneys D3 in the end and happy to report the homemade pizza was delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Did you get nduja or Italian sausage in sweeneys?

Nduja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've noticed nduja popping up.on pizzas in a few places recently so it has to be available. I once bought it as substitute to Spanish sobresada which has a similar texture but was unable to eat the finished dish as it as far too hot (spicy) even for my asbestos pallet. I'm often amused when I go to Italy to see something on a menu described as spicy or hot and it and on tasting the item it's really mild. However, things do hot up the further south you go but my experience of nduja was that it was off the scale in terms of heat, so proceed with caution.

Was in O'Higgins in Sutton this morning and picked up a packet of Nduja. No price on the packet but got to the till and it was nearly €18 for less than 500g!

Beware of packets with no prices! :eek:

Was in O'Higgins in Sutton this morning and picked up a packet of Nduja. No price on the packet but got to the till and it was nearly €18 for less than 500g!

so did you buy it or do the "eh no I'll leave that then" ?!

Jaysiz. Think its about 6 quid for 500g in Get Fresh in Rathfarnham. Its really only a cheapo spicy pate type thing.

glasso wrote: »
    so did you buy it or do the "eh no I'll leave that then" ?!

I was wearing my stupid hat this morning so bought it. :rolleyes:

World's most expensive pizzas tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I love Higgins but some of the prices in there can be a shocker. Popped in on my way back from Howth a couple of weeks back unplanned and on spec to pick up two rib eyes. I didnt ask the per kg price but in my mind I was thinking 18-20 euro for the two steaks should do it . Bit of a shocker when it came to 25.60 :eek: Great steak and all but I didn't find it so great to justify the hefty price tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Pricey considering it probably made from lips and ássholes. On the plus side though there is so much chili in it I'd imagine it would last for years.

Seamai wrote: »
    Pricey considering it probably made from lips and ássholes. On the plus side though there is so much chili in it I'd imagine it would last for years.

BB date 23/12/20. Not too much chilli, a lot of oil though. Makes for a messy pizza, delicious but messy! :rolleyes:

Advertisement