Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who want "Foreva Lockdown"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Blondini wrote: »
    nO yOu diDNt hiT a neveR.

I'm not working from home.

Ah yes.

Pick on my incorrect spelling, that will really get to me:)

And you're meant to be a teacher??

Graham wrote: »
    Can quite honestly say I haven't come across anyone looking for a permanent lockdown.

In real life or online.

I don't think anyone is looking for a permanent lockdown either.

But there are still people who are very vulnerable to this infection and I feel they are being overlooked and dismissed, in the eagerness to get everything open.

If everyone played just their small part, wore a mask in the shops, kept their social distance, santisied their hands frequently, it would be a lot easier for everyone - including those of us who are still vulnerable - to interact with each other in a closer to normal way. It would keep numbers down, while keeping business and schools open. Those who can work from home should continue to do so, and not be mocked for it.

But as it is now, with flagrant non-compliance everywhere I go, mandatory wearing of masks in shops not being enforced, no social distances being kept, as a high risk person, who lives with another very high risk person, I do not feel I can safely interact outside of my own home and protect us from covid19.

I did enjoy being able to go into the local centra for a deli sandwich, or into starbucks for a take away coffee but with the rises in numbers I am reverting back to leaving my house for essentials only.

I can and am working from home and putting in my full hours, in fact, most days I go over my hours but don't even get time on the clock for it anymore.

All it takes is showing a little consideration for others. But this seems to beyond the scope of many. Its not really a lot to ask, but the will to do what little can be done to protect the vulnerable seems to have be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

And you're meant to be a teacher??

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not as bad as the covid deniers and anti-mask morons

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I know 3 people who would probably fall into the "Foreva Lockdown" group. One is in her mid 30s, is on some sort of illness/disability allowance and considers herself to be a vulnerable group. The other two are an older retired couple. None of them have worked in years and are genuinely terrified of catching the virus.

They think the government is prioritising the economy over peoples safety, without really understanding what "the economy" means. They think the economy is just the government being greedy and wanting money for themselves. They don't understand that we're talking about peoples jobs, livelihood, businesses etc that they need to pay their bills and put food on the table. It's very easy not to give a damn about the economy when you're not working. They don't seem to make the connection that we need people working and paying taxes in order to fund state benefits/pensions.

The older couple are a little more open minded and recognise that younger people need some sort of social life, however limited atm. They just choose to keep themselves to themselves for their own safety. The younger person thinks we should all be locked up until there's a vaccine. "Covidiot" is now part of her daily vocabulary and has a massive rant on social media any time the restrictions are loosened and/or there is an increase in cases. She's against everything - restaurants reopening, schools reopening, she's even cutting her own hair still to avoid going to a hairdresser. It's crazy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Blondini wrote: »
    Nope.

Thank god for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 IHaveTheFlag

I don't think anybody wants to lockdown forever. But I do see what the OP is getting at. A lot of people seem to be using the pandemic for their own agenda's and a lot of people seem to enjoy the misery of it all.

Multiple posters have brought up our drinking culture again and again on these threads and suggested that we should socialize in a more continental way. You can tell by the tone of lots of posts that some people are happy that the pubs were closed for so long.

We had a poster on here who hated bookies. Admitted that he just hated them and was delighted they were closed.

We had posters suggesting that young people should abstain from having sex and dating. We have had people actively hoping the garda get the power to break into your house and break up a get together.

I haven't seen any actual evidence that "We are all in this together".
    But I have seen a very dark side to our society.

Some people's attitudes towards pre marital sex, drinking and gambling would make Archbishop McQuaid blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Working from home is a privilege and my manager will still know if I'm dossing or actually meeting/exceeding my targets. The last thing I would want to do is take the piss and ruin that privilege I've been given.

And in any case, working from home doesn't require a lockdown, something the OP doesn't appear to have figured out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Supermarkets have been doing booming business since this virus started, so they are probably hoping work from home and maybe even some form of lockdown is an ongoing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think you are confusing Foreva Lockdown with the Witness Protection Programme.

I'm often reminded of the Witness Protection Programme during Zoom meetings, where some participants can be back-lit and just appear in silhouette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think you might be misreading people.

I want an end to this virus.

I also want :

more people working from home,
    less traffic on our roads,
    less congestion on public transport,
    more opportunity to live/work in urban areas outside of the big cities,
    less reliance on pubs for social occasions,
    more people washing hands,
    more people spending money in local areas,
    more people avoiding others when they are unwell,
    more consideration for others in your community,
    less focus on materialism,
    more consideration given to personal health.

The lockdown/pandemic has brought a lot of these things about. I don't want the pandemic to persist (only a psycho would) but I can't lie and say that I'm not happy with the emergence of the above.

I hope these unexpected pandemic behaviours persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I think some people are enjoying the fact they can work from home so that public guidance suits them.
    A small number may have enjoyed the drama of the full national lockdown, but cant imagine many want that back. And anyways it cant come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

storker wrote: »
    I'm often reminded of the Witness Protection Programme during Zoom meetings, where some participants can be back-lit and just appear in silhouette.

Ha there is always at least one person in a meeting who looks like a whistleblower being protected for their bit on crime watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 keenanem

I don't believe people want forever lock down but there are people with health issues or not who are just terrified of getting it or passing it onto someone else.

I do think we will need to learn to live with it to a certain degree until a vaccine is developed to which we will then have to hear from all the anti vaccine people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think you might be misreading people.

I want an end to this virus.

I also want :

more people working from home,
    less traffic on our roads,
    less congestion on public transport,
    more opportunity to live/work in urban areas outside of the big cities,
    less reliance on pubs for social occasions,
    more people washing hands,
    more people spending money in local areas,
    more people avoiding others when they are unwell,
    more consideration for others in your community,
    less focus on materialism,
    more consideration given to personal health.

The lockdown/pandemic has brought a lot of these things about. I don't want the pandemic to persist (only a psycho would) but I can't lie and say that I'm not happy with the emergence of the above.

I hope these unexpected pandemic behaviours persist.

while i think it's great that you hold this ideals , some people (not you precisely) want to use covid to keep these implemented by force.

I agree with most of what you say - i do them myself bar the pub one. I really like getting pissed drunk tbh...but id' never enforce them on others and that's the key i think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

paw patrol wrote: »
    The Op may be exaggerating a bit with "lockdown foreva" but we had posters in the restrictions thread who wanted no nightclubs and other social aspects of society reopened until a vaccine was developed even if that was years in the making.

But there is a large cohort out there that think the lockdown/restrictions wasn't/is enough and demand more measures. They are the people I think the OP is talking about.

Add to that the gobsh1tes that glare at you in fear and panic from behind their masks. The curtain twitchers and the poster on board who asked was there a ratting hotline..people who call others granny-killers and all that

I'm repeating myself (again) but covid19 has shown up a huge number of people out there who will do anything to be seen to support the government line/status quo . People who you just know would be ringing the secret police if we had one.

It could be a film , 2020 - Rise of the Curtain Twitchers.

Events like this always bring out the fringe elements/extremists and general nutjobs.

From the ultra-left/right trying to politicise everything down to your regular garden variety tinfoil-hatters and their conspiracy theories.

Fortunately neither are difficult to spot and neither represent the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I want to understand the psychology of people who think there's actually people out there who want lockdown to continue indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

What sector are ye all referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

I want Dublin city to return to some level of normality. The WFH has had serious consequences for our capital city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Jim Root wrote: »
    What sector are ye all referring to?

Not the one where you have to work to earn a living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What a strange thread.
    No-one, including hermits (Irish hikikomori), wants the lockdown to last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Most people in this thread are saying "no one wants that".

Well look lads the media and the government have strongly hinted that social distancing will be permanent and "The next seven days will be crucial" (March 10th) has already turned into years of restrictions.

Are you prepared to say you won't accept being cut off from normal human contact and enjoyment for the rest of your life? If you aren't then you have your answer..

The much more deadly 1918 pandemic that killed young and old alike only lasted two years before it had mutated into a less deadly form (it's still around today), so going by that and every other virus pandemic - this too shall pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

alentejo wrote: »
    I want Dublin city to return to some level of normality. The WFH has had serious consequences for our capital city

Those days are long gone now i think. Plenty of office workers will never be returning to their places of work now organisations have realized it's more cost effective to have them work from home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

growleaves wrote: »
    Most people in this thread are saying "no one wants that".

Well look lads the media and the government have strongly hinted that social distancing will be permanent and "The next seven days will be crucial" (March 10th) has already turned into years of restrictions.

Are you prepared to say you won't accept being cut off from normal human contact and enjoyment for the rest of your life? If you aren't then you have your answer..

No the media and the government have not said social distancing will be permanent, or even hinted at it.

Give your foil hat a wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Also a load from a certain sector working from home on full pay.

Not doing a lot of work.

Suits a lot of people.

I read the thread and not sure what sector you are referring to, would you like to clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

biko wrote: »
    The much more deadly 1918 pandemic that killed young and old alike only lasted two years before it had mutated into a less deadly form (it's still around today), so going by that and every other virus pandemic - this too shall pass.

That's dodging the question though, which is whether you will or won't accept permanent restrictions.

You seem to accept that you yourself cannot interpret the deadliness of covid and that the deadliness of covid will decide whether the restrictions stay or go, so...

There won't be permanent restrictions, nor will anyone accept them.

Sure, even now in the midst of the actual pandemic we have protests all over the shop. Not to mention people that say it's all a hoax.
    Do you think people that act like this during the worst of it will accept restrictions long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

"Normal" human contact means different things to different people. Your definition of normal human contact might not bring enjoyment to me..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

lads the media and the government have strongly hinted that social distancing will be permanent

While you may have inferred that, I genuinely doubt the government have any such aim.

Advertisement