Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway central barriers

Options
  • 08-09-2020 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

I was caught in the traffic resulting from the fatal crash on the M50 today.

I was in the North bound lane and the crash was in the south bound lane.

My question is, why do we not have barriers down the centre of the motorway to prevent rubber neckers??? Like, 8 ft high panels the length of the motorway.

It's ridiculous that there is a 10-15 mins delay on the opposite side of the motorway solely down to nosey fcukers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Suppose it could be done- at a fair cost. Could be dangerous over time to have 8ft panels acting like a sail and standing up to strong winds though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Suppose it could be done- at a fair cost. Could be dangerous over time to have 8ft panels acting like a sail and standing up to strong winds though

I'm sure they could construct some rigid

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You would be blinded by the reflection off them at night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It's done at Portlaoise with trees in the middle, and it works very well. No having to dip headlights at night either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I'm sure they could construct some rigid

yeah Im sure there is a solution that is used in other countries. But just think that its not just as simple as erecting something like 40kms of barrier all along the m50 and then forgetting about it forever. If they did that it has to be checked periodically by engineers and thats not an easy task closing down lane 3 in both directions to check 40kms of barrier. There is a cost and ongoing resources that would have to go with erecting such a barrier.

Would imagine the NRA have already thought about this and discounted it for the reasons above or else the risk of high winds making panels go flying and that causing cars to swerve/crash at high speeds. If there was enough space for trees/hedging that would be a better solution but there doesnt seem to be.

It is frustrating though when you come to a jam and eventually realise its all because of people rubbernecking an accident on the opposite side of the motorway. Some of them are even taking photos of it to put on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

khaldrogo wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that there is a 10-15 mins delay on the opposite side of the motorway solely down to nosey fcukers.
    there was a fatality, which kinda puts the 'ridiculous' aspect of a 10 to 15 minute delay on you in a slightly different light.

did the accident happen at rush hour? any sort of incident like this is going to lead to the mellodion effect if the motorway is near capacity; it just takes a single person hitting the brakes to create a rolling jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

there was a fatality, which kinda puts the 'ridiculous' aspect of a 10 to 15 minute delay on you in a slightly different light.

did the accident happen at rush hour? any sort of incident like this is going to lead to the mellodion effect if the motorway is near capacity; it just takes a single person hitting the brakes to create a rolling jam.
    The OP is quite correct in their assessment. It IS ridiculous that cameraphone-waving rubbernecking morons are able to hold up otherwise uninvolved traffic while they gawp and Instagram Live their "sick" stories (bro) for Likes... I believe UK police now erect shields at major accidents to block the view from the opposite carriageway and stop such inconsiderate & ghoulish behaviour.

Btw on a lighter note, the word you're looking for is concertina (effect) - melodion (pronounced 'malojan') describes a football pitch whose condition is so bad as to cause Brian Kerr extreme anguish... :D

https://twitter.com/vmsportie/status/1067842160236609536?lang=en

Advertisement