Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DQ Rule 3.3b

• 05-09-2020 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

So im relatively new to playing golf comp's, appreciate an opinion on this one. Played a 9 hole comp during the week, my hcap is 26.5(27c). When i checked in to play the competition the computer gave me the sticker with my 9 hole h'cap as 13. I scored 18 points. I mentioned to one of my playing partners (an experienced member of the club) at the end that it was odd my h'cap was rounded down not up as i expected it would round up in that case. He mentioned that he though the same and he had heard someone else complain of same issue recently. Anyway, it was evening and pro shop was closed, few around so i logged the card in masterscoreboard and dropped the physical card in the box.

Checked results today and 19 pts won it and im down as a DQ under rule 3.3b. If i had scored my card off 14 i would have had 19 points as it happens. Thoughts?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Your handicap was too low if anything and that means you shouldn’t have been dq’d I’d have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I’m not sure why you were disqualified your handicap was correct. 13.25 is half of 26.5 so you would be playing off 13.

And even if my calculations are incorrect as said above, playing off too low a handicap is not a DQ.

Did you sign the card?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sounds harsh, possibly this, assuming you and your playing partner filled your card correctly.

3.3b(4)/2
    Player Not Exempt From Penalty When Committee Provides a Scorecard With an Incorrect Handicap
    If the Committee provides players with scorecards containing their handicaps, each player must make sure that the right handicap is shown on his or her scorecard before returning it.

For example, as a courtesy, the Committee chooses to issue pre-printed scorecards containing the date and each player's name and handicap.

If such a scorecard mistakenly has a player's handicap being higher than it actually is, and this affects the number of strokes he or she gets, the player is disqualified under Rule 3.3b(4) if he or she does not correct this mistake before returning the scorecard.

Check that the competition referee has not addressed the bottom paragraph incorrectly. There should only be a DQ if your handicap was higher on your card and you did not make any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭REFLINE1

etxp wrote: »
    I’m not sure why you were disqualified your handicap was correct. 13.25 is half of 26.5 so you would be playing off 13.

And even if my calculations are incorrect as said above, playing off too low a handicap is not a DQ.

Did you sign the card?

Yeh maybe there's some other mistake on card

Did you sign the card?

Yeh I signed card, maybe there was another mistake, I'll ask them monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭CFG92

Was it a qualifier? If it was, it would effect the number of shots you'd get as it's not necessarily half your full handicap.

CFG92 wrote: »
    Was it a qualifier? If it was, it would effect the number of shots you'd get as it's not necessarily half your full handicap.

Nope not a qualifier. It's more than likely some other issue with way card is marked I think. I must have made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Did you have the markers name on the card?

Did you have the markers name on the card?

Id be surprised if I forgot to but I was a bit distracted in hindsight so maybe I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Id be surprised if I forgot to but I was a bit distracted in hindsight so maybe I did.

Handicap for 9 holes isn't half. Its calculated on your exact.
    Does your club have 9 hole cards and u used a 18 hole card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mike12 wrote: »
    Was going to say, it's not automatically half.
    My money is on not writing the markers name in the card.

GreeBo wrote: »

Yep my money on the same at this stage!!

mike12 wrote: »

What do you mean here, can you explain please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

GreeBo wrote: »

Even though you’re marking your own card, does a playing partner still need to mark it?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Even though you’re marking your own card, does a playing partner still need to mark it?

The Covid rules for us is print the markers name on the card, as opposed to swapping cards and them signing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Are you going to enquire and see why you were disqualified or leave us all in suspense for ever?

Are you going to enquire and see why you were disqualified or leave us all in suspense for ever?

Email sent, awaiting response :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

What do you mean here, can you explain please?

Google COGNU handicap manual and its 22.3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,969 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So im relatively new to playing golf comp's, appreciate an opinion on this one. Played a 9 hole comp during the week, my hcap is 26.5(27c). When i checked in to play the competition the computer gave me the sticker with my 9 hole h'cap as 13. I scored 18 points. I mentioned to one of my playing partners (an experienced member of the club) at the end that it was odd my h'cap was rounded down not up as i expected it would round up in that case. He mentioned that he though the same and he had heard someone else complain of same issue recently. Anyway, it was evening and pro shop was closed, few around so i logged the card in masterscoreboard and dropped the physical card in the box.

Checked results today and 19 pts won it and im down as a DQ under rule 3.3b. If i had scored my card off 14 i would have had 19 points as it happens. Thoughts?
    Your playing handicap for 18 holes should be on the card, not the nine hole equivalent. If the sticker only has the 9 hole (strokes received) that's not the same as your handicap. It's one of the few things a player is responsible for (along with signing the card).

Putting a marker's name on the scorecard is actually not a requirement under the current covid-19 rules:
    It is not necessary to have a marker physically certify the player’s hole scores, but some form of verbal certification should take place if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Your playing handicap for 18 holes should be on the card, not the nine hole equivalent. If the sticker only has the 9 hole (strokes received) that's not the same as your handicap. It's one of the few things a player is responsible for (along with signing the card).

Putting a marker's name on the scorecard is actually not a requirement under the current covid-19 rules:

You missed a bit.
    on a temporary basis, Committees may choose to allow methods of scoring in stroke play that do not strictly comply with Rule 3.3b or do not comply with the normal methods used under Rule 3.3b.

i.e. writing your markers name on your card.

• Advertisement

OP any update?

Yes i got a reply letting me know i forgot to write my markers name on the card :o A very simple explanation. When i started this thread i googled the rule but it took me to the part of the rule that dealt with writing your correct h'cap on the card. Because there was some confusion over the correct 9 hole h'cap for me during the round i immediately assumed that was the issue, as opposed to me just being careless putting in my card! Wont be doing that again in a hurry, needless to say lesson learnt. In better news had 37 points in a comp earlier this week though so got 0.4 cut and back to 26. Onwards!

I’ve done the same myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,969 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I’ve done the same myself!
    It's entirely up to each committee whether to enforce this rule or not. Personally I think it's pointless as it proves nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I get the enforcement of the rule, it saves time for those marking cards and also improves thoroughness and the concept that you are your own ref.

All golf rules appear plenary or pedantic when enforced, unlucky op, but I doubt you will be making such a mistake again.

Keep enjoying your game and good luck in the future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement