Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Options

Comments

Me.

I double checked with my mammy and she confirmed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Ted Walsh

He's a great talker and a bit of a character, but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

There's very few honest men and women involved in Irish national hunt racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

John Sheehan

Right up until he sucks the life out a Dubliners gig by reciting one of his "poems".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Catherine Corless, historian, who researched and publicised the Tuam babies burial.

Not loved by interests who wanted all that to stay buried.

Do we have a winner? Perhaps Omackeral should do a tournament in this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Garda who found the bag that Graham Dwyer threw into the Vartry reservoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Surely that's what Direct Provision is?

No.

Choosing and being sent are different things.

Although the non obligatory nature of direct provision muddies the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wee Daniel.

Sure he went out singing for the old folks during the lockdown and all. And he takes the piss out of himself in the gas boiler ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Do we have a winner? Perhaps Omackeral should do a tournament in this topic.

It was done before and the winner was Samantha Mumba. See post #407.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

That was a joke btw.

But invariably the results of those forum games competitions are mindboggling. Expect the unexpected to say the least, I have seen them vote that Chris O'Dowd was a better actor than Gene Hackman..... you had to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Who's Samantha Mumba...………………..? Never heard of her...…...………..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Sonia O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Catherine Corless, historian, who researched and publicised the Tuam babies burial.
    Not loved by interests who wanted all that to stay buried.

Especially not by Terry 'nothing to see here' Prone anyway

letter2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Way I look at is people who few have a bad word to say about. People who try and do the decent thing (some might have failed at times) - but are genuine and are down to earth - despite thier fame.
    And if they did say a bad word about them it just means they being nasty for the sake of it.

Sports people:

Padraig Harrington
    Naill Quinn
    Packie Bonner
    Axl Foley
    Shane Lowry
    Ken Doherty
    John Giles
    Barry McGuigan
    Dennis Taylor
    Sonia O'Sullivan
    Paul McGrath
    O'Donovan brothers (rowing)
    Katie Taylor
    Ted Walsh
    Willie Mullins

Politicians:

John Hume
    Patrick Hillary
    Douglas Hyde
    Mary McAleese
    Mary Robinson
    Michael D. Higgins

Singers:

Delores O'Riordan
    Christy Moore
    Imelda May
    Barney McKenna
    Luke Kelly
    Rory Gallagher
    Phil Lynott

Actors:

Brendan Gleeson
    Richard Harris
    Dermot Morgan
    Fionnuala Flanagan
    Colm Meaney
    Mick Lally

Business:

Tony O'Reilly
    Michael Smurfit
    JP McManus

Broadcasting:

Bill O'Herlihy
    Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh
    Michael Lyster
    Larry Gogan
    Teresa Mannion
    Gerald Fleming (weatherman)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

CANNOT ABIDE TERRY PRONE. LIGHTWEIGHT DUPLICITOUS AND BRIMMING WITH SELF WORTH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Truthvader wrote: »

She was on the Elaine show this week, and they were discussing the tennis incident where Djokovic hit the ball towards the lineswoman. The ball hit her but it seemed like a big overreaction the way the woman seemed to be so hurt. Then this Probe wan was saying if she was advising her it would be to sue Djokovic for as much as she could get. Jeez she only got hit by a tennis ball and he was disqualified from the tournament, and this wan reckons the lineswoman should sue him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Her son is also annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some of the people mentioned would be well loved in Ireland and maybe UK but probably not too well known around the world.

Some of the people mentioned would be well loved in Ireland and maybe UK but probably not too well known around the world.

I think the position of "universally liked" has been taken to mean in Ireland generally and NOT in the Universe.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Especially not by Terry 'nothing to see here' Prone anyway

letter2.jpg

PR firms are scum, a cancer

• Advertisement

That’s why I chose Brenda Fricker.

imme wrote: »
    I think the position of "universally liked" has been taken to mean in Ireland generally and NOT in the Universe.

It is why Bono has not a mention famous worldwide = yes
    Universally liked = no

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

imme wrote: »
    Ah okay.

Don Conroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That’s why I chose Brenda Fricker.

odd choice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I haven’t bought the evening herald in a long time but I remember she used to or maybe still does write an article in that...

Her schtick was to be absolutely outrageously outraged at something that she didn’t much agree with... instead of looking at and examining both sides of an everyday belief or argument with impartiality or understanding or indeed intelligence as any respectful intelligent journalist she’d be spending the whole article lecturing the readership on the rights of .... and the wrongs of ....

I remember thinking after reading one of her rambles... “christ, maybe this is how a psychologist feels”...

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    odd choice

She has that face that looks like she’s gonna get the wooden spoon at any second but when she talks......

She’s lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Tom McCaughren. Wrote those fantastic "Run Wild" books about the family of Foxes in the Irish countryside. Absolute gems of books for kids.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Joe Dolan.

Do Zig and Zag count as people?

I am not stupid enough to name, Dustin. Sure, he is a turkey.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    I haven’t bought the evening herald in a long time but I remember she used to or maybe still does write an article in that...

Her schtick was to be absolutely outrageously outraged at something that she didn’t much agree with... instead of looking at and examining both sides of an everyday belief or argument with impartiality or understanding or indeed intelligence as any respectful intelligent journalist she’d be spending the whole article lecturing the readership on the rights of .... and the wrongs of ....

I remember thinking after reading one of her rambles... “christ, maybe this is how a psychologist feels”...

Jayus, that made me laugh - spot on summing up of her. Plus she had bucket loads of self righteousness.

Advertisement