Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using my "mobile" SIM in a 4G router

• 08-09-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I took delivery today of a Huawei B311 wifi router (amazon, UK, unlocked) with the intention of popping my Vodafone "phone" PAYG sim (smart extra contract - calls, texts and 20GB data)... For use in my campervan, streaming content to my TV.

I thought it would just be a case of popping in my SIM - but while all signals/lights are good on the "router" box... I've no internet...

I am trying (for test purposes) to access the web on my phone using the Huawei B311 (which is listed and connected) in my wifi settings.

Have I extra setup to do, changing VPN settings, etc?
    Or do I need a "broadband" specific SIM / plan?

Total noob... so would appreciate any help!
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

VF probably blocking tethering.

Does data work with SIM in a phone?
    Does hotspot/tethering work with SIM in phone?

The usual fix for a phone is to delete any other APN except for....
    live.vodafone.com

...but that normally doesn't affect routers as VF normally only have access to phone APN settings. Router settings are normally not modifiable. VF may be using some other setting to block tethering.

First thing to do is configure the router APN as listed above (delete any other APNs) and see if internet connection is available then.

If you are only using this in a router then Vodafone X is a better deal with unlimited data albeit capped at 10Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Hooked wrote: »
    Hi all

I took delivery today of a Huawei B311 wifi router (amazon, UK, unlocked) with the intention of popping my Vodafone "phone" PAYG sim (smart extra contract - calls, texts and 20GB data)... For use in my campervan, streaming content to my TV.

I thought it would just be a case of popping in my SIM - but while all signals/lights are good on the "router" box... I've no internet...

I am trying (for test purposes) to access the web on my phone using the Huawei B311 (which is listed and connected) in my wifi settings.

Have I extra setup to do, changing VPN settings, etc?
    Or do I need a "broadband" specific SIM / plan?

Total noob... so would appreciate any help!
    TIA

Will work perfectly with a 3Pay SIM. €20 a month for unlimited data.
    You might need to put the SIM into a mobile a f send a text to activate but after that you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

You sound like you have but I think you need to disable the PIN code on the SIM. I have an eir sim in the same router. Only problem I had was the PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ten Pin wrote: »
    VF probably blocking tethering.

Does data work with SIM in a phone?
    Does hotspot/tethering work with SIM in phone?

The usual fix for a phone is to delete any other APN except for....

...but that normally doesn't affect routers as VF normally only have access to phone APN settings. Router settings are normally not modifiable. VF may be using some other setting to block tethering.

First thing to do is configure the router APN as listed above (delete any other APNs) and see if internet connection is available then.

If you are only using this in a router then Vodafone X is a better deal with unlimited data albeit capped at 10Mbps.

APN changed to above and ‘it appears’ to have done the trick!

Many thanks for all the replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

How will you know when to top it up

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why not go GOMO? 80GB for €12.99. Definitely works in routers aswell, I swapped my parents over to the same setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why would they go for 80gb when they can have unlimited?

To thine own self be true

How will you know when to top it up

My Vodafone app keeps track of the data. So does the ‘hilink’ App for the router. I’ll only be using it the odd time in the van

At the min... I’ve 14gb rolled over PLUS my usual 20GB. It’s never used ‘on my phone’ as I’ve wifi at home and in work

Thargor wrote: »
    Why not go GOMO? 80GB for €12.99. Definitely works in routers aswell, I swapped my parents over to the same setup.

Must check this out - thanks

I really don’t want another ‘contract’ as it’ll be for use in my van, every now and then.

My phone data will do just fine for now, as it’s not being used for anything else really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Hooked wrote: »
    Must check this out - thanks
    Or 48 for 7.99,

The OP is talking about his 20GB allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

I'm on Vodafone X but tried using my SIM in a 4g router but I'm getting no internet connection. Anyone know if they don't allow it with Vodafone X?
    I used my phone to tether before & was charged but after talking to Vodafone they told me to use the APN posted in this thread but in the router it's not working.
    I've been using my mobile as a hotspot without iisues before.

Is there any PIN on the sim? Any security like that will stop the router working.

Tbh it's not a case of them allowing it or not, I seriously doubt that a SIM card can tell its in a router instead of a modern phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TeePeeLink

Is it possible to just "jailbreak" root a company voda/virgin Huawei broadband line in Router to take an LTE sim?

or is this type of home line in box -a broadband use only wired router and not able to insert any sim inside these devices as a mobile router?

no answer. so i guessing now anyway from what i read, there is ways to unlock some Huawei company locked routers but others you cant.

and it seems they are a different thing to LTE data routers, so regular home wired broadband units cannot be used with a PAYG sim inserted, i need a LTE unlocked mobile router? like the ones mentioned on "midband" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭EarWig

If you're streaming content to your TV then will 20GB really be enough?

Even with just occasional use you could go through that amount quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Looking to save the auld lad a few quid and getting rid of home phone and broadband and wanted to setup something like this.

He only uses it for reading the paper and the odd website so not worried about data allowance, thinking of going with 48 as I tested my own sim

there over the weekend and was getting nearly 80mb on Ookla. Is the Huawei B311 still the best option? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

I've just gotten a Vodafone SIM to use in an unlocked Huawei B525 however it's not working.

I see that others have had this issue also.

What are the APN settings to use to get the Vodafone SIM working and do I input these on the router? Also, can I do it without a laptop?

Thanks!

same predicament here,

bought a VMedia sim, should that work for LTE routers?

my laptop has no Ethernet cable in to change router settings either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I tried an eir mobile sim in an eir 4G/5G ready router and didn’t get it working. I wanted to see if their 5G would work any better as their mobile plans have 5G, where signal is available. (My eir home broadband plan is only 4g and more expensive than their payg as it offers unlimited data for 20 euro top up)

Anyway, it wouldn’t work for me. Called them up and they told me something about phone sim plans only working on phones? Was this bs so?

Bought a VirginMedia "Phone SIM" to use in my Huawei B311 4G Router (which I had bought to use in my camper) last Nov. when we moved to the sticks... By PURE LUCK there was a new mast nearby!

Did some reconfiguring on the app (on the HUAWEI HiLink app) - and been a dream ever since. Tenner a month (Black Friday deal) - win win. No massive braodband or TV bills...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Hooked what setting did you reconfigure?

Set up was last year - will log in to my HiLink app and see when I'm home later... as got another 10 euro VM sim today to use

Advertisement