Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg Siteviewer accurate?

Options
  • 27-08-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Is siteviewer accurate? If it says a mast has 4g is it a certainty it has it?

I am testing out Vodafone at the moment since Three has gone to the dogs since lockdown and was expecting after moving my aerial to point at the mast less than 500m from me that i would be getting 4G and some decent speeds. I was previously getting 4G with Three but the mast is very far way so the speeds at times were terrible. I have only been getting 3g since i started testing last week with vodafone even though Siteviewer says there is 4g there.

LeIUARK.png

When I disconnect my router from the aerial I get connected to another mast which doesn't make sense considering the next closet is far further away.

I can only assume that Siteviewer is wrong and the mast does not have 4g vodafone since the max i can get is 3G
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You probably spotted note about maintenance 28th-31th - they might update info, check if it still there.
    Cork is somewhat covered by cellmapper and this mast doesn't appear there. There is one ~1.4KM north , Site CK312 on ComReg

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

You probably spotted note about maintenance 28th-31th - they might update info, check if it still there.
    Cork is somewhat covered by cellmapper and this mast doesn't appear there. There is one ~1.4KM north , Site CK312 on ComReg

I was not aware of the maintenance. thanks for letting me know and for the reply

Strangely enough the network cell info app does not show a Mast there now, when it did before. From what i can see they all are showing different results as both Comreg and network cell info app show masts in Blackpool but in different locations but cell mapper does not show a mast there. I know one exists around the area as when i pointed the aerial in that direction i was getting the best results for Three while cellmapper shows no Mast there.

Is there some way to ID the cells using the cell ID i can get from my router or the network cell info app?

grimeire wrote: »
    Is there some way to ID the cells using the cell ID i can get from my router or the network cell info app?
    Router read ID and ComReg nomenclature don't match. Cellmapper does.
    Cellmapper mast locations might be inaccurate as they are calculated by signal strength from different angles
    ComReg should show precise locations as they have data about masts build, but data about services could be outdated
    But verifying all known info to G maps/ComReg might help, especially is transmitter is mounted on tower, in fields
    524540.JPG524541.JPG

Thanks for the response and help.

Where do i find the Cell I am connected to? Searching for the Cell ID found on the router on Cellmapper shows no results on the cellmapper map when i search for it. I tired all the possible search options.

Cell ID as seen on router.
    NwgZMGE.png

Searching for cell ID on cell Mapper
    pIOgpki.png

OK, for start , your router, as clearly shown in your screenshot, has CELL_ID 2019034, not tower ID. Tower usually has multiple cell's and cell ID's usually are in range, so you could have 2019034, ....35.....36...so on, but ID number cell vs eNB is different.

This project helped me so i don't mind to advertise it.

Please understand that info is given AS IS. Cellmapper only has data that is provided by participating users - you need "rooted" phone + app installed + upload data from phone(either auto or manually). This way database is build, based on real cell's participants phones have connected (+ neighboring cell's).
    As more often you connect to the cell, from different angles/locations, more precise data/location will be presented. ID's are read from cell/mast so will match what your router gives you.

Once you select tower, info is displayed: eND ID, all known cell ID's, services and date it was first/last seen. There is possibility that, user who uploaded that data, does not use app any longer or does not upload data or does not connect to cell's in that area any longer. Hence there is no guaranty that this map is up to date.
    If Vodafone has introduced new transmitter, even on existing mast, data might not be present on the map because of above mentioned reasons.

Also, once select mast, in most cases, you'll see outlined shapes - each represent sector for cell on the mast, some times you see crazy 30 km stretch that looks unreal - don't ask, i don't know why/how it is possible.

When i had needed to find exact cell's i was/am connecting to, i got spare phone rooted and ran app. I have uploaded data and it was reflected in next 1-2 days. This helped me to find what i needed and potentially others who was looking for info. "Sharing is caring" :D

Morale - you get what is available or you might consider to participate in the building up database so you'll get what you need and might help others....

• Advertisement

@smuggler.ie

Since Saturday morning i have been getting 4G without any changes on my side. I can only assume that the recent storm had affected the tower/mast that is why i was not getting 4G and it was fixed on Friday/Saturday.

Have not had any issue at all and on average getting around 30Mb DL which is a big improvement on what I was getting with 3.

I have an old phone lying around so time to root it to see can i get any more info.

Thanks again for all the help.

Things got strange again. On Monday 31st of August 4g went again and i couldn't get it back. No changes were made on my side so I assumed due to the plan(Vodafone X) i am on maybe I am throttled on weekdays or something.

No 4G today so it looks like that theory is out the window.

Still waiting for Xiaomi to unlock my phone so I can root. Hopefully I will be able to figure out what going on after that.

Things got strange again. On Monday 31st of August 4g went again and i couldn't get it back. No changes were made on my side so I assumed due to the plan(Vodafone X) i am on maybe I am throttled on weekdays or something.

No 4G today so it looks like that theory is out the window.

Still waiting for Xiaomi to unlock my phone so I can root. Hopefully I will be able to figure out what going on after that.
    Do you get same cell ID or range, where beginning numbers match, once on 4G
    What antenna you use? Directional work better at the distance. At the distance of 500m you wouldn't need any antenna to get 4G, enough router on window sill or attic.
    What router you have? Is there option to force "4G only", confirm antenna setting is "external"

I doubt VF would limit you having 4G anyhow, plan X limit up to 10Mbps speed, but not means of connection.

Having cellmapper app would reveal more.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With a rooted phone you can do a few loops in a car and map your local area. Easy to do, data takes a few hours to process + appear.

ED E wrote: »
    With a rooted phone you can do a few loops in a car and map your local area. Easy to do, data takes a few hours to process + appear.
    was at least a day before my data was reflected :(

yeah, did few 1-10 mile circles, then used on my standard routes for some time. Must be not enough as some mast locations still show off by mile-or-two. Not big deal - i know actual locations of local masts by heart, just needed to confirm ID's...

• Advertisement

was at least a day before my data was reflected :(

yeah, did few 1-10 mile circles, then used on my standard routes for some time. Must be not enough as some mast locations still show off by mile-or-two. Not big deal - i know actual locations of local masts by heart, just needed to confirm ID's...

It varies. Its a small operation and sometimes it gets away from the lads that started it.

Circles around your house won't always help, ideally you want to circle the mast. That gives the most info to triangulate its position. Usually itll land within 200m of where its meant to be. If you spot a cell long range it can end up in the sea as the phone only knows very roughly how far away it is and not what direction.

FWIW Eirs submissions to Comreg use the cell IDs so you can match them easily. Shame they dont insist on data in that format.

It varies. Its a small operation and sometimes it gets away from the lads that started it.

Circles around your house won't always help, ideally you want to circle the mast. That gives the most info to triangulate its position. Usually itll land within 200m of where its meant to be. If you spot a cell long range it can end up in the sea as the phone only knows very roughly how far away it is and not what direction.
    10mile radius should have covered that :D - i did more than, but yeah, not complaining - worked for me a treat...
    FWIW Eirs submissions to Comreg use the cell IDs so you can match them easily. Shame they don't insist on data in that format.
    this not given out to end user , isn't it....Is there way to see it?

In any case, playing with G maps/Comreg along with the app does the job, did for me...

Do you get same cell ID or range, where beginning numbers match, once on 4G
    What antenna you use? Directional work better at the distance. At the distance of 500m you wouldn't need any antenna to get 4G, enough router on window sill or attic.
    What router you have? Is there option to force "4G only", confirm antenna setting is "external"

I doubt VF would limit you having 4G anyhow, plan X limit up to 10Mbps speed, but not means of connection.

Having cellmapper app would reveal more.

when I was on 4g the cell ID was totally different. Stupidly i never took note of the cell ID when on 4g.

This is the antenna i got.
    OGY1MTBhNjFkMWMyMTU4NDNhNWJmNDA4MWE3MTVhZWHTUleTSaZxgRc17yaQB4qaaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZWMzYmQ1MjQzMTQwNGFhZTIzNDY4ZDdiOWYyMzlhN2U4NTFiNmY3Njk1YmQzNzk2NTgzMTExNWJiMjNhYWQ0NS5qcGd8fHx8fHw0MDB4Mjk4fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

I tested without the router connected to the antenna and I was still getting 3g even after a reboot and forcing the router to use only 4G did not work i get an error "No service Failed to connect to the network. Please retry later or search for networks from the network settings page."

A mate of mine is on the Vodafone X plan too but does not appear to be limited to 10Mb and neither was i when i actually got 4g on the router and when i use the SIM in my 4g phone. Weird thing is when i put the Sim in my phone in the same place in the house as my router i get 4G all the time. The mast i am trying to connect to is surrounded by trees on nearly all sides expect for 1. So between me and the mast there are trees.

The router is E5186s-22a and there is no option to use external antenna or at least i can not find it.

The APN i am using is "live.vodafone.com" no username or password. Could that be the issue it tired a few others but they either didnt work or gave me the same results.

Are ye guys sure you need a rooted phone for cell mapper? I am still waiting on the OK from Xiaomi to root mine but i was testing it in the meantime and it looks like it is working as expected. Hopefully when the cellmapper site is updated with the info i provided ill know more about whats going on.

mpMPeQf.jpg

I almost certain your E5186 has "Settings>>System>>Antenna settings" and i suspect this might be your issue. screenshot of B525s-23a...yeah connection is awful today on three :mad:, getting only 10% of usual speed
    525515.JPG

I have same(at least shape) antenna, still in use on secondary connection and it does the job...with some modifications. Worked well without mod.
    See here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108250624
    Unless Cellmapper did some change, it required root on most phones, but see for yourself in supported phones. If it works without root - even better...
    APN look OK

I almost certain your E5186 has "Settings>>System>>Antenna settings" and i suspect this might be your issue. screenshot of B525s-23a...yeah connection is awful today on three :mad:, getting only 10% of usual speed

Three signal was awful for me. most nights my speed would drop to 1-2Mb and very often would drop out totally. With vodafone im getting average 8Mb DL on 3G but it is stable and does not appear to ever drop below that. Watched a few things on netflix last week with the misses and for the first time ever didnt have a single dropout or buffering and didnt have to watch half of the stuff in very low res.(<SD)

I dont have Antenna options on my router. this is what i got. FNQVhhj.png

I think this cause i have a different ROM on my router or the router is able to auto detect when an antenna is connected. I got mine second hand. I had planned to update the ROM but it was only 1 version out of date when i checked last year and I managed to get a easy work around for the only major bug it has.

I am pretty sure the aerial is used when connected as when i was on 3 the cell_ID would change after connecting the aerial.

My phone is not under supported phones in cell mapper but earlier and later models of my phone are and they work without root so I guess it is not needed in my case.

Looks like the circling my place with the phone last night did help much as now cellmapper thinks the mast is on my house. I will circle around again tonight and see does that help.

Is there signal finders that can be used to identify the best position of the antenna? Using the routers stats is an nightmare.

I have same(at least shape) antenna, still in use on secondary connection and it does the job...with some modifications. Worked well without mod.

From what i have read it looks like you are using directional antenna now. What kinda speeds you getting do you mind me asking?

So i took down the antenna and did some testing. So i found 4 different cell_IDs 1979936, 2023054 and 2023054 and confirmed that the stats without the antenna are far worse so it looks like the antenna is doing what it is supposed to.

With antenna on pole
    CELL_ID: 1979936
    RSSI: -57dBm
    RSCP: -66dBm
    ECIO: -9dBm

No antenna.
    CELL_ID: 2023054
    RSSI: -95dBm
    RSCP: -108dBm
    ECIO: -13dBm

hooking up the antenna and trying different positions out of the window with a hacked cable.
    CELL_ID: 2013054
    RSSI: -69dBm
    RSCP: -75dBm
    ECIO: -6dBm

CELL_ID: 2023054
    RSSI: -69dBm
    RSCP: -74dBm
    ECIO: -5dBm

My hack job of a cable for testing.
    wMcH8cz.jpg

Hopefully some more work with cellmapper can help me pinpoint these masts otherwise I am going to try to mount the antenna at the other side of the house and see the result. The pole on that side of the house goes up far higher and is not restricted by a wall so should be able to test 360 degrees.

I also came across this on cell mapper that allows you to map your cell ID to a eNB ID. None of the cell_Id i converted could be found. Going to drive around with the Vodafone sim.

Judging by "Apply" color i guess its Telia device, Baltic region. Your menu probably is limited by their firmware - last letter C??? in the code. You need generic from Huawei (C00) to have access to all menu

Signal is shown on your router, numbers in dBM - see chart
    NwgZMGE.png
    Connect to web interface on you phone over IP. Course you can install some app, "Stats for Huawei LTE Routers" might be, have not used - not vouching.

Can see fresh data on cell map, but its all 3G - check if your app correctly set to read 4G

What length cable you run there? And hell many adapters/connectors - each prone for weakening your signal, i would suggest reducing.

Got upgrade antenna, for work purposes keeping secondary connection and this is where is used.

Judging by "Apply" color i guess its Telia device, Baltic region. Your menu probably is limited by their firmware - last letter C??? in the code. You need generic from Huawei (C00) to have access to all menu

Signal is shown on your router, numbers in dBM - see chart

Can see fresh data on cell map, but its all 3G - check if your app correctly set to read 4G

What length cable you run there? And hell many adapters/connectors - each prone for weakening your signal, i would suggest reducing.

Got upgrade antenna, for work purposes keeping secondary connection and this is where is used.

Not sure the origin of it. I got it about 5-6 years ago from ebay. It is 20 times better than the piece of s**t TP link i had before it. When i put in the 3 SIM far more stats show since i can get 4G with the 3 Sim.

cyIFbci.png

No C code. here is exactly what it shows for software/hardware version.
    Hardware version:CL1E5175HM
    Software version:21.310.01.00.07
    Web UI version:16.100.02.00.03

Running a 10m cable. The adapters on you see in the last post are just on the test cable. The 10m cable is an actual cable designed for the router with the correct connections either side. I got that cable with the router. The Cable in the last picture is just one I made for testing using a coaxial cable.

As far as i could tell when looking into the firmware versions last year there is not much if any difference between my firmware and the official. All the options are there e.g port forward, DMZ etc. Unless there is a major bug fix then i dont see the point of changing the firmware to the official one.

I did some more driving around on my break and it looks like it finally identify the mast that Comreg shows. I drove around the mast like @ed_e suggested and can see the cells on top of the building. Sitemapper is still showing ghost masts as eNB ID 113498 does not exist where sitemapper says it does. I guess i need to do some more driving around. Stupidly i forgot to set the phone to use 3G only when driving around to map the cell IDs i am seeing on the router.

Do you know what the black and yellow vectors on the map mean when you click a eNB?

FFEToOi.png

piDsgXl.png

OK, so instead letters they use dots. Firmware ends 07 ,as i guessed - Baltic region.
    https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/huawei-cpe-e5186-22a-firmware-summary-existing-versions/thread/558377-100305
    All they are official, just designed for/by different providers. Different countries, different laws, different ISP's.
    Firmware updates fixing bugs, etc, yes, but region might show you different features, what you can and cannot control.

But it doesn't matter as long you see that antenna is recognized and works.
    As per chart i linked previously, you see that on 4G connection you get bit different stats available than for 3G defining signal quality. Use them more as guide than target - they fluctuate and it is by technology design

Cellmapper app read all masts(by ISP) no matter what services they provide and what cell your phone connects to, neighboring masts. I think is to do the way technology work to ensure you have less outage - phone senses neighboring mast and preps to transit over to provide continues service.
    For the "ghosts" - don't worry, eventually it'll settle takes more driving and time. Watch them traveling with time, compare to your shot

525595.PNG
    Shapes you see there define sectors covered by cells - click on the shape and watch left side pane highlighting/scrolling to the cell # .

• Advertisement

This look like your ghost tower. -CK349... and it seam to have B3+B20 ,where CK446 only does B20
    You must have past it multiple times, i almost can see your deep tracks on tarmac.... :D

525636.PNG

What kinda speeds you getting do you mind me asking?
    This was back in July, hour of glory...as long it lasted, but then all went back to normal ~80-100

520523.JPG
    520520.JPG

This look like your ghost tower. -CK349... and it seam to have B3+B20 ,where CK446 only does B20
    You must have past it multiple times, i almost can see your deep tracks on tarmac.... :D

525636.PNG

Haha, I parked in the commercial estate it is in for a few minutes and got as close as possible to it. Left after getting a few unsettling looks from local businesses.:confused:

Cellmapper app read all masts(by ISP) no matter what services they provide and what cell your phone connects to, neighboring masts. I think is to do the way technology work to ensure you have less outage - phone senses neighboring mast and preps to transit over to provide continues service.
    For the "ghosts" - don't worry, eventually it'll settle takes more driving and time. Watch them traveling with time, compare to your shot

Are you sure about that. Cellmapper showed no 3G masts around until i went out later with the phone set to use 3g only.

I drove around for an hour after work with 3G and then 4G and thats why it moved between me posting and you. As i know where all the local masts are from comreg I got as close as possible and looped them a few times. CK349 can actually be seen miles away so it is hard to miss since there is no trees surrounding it.

This was back in July, hour of glory...as long it lasted, but then all went back to normal ~80-100

WOW that insane. Are you still 5-7km from a mast like I read in another post of yours? Using a directional antenna?

Now that i have the cells mapped how do I identify which one i am connected to as the cell IDs on cellmapper still do not match what I am seeing on the router?

Are you sure about that. Cellmapper showed no 3G masts around until i went out later with the phone set to use 3g only.
    There might be two thing here:

1. on the app Settings select options that appropriate, in my instance have independent tick boxes for 2G, 3G and 4G. Neighboring option there too
    2. on webpage you have to select to see map for 4G or 3G - not both. Same re ISP. Note - for 3, most of them are on 4G, and most of 3G are under "O2(historic)"

WOW that insane. Are you still 5-7km from a mast like I read in another post of yours? Using a directional antenna?
    :D I couldn't believe it myself, thought it was glitch, however, it lasted several hours gradually degrading. Unfortunately.
    Antenna you have (and me) was advertised and considered directional, but how will you know whats inside them plastic cones. And advertised gain does not feel right.
    I got now Iskra P-58 L700 - under testing, but already used for main home connection. I can say it is improvement
    Now that i have the cells mapped how do I identify which one i am connected to as the cell IDs on cellmapper still do not match what I am seeing on the router?
    This is odd. My router display ID's matching and if i turn antenna towards another mast it reflects on router
    Router indicates what service you receive: 3G or 4G - adjust web settings accordingly. Just wonder if VF have the way to separate phone connection vs router connection and only allow to connect to certain cells, but why would they do that...

There might be two thing here:

1. on the app Settings select options that appropriate, in my instance have independent tick boxes for 2G, 3G and 4G. Neighboring option there too
    2. on webpage you have to select to see map for 4G or 3G - not both. Same re ISP. Note - for 3, most of them are on 4G, and most of 3G are under "O2(historic)"

Just checked and i had 2G, 3G and 4G all ticked under settings. lets not worry about it 3G masts are there now. Might need to go around again in the car as at least 2 3G masts in the wrong place.

p5UVSD7.png
    :D I couldn't believe it myself, thought it was glitch, however, it lasted several hours gradually degrading. Unfortunately.
    Antenna you have (and me) was advertised and considered directional, but how will you know whats inside them plastic cones. And advertised gain does not feel right.
    I got now Iskra P-58 L700 - under testing, but already used for main home connection. I can say it is improvement

That looks a lot better than the OLD sat with antenna in the middle i thought you had. :):p

That antenna looks like 2 soar view antennas. I would of assumed the internals of the white domes would be complex I guess not.

This is odd. My router display ID's matching and if i turn antenna towards another mast it reflects on router
    Router indicates what service you receive: 3G or 4G - adjust web settings accordingly. Just wonder if VF have the way to separate phone connection vs router connection and only allow to connect to certain cells, but why would they do that...

The cell_id i get on the router are 7 digits but on the cell mapper they are 5 for 3G and 8 digits for 4G. For example on the router i see cell_id 2013054 while on cell mapper i see cell_id 52952- 52954 for 3G.

OKOIzCE.png

It looks like eNB ID 113498 covers my area and I do not have LOS to it due to trees plus i will have to move the antenna. It baffles me why a mast so far way would cover my area when there is another mast less than 0.5km away from me that covers a different direction. One would assume that the masts would cover the same area on all sides.

I am thinking the same as you that VF are restricting me to 3g cause they know I am using a router. Still weird the way i had 4G for 2 days and was getting up to 110Mb DL.

T2DQSI4.png

This is weird indeed...

Let me ask, are you using same SIM for driving around that is used in router, or is it different SIM (still with VF, different plan perhaps)?
    Hell if i know how VF is sorting their subscribers on various plans, worth a try.

This is weird indeed...

Let me ask, are you using same SIM for driving around that is used in router, or is it different SIM (still with VF, different plan perhaps)?
    Hell if i know how VF is sorting their subscribers on various plans, worth a try.

Using the same sim. My phone uses 3 sim so i took it out and used the VF one while the misses was at work.

even using the same APN

bummmm:confused:
    Ok, your router with Three SIM, does it read same ID's as mapped? Can you recognize masts there?

bummmm:confused:
    Ok, your router with Three SIM, does it read same ID's as mapped? Can you recognize masts there?

Getting a 6 digit cell_id when on 3 4g.

vqG4ccw.png

Could it be the router doing something to the cell_ID?

• Advertisement

length of a ID number irrelevant i think it is what it is.
    Cell#0 ID=101888 is on eNB ID 398 - LTE - info match

Advertisement