Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLR News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

brian2614 wrote: »
    You sound like a bully
    Her own ego was fairly large to.
    Blimey, talk about double standards....

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brian2614

91wx763 wrote: »
    Blimey, talk about double standards....

Your missing the point with both my comments!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

any good gossip guru sites to get the details on what went on

Your missing the point with both my comments!!!

I am reading between the lines...😅

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

Did Liz ever manage to go through a news bulletin without stumbling over her words?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Good Luck to Liz in whatever direction she chooses to point her career. She was a staple of the station for years and her news editorials were well rounded and very professional, in my opinion.

I had noticed she was missing and I find I've moved my listening to Radio One for the most part now, but I think that's more a reflection of my age than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What is it about radio chat that creates a flurry of new registrations? Happens on the radio forum often when a personality is the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Did Liz ever manage to go through a news bulletin without stumbling over her words?

Compared to the absolutely embarrassing and talent less transition year students who read the news and sport for Beat FM, she is a radio genius! I genuinely thought Beat were having a joke, a kind of "bring your toddler to work and they can read the news live on the air" day when I first heard a succession of youngsters splutter and stumble over basic facts and sentences, wrapped up as "news", but no, that is genuinely how sh!t they are at their job. Shocking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Compared to the absolutely embarrassing and talent less transition year students who read the news and sport for Beat FM, she is a radio genius! I genuinely thought Beat were having a joke, a kind of "bring your toddler to work and they can read the news live on the air" day when I first heard a succession of youngsters splutter and stumble over basic facts and sentences, wrapped up as "news", but no, that is genuinely how sh!t they are at their job. Shocking...

That’s the Beat business model. They’re like car dealerships. Bring in junior staff on **** money, they do a **** job and then they’re gone after 6 months. Beat is an abysmal radio station. Talentless, annoying presenters and crap music.

Motivator wrote: »
    That’s the Beat business model. They’re like car dealerships. Bring in junior staff on **** money, they do a **** job and then they’re gone after 6 months. Beat is an abysmal radio station. Talentless, annoying presenters and crap music.

Someone will be along on here to tell you off "innimently" as one of "foundation in broadcasting" poor souls on WLR might say....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Someone will be along on here to tell you off "innimently" as one of "foundation in broadcasting" poor souls on WLR might say....

I’d love to know who actually listens to Beat. Those clowns that are on first thing in the morning are insufferable. There’s a reason they’re still on that station for so many years, no other reputable station would have them.

WLR are a credit to local radio. Apart from Ollie Carroll, I could turn it on and leave it on all day. Excellent local sports coverage and good coverage of local news.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Motivator wrote: »
    I could turn it on and leave it on all day. Excellent local sports coverage and good coverage of local news.

So could I ,after I've left the room.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Gardner

The sports coverage on it is shocking. Tell me of one decent interview any of them did that was newsworthy, informative or hard hitting? When was the last time you recommend to a mate of a decent interview/podcast to listen back to on WLR? It was probably Kevin Casey with Maurice Shanahan.
    OTB and Second Captains is where the standard is at and not one of the so called local journalists would lace their boots in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Gardner wrote: »
    The sports coverage on it is shocking. Tell me of one decent interview any of them did that was newsworthy, informative or hard hitting? When was the last time you recommend to a mate of a decent interview/podcast to listen back to on WLR? It was probably Kevin Casey with Maurice Shanahan.
    OTB and Second Captains is where the standard is at and not one of the so called local journalists would lace their boots in any shape or form.

Can you point me in the direction of another local/regional station with OTB and Second Captains level of coverage? Or are we really comparing like for like here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

noby wrote: »
    Can you point me in the direction of another local/regional station with OTB and Second Captains level of coverage? Or are we really comparing like for like here?

while you're at it point me in direction of whoever has the inside scoop surprised they not reporting the gossip themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I had the radio on in the car over the weekend but the guy with the

silent 'P' in his name was in the seat and just wouldn't shut up talking

either before, during or after a track had finished!

A listener had requested a number from The Bay City Rollers but he

talked throughout the intro' until about half way and then cut for adverts!

What a complete shower of 'anchors' but then again, they wouldn't be

on their own in that department either!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

I had the radio on in the car over the weekend but the guy with the

silent 'P' in his name was in the seat and just wouldn't shut up talking

either before, during or after a track had finished!

A listener had requested a number from The Bay City Rollers but he

talked throughout the intro' until about half way and then cut for adverts!

What a complete shower of 'anchors' but then again, they wouldn't be

on their own in that department either!

John O'Shpea?

Good news to report, No nominees from Beat Breakfast for the IMRO awards and Vincent Bradley took to twitter to express his disappointment !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Covid killed the Radio, Pa!
    It's been dead for years son,
    It's been going down hill since Wells,
    Video even had a go in '81
    What went wrong Pa?
    Egos on the airwaves son!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

John O'Shpea?

Good news to report, No nominees from Beat Breakfast for the IMRO awards and Vincent Bradley took to twitter to express his disappointment !!

Sunday evening show with one of their more elder statesman!

Sunday evening show with one of their more elder statesman!

Boss's brother.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Boss's brother.....

Hes shocking. What kind of a weird, accent less voice is that? Also Ollie Caroll hes certainly not from Waterford with an accent like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I find the play the same playlist every day. Is this common for every radio station? Groundhog day comes to mind.

Hes shocking. What kind of a weird, accent less voice is that? Also Ollie Caroll hes certainly not from Waterford with an accent like that..

Ollie came from a WLR broadcasting foundation course, yeah he does remind you of Rick, wonder why he got the job :D

noby wrote: »

where do you think most of these lads started out???? local radio and small sports websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I see that WLR in their news story today have put Carrickbeg's Sam Bennett down as being from Carrick on Suir. Good work lads - thorough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Carrickbeg is in Tipp though and is merely that bit of Carrick on Suir that happens to be on the other side of the river - just like Ferrybank. Bennett himself was born in Flanders so is a blow in anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Sean Kelly said the other day that Tipp would try to claim him, like they did Kelly himself... but that Sam was a Waterford man through and through. And if the king said it, thats the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Quigs Snr wrote:
    Sean Kelly said the other day that Tipp would try to claim him, like they did Kelly himself... but that Sam was a Waterford man through and through. And if the king said it, thats the end of it.

Heard he was from kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Heard he was from kilkenny

No that's John O'Shea you're thinking of.

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    ha! Kelly is a drug cheat and has lied about it several times so i wouldn't trust him as far as i would throw him.

Advertisement