Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M4 resurfacing shoddy job

Options
  • 07-09-2020 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice how bad the new surface on the M4 between Kilcock and Maynooth exits is?

It holds a lot of surface water.

Looks to be a poor job and a danger in heavy rain. This morning you could see the surface has troughs where the water sits. and stops it draining away.

Hopefully NRA or whoever paid for it hasn't signed off on the payment for this.

I notice that my steering is wobbly on it also when I get above 120 or so. Fine on the old surface.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I notice that my steering is wobbly on it also when I get above 120 or so. Fine on the old surface.

Well given the speed limit, you'll never have to worry about that :p

I think the new M7 surface is worse if I'm honest though, maybe it's just general cheapness in the spec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Well given the speed limit, you'll never have to worry about that :p

I think the new M7 surface is worse if I'm honest though, maybe it's just general cheapness in the spec?

Yeh, lucky I don't go past 120 :)

Think that M4 section is smoother to reduce noise to the nearby residents. Looks like they didn't get the base right.

Any civil engineers like to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its a new type of tarmac used, very shiny but super grip, looks lake a lake surface nearly.

I'm not sure if it's the use of plastic as that's what some are using now in addition to the other materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Yeh, lucky I don't go past 120 :)

Think that M4 section is smoother to reduce noise to the nearby residents. Looks like they didn't get the base right.

Any civil engineers like to comment?

No need for that, I've found them all to be quite civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Its a new type of tarmac used, very shiny but super grip, looks lake a lake surface nearly.

I'm not sure if it's the use of plastic as that's what some are using now in addition to the other materials.
    It's so-called "Desert Spec" tarmac designed for very hot climates (eg the Middle East) - extremely hard-wearing but quite non-porous... Starting with the M50 widening project, the NRA specifies that motorway surfaces should contractually last 15-20yrs - or the contractor pays for any wear-related resurfacing needed below that - so this is what's been rolled out (pun intended) across the network as needed. As M50 users will be all too familiar, the downside is that it does not drain rainwater particularly well with huge volumes of spray kicked up whenever it rains. It's also lethal when damp conditions turn icy without salting or gritting.

It's called "Desert Spec" for a reason, and a desert this country ain't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's so-called "Desert Spec" tarmac designed for very hot climates (eg the Middle East) - extremely hard-wearing but quite non-porous... Starting with the M50 widening project, the NRA specifies that motorway surfaces should contractually last 15-20yrs - or the contractor pays for any wear-related resurfacing needed below that - this is what's been rolled out (pun intended) across the network as needed. As M50 users will be all to familiar, the downside is that it does not drain rain water particularly well with huge volumes of spray kicked up whenever it rains. It's also lethal when damp conditions turn icy without salting or gritting.

It's called "Desert Spec" for a reason, and a desert this country ain't...

Would I be right in saying plastic is added? I know it is in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It is lovely to drive on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Would I be right in saying plastic is added? I know it is in other countries.
    I'd imagine some form of resin (or plastic) is added to ensure it's very durable once set and has a high melting point - Bakelite is a plastic after all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

My steering is fine at 170 but I have all weather tires

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    My steering is fine at 170 but I have all weather tires
    1/10 must try harder

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement