Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Internationals may be with Amazon Prime!

Comments

Free to air would obviously be the most ideal scenario but I'd way prefer something like this over a TV package like Eir, bt or sky. TV needs to move on from cable package services ASAP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've Netflix and NowTV, I ain't getting another streaming package. If anything I'm thinking of dropping NowTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Reasonably cheap for viewers compared to Sky or BT subscriptions but those with no or slow broadband will lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Reasonably cheap for viewers compared to Sky or BT subscriptions but those with no or slow broadband will lose out.

At least you can get prime on a 1 month package rather than being tied into a 12 month contract

It’s also available for free for 12 months if you’re on Eir broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Think of the free Amazon deliveries just in time for Christmas...win win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Already have Prime so this is a nice surprise

Do RTE still have rights to Irelands autumn international home games?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In principle RTE still have a deal with the IRFU to broadcast their Autumn Internationals (Guinness Series) until 2021. My understanding is that this mooted Eight Nations (still not confirmed) basically replaces the Autumn internationals though, so I’m not sure what happens to that deal if the mooted tournament becomes a reality.

Worth noting - this article only states that a particular broadcaster is “interested” in broadcasting a tournament that at present doesn’t even officially exist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Are we sure that this will apply to Ireland? Amazon have rights to PL games in the UK, but Premier Sports have those games in Ireland. Ireland and the UK are different TV markets.

We can’t be sure about anything. There is no deal. There is no tournament yet for there to be a deal.

Sometimes deals are done on a U.K. & Ireland basis. Sometimes there are separate U.K. & Ireland deals. Often the pay TV side is U.K. & Ireland and the terrestrial deals are separate. The Amazon PL deal was a shocker in that it was the first time a U.K. pay tv broadcaster did not also get ROI mirror rights to the same games - we don’t know if that was because they didn’t bid or because Premier Sports saw an opportunity and outbid them. Amazon does hold ROI rights for other sports - tennis and NFL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fine if you live somewhere with good broadband. A huge amount of people don't have good enough BB to stream the Angelus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Zzippy wrote: »
    Fine if you live somewhere with good broadband. A huge amount of people don't have good enough BB to stream the Angelus.

No matter how good your broadband is, Live RTE player is a waste of time, complete rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Staggered times means we can watch all games , wohoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-s-november-clash-with-england-set-to-be-shown-on-amazon-prime-1.4351606
    Irish Times reporting that the 3 home games will be on RTE/Channel 4 but England game will be exclusive to amazon prime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

No matter how good your broadband is, Live RTE player is a waste of time, complete rubbish.

Then watch RTE on Saorview or Saorsat or Sky or watch C4 coverage on Freesat. Plenty of alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So will the final of this Autumn cup be 1st Grp A vs 1st Grp B ?

Seems pointless if theres no actual 'winner' of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yes and its providing games to replace the November Games. Not pointless at all as unions can sell the games regardless to TV companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭sioda

If they broadcast this in ultra HD on prime it would be amazing.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Is the winner of that game not the winner? Seems similar to the u20's world cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Happy day if on Prime. Have both Netflix and Prime but at this stage Netflix is starting to look tired compared to Prime

RTE certainly seem to be of the view that they will be televising Ireland’s home games at any rate:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0910/1164420-ireland-to-kick-off-autumn-nations-cup-as-georgia-join/

icdg wrote: »
    RTE certainly seem to be of the view that they will be televising Ireland’s home games at any rate:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0910/1164420-ireland-to-kick-off-autumn-nations-cup-as-georgia-join/

The IRFU see the three homes games as this years Guinness Series, so the TV contracts with RTE and Channel 4 are already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The IRFU see the three homes games as this years Guinness Series, so the TV contracts with RTE and Channel 4 are already in place.

It probably depends on who is running the competition?

Is it the Six Nations? In which case surely they would argue the rights are theirs to sell, not the IRFUs, or any individual union's.

bilston wrote: »
    It probably depends on who is running the competition?

Is it the Six Nations? In which case surely they would argue the rights are theirs to sell, not the IRFUs, or any individual union's.

It's in the IRFUs official press release.
    Ireland’s home games in the tournament will be played as the Guinness Series 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is there any other rugby on in November?

Would rugby fans not only need Amazon Prime for that month? Seems extremely reasonable pricing compared to most other deals you’ve needed to get in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭irelandrover

As long as it is on all european amazon primes and not only .co.uk then ill be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Would rugby fans not only need Amazon Prime for that month? Seems extremely reasonable pricing compared to most other deals you’ve needed to get in the past?

This is why I'm on board with it.

I pay for Prime already. But a cancel any time online subscription service is exactly what I wanted in a non FTA model.

The only other ones available at the moment are not available in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Mods change the thread title to WILL.

This better not be go blocked like that shambles wen they did some premier league games

• Advertisement

This could be a huge turning point for me. I don't pay to watch any rugby at present. I've been using dodgy streams all my life. I even recently got rid of standard sky box as I wasn't using it enough. I can't even watch free to air right now. I'm not willing to pay for a year's subscription for various channels and boxes when all I want is rugby and only rugby. Hopefully the streaming service works and isn't choppy. Spotify managed to crack the music industry for me. It was suddenly more convenient and better than pirating music. I'm very interested to see if amazon can do the same.

Advertisement