Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

tdf7187 wrote: »
    John Hume (with the exception of that stupid c*** Eoghan Harris).

Mentioned him. What an inspirational person. Forgot he was voted most loved irish person 10 years ago. Biggest compliment was from a Provo who wanted to shoot him and ended up holding him in esteem. For someone to have that effect on someone who has lived and breathed armed conflict all his life shows the amazing man he was

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/john-hume-when-i-was-jail-my-ira-comrades-said-we-should-shoot-him-now-i-admire-man-2932314

His life in pictures is amazing

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/john-hume-1937-2020-in-pictures-1.4320601

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

The Irish Patriot, John Waters

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

John Sheahan. Musician, poet, gentleman and all around national treasure.

I couldn't imagine anyone could speak ill of him.

Absolutely amazing man. All the Dubliners were and the Clancy Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Outspan from de commitments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Mister Tayto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

do they have to.be alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Larry Mullen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

joeguevara wrote: »
    Colm Meaney.

I don't know, seems to be quite affected in recent years, the accent isn't what it was etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Agreed, and he's been mentioned earlier. I'm fairly sure he's Sheehan though, and in the context of this thread I think it's worth mentioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Me! :)

I don't know the woman but for some unknown reason or maybe no reason at all she irritates the hell out of me.

I have nothing against her at all personally, her music isn’t to my taste but she clearly has a great voice but I used to be so irritated by her as she had a period around 5/6 years ago where you couldn’t turn on RTÉ for a few years and she wasn’t being rammed down your throat. Imelda May does fake Jools Holland, Imelda May’s New Years show, The Late Late featuring Imelda May (agaaaaain), Imelda May presents the Sunday Game...

RTÉ go through these phases, it feels like Nathan Carter was after Imelda, they’ve migrated to his brother now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Arthur Guinness

Terry Wogan

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Second that on Dubliners, Clancy Brothers, Imelda May and John Sheehan.

Has anyone mentioned Paddy Moloney, the late Derek Bell, and any/all of the Chieftains?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Universally loved????? They’re not even universally liked. No one is, Irish or not.

Shane McGowan. Ireland’s best ever ballad writer and many consider one of our best poets. He epitomises everything which is great and bad about genius. A perfectionist whose songs are amazing. How in almighty god is he still alive and I know it can get uncomfortable with how his alcohol abuse has consumed him but you can still see the twinkle.

His 60th birthday with its performers and audience including our president showed how loved he is but would be unfair to use him singing.

But to me, even though others sang it more melodically, the fact he wrote the song below, understood it and lived it makes him one of my heroes.

And another legend of a Tipperary man.

https://youtu.be/R-3CxYV3BqY

screamer wrote: »
    Universally loved????? They’re not even universally liked. No one is, Irish or not.

Bet your fun at parties. Next you will be telling us he didn’t get out of the cockadoodie car!

https://youtu.be/IxFa0w8n8iY

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well George clooney does coffee ads and Brad Pitt does whiskey ads in Japan. But more than likely was a follow on from his Brexit rebuke and also he quite openly lambasted the British press about their treatment of Martin McGuinness. He strikes me as loving any opportunity to stick it to them.

Here's where Clooney's coffee money goes

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/george-clooney-nespresso-spy-sattelite_n_3681937

And that’s where his Paddy Power Money goes and the reason he was in Star Trek. set up a satellite to spy on he Brits. But keep it hush.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Relieved not a mention of the odious Bob Geldof, surprised no mention of Sinead O Connor

Can I nominate myself?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

More of a tongue in cheek but if he steps forward on the world stage and says he considers himself Irish, whose going to turn down Jack.

Also, surely everyone in this video is universally loved. Well everyone loves Tipp.

Martin Sheen and Ronald Reagan.

Remember my parents bringing me to ballyporeen to meet Ronald when I was about 5

Yanks are not Irish. Including JFK.
    Born in yankland, to yank or naturalised yank parents, live their lives there too.
    Martin Sheen is a stage name, he's actually Ramón Gerard Antonio Martínez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Is there a list of acceptable accents before we look at achievements such as Olympic gold medal and undisputed champion of the world holding all belts, never done by anyone. And even though I hate religion, I never formed an opinion based on someone having a personal faith.

Must be nice to be holier than thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Brenda Fricker is well liked I would say. Saoirse Ronan. And that is hard for a lovely looking young one with talent and a madly successful career. And yet I have not heard anyone talk bad about her. John Creedon. Seamus Heaney. Seamus really was a king among people. Tom Crean also mentioned before, he was first to my mind.

.anon. wrote: »
    She's a woman though, so you can be guaranteed there'll be lads on Boards who don't like her.

I’d say you’re a hoot at parties. Must be hard to be self-righteous all the time.

Note to self: according to this plank, all men must like all women all the time or else they’re ..... sure let’s go with misogynists, as it sounds stupidly unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Are there any Irish people who are loved by everybody, or practically everybody anyway?
    The only 1 I can think of to even come close to it is Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.
    Any others?
    What do you take "universally" to mean? To me, in this context, it would mean "worldwide". If that's so, then he certainly doesn't qualify. I doubt there's many outside of Ireland who have ever heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not a golf fan. What is it apart from being a grumpy pr1ck but considering what he has been to is understandable.

So much. Allegedly cheating on his wife while she was dying of cancer is one. That was widely reported btw

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Vicky Phelan . Deservedly loved by everyone

Think again.

Yanks are not Irish. Including JFK.
    Born in yankland, to yank or naturalised yank parents.
    Martin Sheen is a stage name, he's actually Martínez.

Does the concept of tongue in cheek register with you bud.

You do know that this is not an encyclopaedia of untarnished Irish bloodline which will be used to restart humanity on Mars.

And as for Martin Sheen. His Uncle from Tipperary fought in the War of Independence. In my book that makes him Irish. Did you fight in it? https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hollywood-actor-martin-sheen-enormously-proud-of-uncles-ira-past-26817956.html

And again as I said to the other archbishop of rules of a random thread, did you get mad when he got out of the cockadoodie car

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You do know that this is not an encyclopaedia of untarnished Irish bloodline which will be used to restart humanity on Mars.

And as for Martin Sheen. His Uncle from Tipperary fought in the War of Independence. In my book that makes him Irish. Did you fight in it? https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hollywood-actor-martin-sheen-enormously-proud-of-uncles-ira-past-26817956.html

And again as I said to the other archbishop of rules of a random thread, did you get mad when he got out of the cockadoodie car

Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

.anon. wrote: »
    In the early '90s, the Sunday Independent used to have a hit piece on him every week. Really vicious stuff. A lot of those columnists haven't gone away either.

The IRA shot at his house and tried to burn it down with him and his family in it, so I guess they weren't big fans of his either.

The loyalists weren't smitten by him and his party either. They kidnapped his mate and secretary, brought them to a quarry and tortured and killed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

luckily no one gives a s**t about your book, or your YouTube library

Advertisement