Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the cop in the right ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There was only one way that was going to end. Seriously doubt he had a medical condition preventing wearing of a mask.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

If you have a "medical condition" that prevents you from wearing a mask... should you be out in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Scouselivesmatter not really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Internal Affairs were setting him up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Where was the back-up? That looked like it was going to turn VERY nasty and the (middle-aged) copper seemed to be completely alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Okay, calm down, calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Well if he had followed the request it would not have escalated.
    Hard to know if the cop was right or not,dont think it was wise getting physical without assistance. As was said already i could see it getting very violent very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Why didn't he just give the lad a mask in an attempt to defuse the situation. Yes, the cop should carry them on them. If he wasn't so aggressive, I mean the cop, the lad might have just put it on, if only for that particular journey.

I don't think it's a big deal if say 10% refuse to wear a mask. The net effect of 90% wearing them and 10% not won't make much difference in the long run.

In my experience British police aren't that nice to people over largely trivial things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yer man is one of those "I'm not resisting" types that seems to think that when given a direction (covered by law I believe but not as au fait with UK law) simply refusing and sitting there like a spoiled child is not resisting, and then gets bent out of shape when the law covered physical action is required. Granted, unlike a lot of others, he didn't lash out but was still resisting. Silly of the cop to go there without backup, but one is sometimes left on your own and will only get a backup call rather than initial assistance.

But again, it's hard to know what happened because we're only getting the event, instead of the lead up. We don't know what was said or shown before the video started recording (which I'd imagine only happened as they knew they were in the wrong and wanted 'evidence' of the cop doing cop things). Would like to have seen the rest of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think the cop should have maced the scouser...

... across the kneecaps with actual medieval mace and left him with a medical condition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I think the cop handled it wrong.

Should have asked him to get off the public transport, and then if the scouse victim complex sufferer refused, baton him and mace him.
    He did not seem medically ill when he was fronting up to the cop, and judging by his behavior and that of his friend it was obvious they were far from pillars of the community

As an asthmatic I find them hard to wear for an extended period of time.

edit: on that point, I've seen ppl with masks that have holes around the mouth area. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of wearing them?

I think the cop handled it wrong.

Should have asked him to get off the public transport, and then if the scouse victim complex sufferer refused, baton him and mace him.
    He did not seem medically ill when he was fronting up to the cop, and judging by his behavior and that of his friend it was obvious they were far from pillars of the community

Ah, i'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. Cop was called because someone on public transport wasn't wearing a mask, asked him to wear one or get off, yer man refused on both accounts, and the video started recording then. Doubt the cop just decided to go straight for him just because he wasn't wearing a mask.

Also, baton him and mace him, things that do happen, but have proper procedure and are only to be used if required. He did eventually mace him, but only after he started physically resisting he decided mace is a good call (because too many friends of yer man around, imo).

Crappy situation for cops to be in, even here in Ireland. Last thing they want is to enforce these regulations, but like yer man in the video has proven, it has to be enforced. Someone else might have been watching this thinking, well, if he's not wearing one, I'm not going to wear one. Now we see there are consequences to that, so that person may decided to keep wearing the mask to avoid a similar situation. So while it's crap it needs to be done, it has to be done. We, humanity, have proven time and time again we can't depend on our own species to look after one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,233 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Basically if you look at that page it's essentially Gemma O'Dorothy in the UK and you know what her and her followers are like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’ve watched so many incidents with US police on twitter lately that any of these videos I see which ends with the civilian having no holes in him is now deemed a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Does it really matter if the odd person doesn't/won't wear a mask.
    Police just jack boot over the simplest things sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was that Jamie Carragher? Coronavirus could have been going everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AllForIt wrote: »
    Why didn't he just give the lad a mask in an attempt to defuse the situation. Yes, the cop should carry them on them. If he wasn't so aggressive, I mean the cop, the lad might have just put it on, if only for that particular journey.

I don't think it's a big deal if say 10% refuse to wear a mask. The net effect of 90% wearing them and 10% not won't make much difference in the long run.

In my experience British police aren't that nice to people over largely trivial things.

Ahhh but People need to take responsibility for their actions... why should the police officer supply his mask to him, if it was here, I’m not going to be too enthused with the state , paying out money, in addition to the covid payment to procure tens of thousands of masks to throw to people who don’t value their own health and those of the rest of us to be arsed enough to buy and wear a bit of material that costs a couple of euros to buy. He just looks like a belligerent ahole. In fact he is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I would not expect to be spoken to like that if I was a Police Man for my Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If he doesn’t have shoes maybe he can ring his local Garda station and they’ll ask what size and bring him a pair of converse AND a mask.

• Advertisement

maybe its just me, but growing up in the 70s and 80s if you acted like that towards a guard you got a hiding judging by many people I knew

The fear was a great deterrent in fairness. None of that these days.

Strumms wrote: »
    Ahhh but People need to take responsibility for their actions... why should the police officer supply his mask to him, if it was here, I’m not going to be too enthused with the state , paying out money, in addition to the covid payment to procure tens of thousands of masks to throw to people who don’t value their own health and those of the rest of us to be arsed enough to buy and wear a bit of material that costs a couple of euros to buy. He just looks like a belligerent ahole. In fact he is...

I appreciate your points. But I'm just trying to be both realistic and pragmatic about it.

Let's face it, some ppl are a bit thick. How do you manage those kinds of ppl in a pandemic situation?

I really don't think coming across as the heavy is a good look. It might just inflame public option about the restrictions which people have a right to object to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is there a more revolting accent than scouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

J. Marston wrote: »

Inner city Dublin Skanger accent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Basically if you look at that page it's essentially Gemma O'Dorothy in the UK and you know what her and her followers are like!

We're not in Kansas now Dorothy.... we're in the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

J. Marston wrote: »

Californian D4 is worse.

I quite like the Liverpudlian accent, maybe because I grew up loving Thomas the Tank Engine, narrated by the one true talent in the Beatles.

scouse is my all time most despised accent. It sounds like they are trying to chew their own teeth whilst gargling semen.

Second has to be that from the worlds largest penal colony...australia.

third is the Kerry accent.

oh and the cork accent....and I am from cork......which is like a cross between a whimpering german shepherd, and a simpleton on helium

Oddly I like the geordie accent, and even the dublin accent and the welsh seems ok,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,174 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There is a reply to that tweet from the British Transport Police that says they were called because that guy was spitting on people. the copper should have batoned him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Mace them all.

Advertisement