Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Diverter for a PV System that has never been used before

Options
  • 02-09-2020 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hello,

I built my house in 2016.

At the time I installed four "Q.Cells QPeak 250" on the roof, I also kitted out the roof with fittings so that another 8 panels could be installed.

With funds drying up I didn't have the funds to install the diverter, the company was looking for 750 to do it, I had no arguments with cost, I just didn't have the money. Unfortunately now the company has liquidated.

I'm based in Galway.

At some stage I would like to get more panels fitted.

Just wondering roughly how much I would be looking at to get the diverter installed ? Would an electrician do it ? or would I need someone experienced in pv panels ? Ideally whilst they are it I would like to get a few extra panels installed too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

A diverter should cost no more than 500 Euro preferably 400. You can even do it cheaper if you buy an iBoost off eBay. As long as your immersion has a dedicated line to the fusebox you should be fine.

Though I wouldn't bother installing a diverter with 4 panels. There just wont be enough generation. 12 panels is a maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

garo wrote: »
    A diverter should cost no more than 500 Euro preferably 400. You can even do it cheaper if you buy an iBoost off eBay. As long as your immersion has a dedicated line to the fusebox you should be fine.

I'm about to have panels installed here and was looking at a solic diverter but have other sockets coming off the same fuse as the immersion. Is that an issue with all diverters?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

yes, you will have to change the other sockets to run off a different circuit on the main board. or wire the diverter to a dedicated circuit for the immersion.
    I had this problem.

irishchris wrote: »
    I'm about to have panels installed here and was looking at a solic diverter but have other sockets coming off the same fuse as the immersion. Is that an issue with all diverters?

Yes. I had the same problem as power shower was wired off same circuit. You'll need rewiring which adds to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

garo wrote: »
    Yes. I had the same problem as power shower was wired off same circuit. You'll need rewiring which adds to the cost.

Looking at the eddi diverter and as it is installed beside hot water cylinder can it not be installed on the existing wire that the immersion is as the Harvey with clamp sends signal to eddi to activate the immersion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

If the immersion is working fine for years. Surly adding a pv diverter to control the immersion heater element in place of a switch or timer would not change to total load on that circuit?

irishchris wrote: »
    Looking at the eddi diverter and as it is installed beside hot water cylinder can it not be installed on the existing wire that the immersion is as the Harvey with clamp sends signal to eddi to activate the immersion?

Well if you are getting a Harvi that changes things. You can transmit the signal wirelessly and install the Eddi next to the immersion switch rather than next to the fuse box.

lightson wrote: »
    If the immersion is working fine for years. Surly adding a pv diverter to control the immersion heater element in place of a switch or timer would not change to total load on that circuit?

The problem is that when there is no excess PV the circuit to the immersion has no power running in it and if other devices share that circuit they get no power either.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

some of the diverters are fitted next to the element so only modulate at at the end of the circuit. The rest of the feed circuit is live at all times so I dont see this being an issue. I think the Iboost just replaces your clock in the hotpress

True but you still need to have a cable from the CT clamb near the meter to the iBoost for monitoring - unless it support wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Clamp for the iboost is wireless.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3KAPiYBeq8

Thanks. That makes life easy! You can put the iBoost wherever. Heck I might even look for a cheap one for a self-install now.

Advertisement