Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WLR News

• 31-08-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Has Liz Ready left WLR. I have not heard her read the news on the station with some time now. It might be that I mostly listen in the mornings and she is doing afternoons.

Also in the last few weeks I have heard those that read the news in the past return from time to time to do so, Aoibhin Fallon, Mary O'Neill, Karen Tomkins, Anthony McFeeley. Today I hear Julie Smith on the news. I thought she was working on Damien Tiernan's show. Maybe he has his regular producer back. We will hear I guess just before 12 when he signs off. I think I even heard the Kelly Lad that took over from Gavin Whelan on Sport read the news one morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

blacksuir wrote: »
    Has Liz Ready left WLR. I have not heard her read the news on the station with some time now. It might be that I mostly listen in the mornings and she is doing afternoons.

Also in the last few weeks I have heard those that read the news in the past return from time to time to do so, Aoibhin Fallon, Mary O'Neill, Karen Tomkins, Anthony McFeeley. Today I hear Julie Smith on the news. I thought she was working on Damien Tiernan's show. Maybe he has his regular producer back. We will hear I guess just before 12 when he signs off. I think I even heard the Kelly Lad that took over from Gavin Whelan on Sport read the news one morning.

Come to think of it, i havent heard Liz Reddy for months now; is she gone? Same for the girl who did the DriveTime Teresanne Reilly, havent heard from her recently. Maybe they are on leave or working away in the background but not on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Teresanne quit radio presenting last year I think no idea whats she doing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Teresanne left last year and started her own marketing company i think.

Looks like Julie Smyth got liz Reddys job so maybe she is gone

https://twitter.com/jooliek/status/1300458484367069184

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Is Gavin Whelan gone from WLR? Pity, he's a great loss with a vast sporting knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Is Gavin Whelan gone from WLR? Pity, he's a great loss with a vast sporting knowledge.
    He's still there. Hosts the "On the Ball" sports programme. Is also doing commentary for the live match streams on BEOSport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Teresanne left last year and started her own marketing company i think.

Looks like Julie Smyth got liz Reddys job so maybe she is gone

https://twitter.com/jooliek/status/1300458484367069184

Gone since about last May the grapevine says. Damien's wages too much for Des so cutbacks have to be made, cheap/free broadcasting course applicants need only apply now.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Liz leaving had absolutely nothing to do with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Aquos76 wrote: »

I believe she’s out on sick leave.

91wx763 wrote: »
    Gone since about last May the grapevine says. Damien's wages too much for Des so cutbacks have to be made, cheap/free broadcasting course applicants need only apply now.

He is worth every penny after that brilliant interview this morning, riveting stuff.

200motels wrote: »
    I believe she’s out on sick leave.

Nope, she has officially left the station along with another member of staff.

• Advertisement

Nope, she has officially left the station along with another member of staff.

Oh that was kept quiet. I knew i didnt hear her for a while. Odd that there wasnt a big send off considering how long she was there. Mind you i didnt notice she was gone until i read this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brian2614

Relieved of duty..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

anybody have the inside scoop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

brian2614 wrote: »
    Relieved of duty..

love it tell us more

Correct..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Andy at Beat, Liz at WLR - would be worried for other dead wood at the stations :P

Not that I listen to WLR News reguarly, disapointed she is gone. Her twitter appears to be very active with retweets in terms of news.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Andy at Beat, Liz at WLR - would be worried for other dead wood at the stations :P

Not that I listen to WLR News reguarly, disapointed she is gone. Her twitter appears to be very active with retweets in terms of news.

Andy was too good for Beat anyway. He's been snapped up by WLR and is back to his best.

Worse than a gossip is someone who pretends but says no more.

Andy Mc and Liz certainly not dead wood.

Covid has hit an underperforming business hard.

If that’s aimed at me, I’m not going to post what I know on here, all I’ll say is the reason liz is gone is nothing to do with money or covid. Others can speculate all they like, and it may come out one day, but it won’t me me that puts it out there.

You sound like a bully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Very quick with the judgements and insults despite you not knowing the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Maybe if people are unwilling to say something, they shouldn't say anything, instead of silly "I know but I'm not telling you" posts.

brian2614 wrote: »
    You sound like a bully

Think there's an "attack the post not the poster" rule around here.....

Good luck to her. Its odd that there was no send off for Liz given how long she was there but reading between the lines from some posts, it seems there is some bad feeling over her departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Radio is a tough old gig,after years of i assume loyal service you are gone and your name is to never be spoken again,it reminds me of TodayFM when Muireann o'Connell and Kelly Anne Byrne were sacked their names were never heard again on the air,not even one of the DJ's on WLR who have worked there for 20+ years would even say best of luck and thanks for all the work you done,i don't know why Liz is gone and i don't really care but did she deserve to be cast aside like that...

WLR and Beat look like terrible places to work,id say there is lots of big ego's in the broadcast centre.

Radio is a tough old gig,after years of i assume loyal service you are gone and your name is to never be spoken again,it reminds me of TodayFM when Muireann o'Connell and Kelly Anne Byrne were sacked their names were never heard again on the air,not even one of the DJ's on WLR who have worked there for 20+ years would even say best of luck and thanks for all the work you done,i don't know why Liz is gone and i don't really care but did she deserve to be cast aside like that...

WLR and Beat look like terrible places to work,id say there is lots of big ego's in the broadcast centre.

Radio really is a tough gig these days,ego's everywhere..A few stations can be terrible places to work..I wish Liz all the best..I hope she will get a gig at some other station..

Her own ego was fairly large to.

Radio really is a tough gig these days,ego's everywhere..A few stations can be terrible places to work..I wish Liz all the best..I hope she will get a gig at some other station..

I loved Liz saying the news, she was one of the best there, its up to Geoff and Matt Keane to carry the station now.

Egos everywhere? Imagine the canteen in the broadcast centre at 11 o clock break, would you rather sit with Niall & Vinny from Beat or Oliver Carroll. Bleak times.

• Advertisement

I loved Liz saying the news, she was one of the best there, its up to Geoff and Matt Keane to carry the station now.

Egos everywhere? Imagine the canteen in the broadcast centre at 11 o clock break, would you rather sit with Niall & Vinny from Beat or Oliver Carroll. Bleak times.

Niall and Vinny are absolutely tragic at this stage. 40 something men acting like they are in their late teens. Cringey on the breakfast show, they are like 2 embarrassing uncles at a wedding. Mary O Neill had enough cop on to move on and carve out a decent rep as a journanalist before she was typecast.

Advertisement