Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wicklow Round - A looped course covering 26 peaks totalling over 100K and over 6,

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭finbarrrr

The Recces are important alright, I had the route recced to death and back again for my failed attempt last year. On the day of the attempt I knew the route so well navigation wasn't an issue. Alas weather did with me picking a bad day..

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Peterx wrote: »
    Very enjoyable film and chat afterwards last evening in the UCD Orienteers private cinema :)

When asked what was the tough moment during their rounds Gavin said it was all easy and Paddy said the wind - which equates to it was all easy - as no one with any sense (ie: no one living close to Wicklow) is going to pick a windy day.
    Moire essentially also said it was all easy as she said her hardest moment was mental tiredness during a failed attempt - on her successful attempt - well she was successful :)

What I took from that is be lucky and be patient, do the round on one of those days where you are on fire and the weather is good.
    And recces. Many recces for Gavin/Moire and two in depth recces for Paddy.

is there anywhere to see the film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

paulocon2 wrote: »
    is there anywhere to see the film?

It is to appear at a couple more film festivals in the early part of 2020. I expect later in the year it'll be available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

May be of interest to folks here....

Would you love to do the Wicklow Round but feel it’s beyond your reach? Would you like to recce the route, but at a leisurely no-stress pace?

Happy Out Adventures is super excited to announce an exclusive Wicklow Round recce weekend, Saturday 23 May and Sunday 24 May 2020. We’re breaking the route in two, navigating on your behalf and traveling it at your pace, with an overnight home-stay in the picturesque Glenmalure Valley.

https://happyoutadventures.com/product/wicklow-round-recce-230520/

After a lull in Round activity this year mainly down to the lockdown, we were given the treat of 2 attempts, pretty much back to back to look forward too over the weekend of Jun 20/21.

First up was Graham Bushe who went out at 2am in calm and clear conditions. Unfortunately his tracker was faulty so keeping track of his progress proved a bit difficult. It became clear as the day progressed that the weather started to worsen with heavy winds kicking up and poor visibility setting in. Not what you want on the back half of the Round! The poor conditions proved too much for Graham and he came across the finish line an agonising 10 mins over the max 24 hours allotted for a successful completions. Heart ache for him no doubt but none the less this was still a fantastic achievement and I really hope to see Graham back this summer to make amends.

Next up was a somewhat unknown Greg Clarke who set out at 2:30 am on the Sunday. He headed off into the same rough conditions but luckily for him the weather settled down and apart from a decent breeze, the day was perfect for mountain running. Greg’s tracker was working and it was clear that he was making very good progress from the off and all reports were that he was going strong and looking fresh. I got up to Scarr to see him and had a quick chat and it was like he had just begun his run he seemed that fresh and alert. Quite the feat considering all the miles in his legs and the lack of sleep. I was able to see him again as he entered into Oldboleys and again, he seemed incredible fresh considering! I headed up to the start/finish where there was a decent crowd gathering including Richard Nunan, Lillian Deegan, John Murray, Laurence Colleran and many others including Greg’s proud folks. Greg powered across the finish line at 9:53 pm in smashing time of 19h:23m to become the 36th person to complete the Round since Moiré’s successful attempt way back in May on 2009.

So what’s next for the Round this year? Well quite a lot as rumour has it. If the weather plays ball, I can see another 4/5 attempts at least with a few more woman taking on the challenge too which would be fantastic to see! Watch this space…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

May be of interest to folks here....

Would you love to do the Wicklow Round but feel it’s beyond your reach? Would you like to recce the route, but at a leisurely no-stress pace?

Happy Out Adventures is super excited to announce an exclusive Wicklow Round recce weekend, Saturday 23 May and Sunday 24 May 2020. We’re breaking the route in two, navigating on your behalf and traveling it at your pace, with an overnight home-stay in the picturesque Glenmalure Valley.

https://happyoutadventures.com/product/wicklow-round-recce-230520/

I'm keen to organise a group to do this, could you DM me please? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

TomD101 wrote: »
    I'm keen to organise a group to do this, could you DM me please? Thanks!

Obviously a few factors before committing availability being the main one as Im looking at a few different events but still undecided as to what to pick so keep in touch. DM sent

Hard luck to Tom Roche last weekend. It was some effort none the less! No doubt he will be back for more, as will Graham, I am sure.

• Advertisement

In other WR news, I note that over on the IMRA forum that Paul O Callaghan has given notice for a DOUBLE round attempt. I know this was attempted once before but it was not completed. This would be some feat if he pulls its off!

Now with another attempt on the cards for this weekend it seems to be the gift that keeps on giving!

Ivana's notice: https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/5578

Tracker link: http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowround20/

I'll try get out at some stage over the weekend to get a few pics.

Enjoy the dot watching!

S2S

Get in touch with Moire if this 3 day recce of the Wicklow Round is of interest to any of you

https://happyoutadventures.com/product/wicklow-round-recce-3day-021020/?fbclid=IwAR0x-17lsprJK4Xrl_qHc8TtWG3QW-oYoeDvYEWvShON1ybl0K3GBAEf3KM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Plenty of attempts to come over the bank holiday weekend after a fantastic round by Andrew Trafford last weekend with notable mention to Jim Walsh persevering through horrendous conditions earlier.

http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowround21/ to dot watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

A pretty amazing long weekend of quality dot watching from the safety of the couch saw several very good within the 24 hour cutoff completions, one record, one DNF and 2 timed out completions.
    The Primal Tracking dot watching is just incredible. I saw several very interesting route options that wouldn't have occurred to me to look at otherwise.

There's no secrets with the blue line :)

The pioneers of the Wicklow Round were nearly playing a different game...

Advertisement