Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Was a very stressed out looking DC mechanic trying to get one of the Setras going at the Red Cow Luas at 8am the other morning. He managed it after about 5 mins prodding and searching around the engine bay with his spotlamp. Doesn't exactly fill the customers queuing up for said bus with confidence though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

devnull wrote: »
    It's no longer licensed for service and hasn't been for a while.

But somehow the setras still are?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Got it from Dublin to Kilkenny this eve. They put on a separate bus to Kilkenny only- Waterford bus was the first one- only 45 mins later than the scheduled time! But was one of the very comfortable lovely Merc buses.
    Be great if they would just scrap the old Setras and have all these ones. Personal lights, vents that work. Also USB charging points which is very handy.
    Route has really taken off. People love the direct route via the motorway I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

embraer170 wrote: »
    When are the new coaches arriving?

Some of you post this sort of question assuming that it will sort their problems out, it won't. A partial fleet replacement with new coaches will not solve the underlying issues with DC that have plagued this operator for years.

Their maintenance standards are appalling, coaches do astronomical mileage and unless the inspection and servicing regime is pre-empting failures they will have a high fault rate. This is true of newer vehicles as well as old ones and the fact that newer DC coaches are also to be seen sitting by the roadside bears this out.

Other operators use vehicles as old or older than the DC Setras and do not litter our main roads with defective coaches in the way this crowd do. Aircoach never had the same level of incidents with the very same vehicles which they ran intensively up to their sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Some of you post this sort of question assuming that it will sort their problems out, it won't. A partial fleet replacement with new coaches will not solve the underlying issues with DC that have plagued this operator for years.

Their maintenance standards are appalling, coaches do astronomical mileage and unless the inspection and servicing regime is pre-empting failures they will have a high fault rate. This is true of newer vehicles as well as old ones and the fact that newer DC coaches are also to be seen sitting by the roadside bears this out.

Other operators use vehicles as old or older than the DC Setras and do not litter our main roads with defective coaches in the way this crowd do. Aircoach never had the same level of incidents with the very same vehicles which they ran intensively up to their sale.

It was the same man running it, they were leased, he sold out, ends up buying the clapped out dung, runs till they crash or burn... Literally.

He must be making money on this venture as with aircoach it was loss making but made a killing selling it off/licence to first group.

First kept this sermcret for a long time and eventually they put their brand name on their fleet.

Aircoach Tri axle fleet are getting near their end too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Seeing as this thread has woken up.....

Brake light, nah. Wonder when it got dinged and into what ? Looks very Aircoach blue if you ask me !!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

91wx763 wrote: »

Brake light, nah. Wonder when it got dinged and into what ? Looks very Aircoach blue if you ask me !!!

Looks like a ComfortClass Setra rather than TopClass Setra and also seems to have a KE registration so it was one that Dublin Coach had from new or bought second hand, but certainly not Aircoach as all theirs were TopClass on 03/04 plates with Dublin registrations.

Looks like a ComfortClass Setra rather than TopClass Setra and also seems to have a KE registration so it was one that Dublin Coach had from new or bought second hand, but certainly not Aircoach as all theirs were TopClass on 03/04 plates with Dublin registrations.

Wasn't an aircoach it's an import most likely and wasn't bought new be dc. That ain't aircoach blue, it would be a better match to db darker blue.

Only new coach they bought are from 2014 onwards.

The 2014 Tri axle single decks were used on the Dublin tours for a year for tax purposes.

Saved him a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ballybeg looking good :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

That seems like a very dangerous place to place a disabled parking space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Looks more like the spot for the wheelchair users to board the bus, or where the wheelchair ramp will be lowered?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

It isn't, it is the waiting area for disabled passengers.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    It isn't, it is the waiting area for disabled passengers.

Out in the rain and not under the shelter.... Seems an absolute waste of paint to be honest...

Out in the rain and not under the shelter.... Seems an absolute waste of paint to be honest...

Welcome to the joined up thinking of Waterford city and county council...

So busy they've had to lay on two coaches for the 1500 Waterford to Dublin, time for hourly on the m9 service?

So busy they've had to lay on two coaches for the 1500 Waterford to Dublin, time for hourly on the m9 service?

Was same one Friday evening lately. One just served Kilkenny so they just separated the passengers out.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The bus to Cork from MacDonagh Junction at 5 40 pm was actually on time. The coach that turned up to the stop was empty. I wonder did the run a separate bus from Dublin to Kilkenny for the first leg of the trip.

Only 3 people got on at Ormonde Road, I don't think I've ever seen so few get on the bus at this time on a Friday.

The bus to Cork from MacDonagh Junction at 5 40 pm was actually on time. The coach that turned up to the stop was empty. I wonder did the run a separate bus from Dublin to Kilkenny for the first leg of the trip.

Only 3 people got on at Ormonde Road, I don't think I've ever seen so few get on the bus at this time on a Friday.

Since the Naas M7 works finished bus times out of Dublin seem to be a bit more reliable. One I was on last week did Dublin city centre to Kilkenny in 1 hr 35 mins including stop at Red Cow which is pretty damn good to be fair and bus was pretty much full too- some of the very long Dublin Bus journeys within/around Dublin can take longer! That's beating the train taking in travel to Heuston and only €10 also.
    Would love to see the service go hourly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Has anybody any clue if this company exists anymore or has any intention of restarting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭p_haugh

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Has anybody any clue if this company exists anymore or has any intention of restarting?

I've seen on another thread that they have put out ads on indeed for bus drivers

• Advertisement

JeffK88 wrote: »

There's been nothing to suggest that they won't, apart from people creating speculation based on the fact they are not operating and not a thing more.

There's been nothing to suggest that they won't, apart from people creating speculation based on the fact they are not operating and not a thing more.
    They have not brought out the coaches to any of the outstations yet, but JJ Kavanagh have resumed services in their entirety. Does make you wonder.

I’ve seen they’re looking for drivers so they are coming back. Being so crap to work for probably has been very hard for them to retain staff through the lockdown

They have not brought out the coaches to any of the outstations yet, but JJ Kavanagh have resumed services in their entirety. Does make you wonder.

There's far more companies than Dublin Coach who operate similar kind of services to Dublin Coach who are also not operating, I see no speculation about them and unlike Dublin Coach, those companies are not recruiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

There's far more companies than Dublin Coach who operate similar kind of services to Dublin Coach who are also not operating, I see no speculation about them and unlike Dublin Coach, those companies are not recruiting.

I'm afraid that nobody operates the kind of service that DC operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Unfortunately when no news comes out all sorts of rumours float about. The mere fact they are hiring staff shows there is some movement behind the scenes. I've heard from drivers in the pre-covid that the company was for sale. But this is all speculation of course

Wonder will the setras make a return?

Absolutely disgraceful they're still in the road if they do.

DC creates this kind of situations by not communicating. In the public domain and providing a public service that people do depend on is good manners. Even if it’s not good news or a major delay.
    I frequently use the M9 service as it’s very quick and cheap, frequent but wouldn’t be under any illusions about the company itself. It is what it is and definitely a step down from competition

Wonder will the setras make a return?

Absolutely disgraceful they're still in the road if they do.

Sure what else will they do? If anything with the social distancing you’d imagine they’d need more buses not less

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Sure what else will they do? If anything with the social distancing you’d imagine they’d need more buses not less

Did you see them?

Duct tape, plastic bags or straps holding panels together and smoke etc, interior in shambles.

Advertisement