Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not Having People to Golf With in Competitions?

• 01-09-2020 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys

I joined a golf club a couple of months ago and I would love to play the club tourneys and weekly open singles more to try reduce my handicap!
    Most of my mates don't golf or aren't free when I can play.

My club takes bookings via BRS app and afew times I decided last min to try get out for the open singles, I scroll the app see a guy booked in a slot by himself ideal, I reserve a slot beside him and 15 mins later he changes the slot so I just didn't go! This happened a few times so I haven't bothered booking in beside anyone else.

Anyone else having a similar problem or any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Scaltan

This says something to me about how some golf clubs operate. New members should be welcomed and buddied up for at least an initial round with a member to get a fix on the course. This could also be a way for the new member to get a sense of who else might have joined and generally get an insight into the culture of the club. This in my view would not entail a lot of effort on a well organized welcoming club. After you shell out many hundreds (or thousands) your club should respect this and make an effort to integrate any new member into the club. After all even from a commercial perspective a club is more likely to hold on to a member if it looks after them than if it pretty much ignores them. Interested to hear other views

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

DuffMan147 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I joined a golf club a couple of months ago and I would love to play the club tourneys and weekly open singles more to try reduce my handicap!

My club takes bookings via BRS app and afew times I decided last min to try get out for the open singles, I scroll the app see a guy booked in a slot by himself ideal, I reserve a slot beside him and 15 mins later he changes the slot so I just didn't go! This happened a few times so I haven't bothered booking in beside anyone else.

Just book turn up and play. Don't worry about that lad.

You can't play a comp by himself so not sure what he was planning. I was in a similar situation when I first joined a club. Got playing with randomers and got to know people fast.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Hey guys

Hi Phil, sorry to hear about your dilemma ...... especially now that you have more time on your hands.

I blame the media tbh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

I recently joined a club also OP, with a mate, but usually we aren’t able to get out at the same times so I just jump in where I see a free space with two/three other lads. Good way of meeting people and the vast majority of them are more than happy to have another player aswell. I wouldn’t be worrying about joining as a single player. Just get out there and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Hey guys

It shouldn’t be happening frequently, are you looking up play at unusual times like afternoon on a midweek open? Maybe the odd time the email notification when you join the line might remind the other player they had a booking they forgot about which then makes them say “oh ****” and immediately cancel the tee time as they’re working/committee to something else but it’s a bit unusual. My only advice is to try get there for busy times like weekend morning comps, the same guys usually play around the same times every week and you’ll hopefully get to know people through familiarity.

I used to have an irrational fear I’d turn up and there’d be no one to play with but I must have played 50+ opens in random places and it was an unfounded fear really. Just keep turning up.

I only had it happen to me once where I get let down but it was after I arrived at an away course for an open. The pro took pity on me and said I could play a freebie single (not in the open obvs) round, but luckily there was a full three who were down to play, one of which was an ex captain who didn’t know the other two lads very well he was due to play with and just as I was about to tee off by myself he came over and absolutely insisted if I had come to the club for an open I would get to play an open. Sound fella as well. I played complete ****e obviously. It was New Ross golf club and I’ll always think of it as a “sound” spot after that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

It shouldn’t be happening frequently, are you looking up play at unusual times like afternoon on a midweek open? Maybe the odd time the email notification when you join the line might remind the other player they had a booking they forgot about which then makes them say “oh ****” and immediately cancel the tee time as they’re working/committee to something else but it’s a bit unusual. My only advice is to try get there for busy times like weekend morning comps, the same guys usually play around the same times every week and you’ll hopefully get to know people through familiarity.

I used to have an irrational fear I’d turn up and there’d be no one to play with but I must have played 50+ opens in random places and it was an unfounded fear really. Just keep turning up.

I only had it happen to me once where I get let down but it was after I arrived at an away course for an open. The pro took pity on me and said I could play a freebie single (not in the open obvs) round, but luckily there was a full three who were down to play, one of which was an ex captain who didn’t know the other two lads very well he was due to play with and just as I was about to tee off by myself he came over and absolutely insisted if I had come to the club for an open I would get to play an open. Sound fella as well. I played complete ****e obviously. It was New Ross golf club and I’ll always think of it as a “sound” spot after that!!

I play a bit in new Ross, I’m a member of Enniscorthy, but new Ross are always really nice club, bar and staff are always sound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I only golf with randomers.

My brother and mate are members in other clubs.

I just put my name down and turn up.

Apart from my very first round as a member, everyone has been sound. I think i have played with the same people maybe 3 times max in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

I'm not playing long but my experience is that no one cares how anyone else plays. No matter how crap you are once you aren't rude or excessively slow (ie picking up if having a nightmare hole)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Stick at it, keep putting your name down and it will all work out eventually, unless of course it's a club full of selfish p%%%%s :D

When I first joined Moate I played with the lads who had introduced me to the club on a Sunday afternoon but I had young kids and the time didnt really suit me.
    After a few weeks I switched to very early Sunday morning and after about 5/6 weeks of playing with random groups (all fine bar 2 lads who didnt speak to me for the entire round one morning) I joined a 3 ball and at the end of the round they said we play at this time every Sunday if you want to pop your name down again with us.

18 years later I am still playing with 2 of them and they've basically become 2 of my best friends and I'd still be in touch with the other lad who moved clubs about 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Book in on lines with 2 or 3 players to increase your chances. And try not to leave it until the last minute if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭REFLINE1

Was much the same for me when i joined as my buddy couldn't make same days as me often. Stuck with it and now have met loads of sound lads that i'd look forward to playing with. typically the ratio of wan$%*s to decent skins is low in most clubs. I've kept note of a few lads to avoid though as ive better things to be doing than spending 4 hours in the company of people like that. Stick with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have no problem with just sticking my name down, especially opens where I want to play the course but I have a bug bear with friends/acquaintances who don't want randomers joining them and sticking my name down when I've no intention to play that day.
    I think this goes on a bit so when you get out on the course and think your 3ball is behind a 4ball and it turns out you are behind a 2ball then this could be the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Ryder wrote: »
    I'm not playing long but my experience is that no one cares how anyone else plays. No matter how crap you are once you aren't rude or excessively slow (ie picking up if having a nightmare hole)

This x 1000

I know beginners are terrified that experienced golfers don't want to play with them and will resent the intrusion. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most golfers have waay too much going on in their head to worry about someone else's sh*te golf.

Don't be a dick and don't be slow - pick up the ball if you're slowing the group down, even in strokeplay. After that, no-one cares

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

This x 1000

I know beginners are terrified that experienced golfers don't want to play with them and will resent the intrusion. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most golfers have waay too much going on in their head to worry about someone else's sh*te golf.

Don't be a dick and don't be slow - pick up the ball if you're slowing the group down, even in strokeplay. After that, no-one cares

Honestly, I care. Add looking for balls up and down high dunes on every second hole, it's taxing, knees aren't what they were, and I find myself skipping my routine and speeding up to avoid delaying the field. I always play better in a group that's hitting fairways, and with one day a week to play singles and reduce my hc I'm not going to waste it.

18 casual holes or a team comp/fourball, no problem at all.

On a sidenote to the OP, I try to play with just family and friends as it's the only time I get to see them during the week, so it's not that I don't like playing with strangers, I do and do, but my preference is to see my kin.

Maybe try booking in with 2 or 3 people.

Stick your name down beside people. Most golfers want a 4 ball for competitions. Sounds like you were unlucky so far.

You get the odd a'hole but the vast majority of golfers are decent.

slave1 wrote: »
    I have no problem with just sticking my name down, especially opens where I want to play the course but I have a bug bear with friends/acquaintances who don't want randomers joining them and sticking my name down when I've no intention to play that day.
    I think this goes on a bit so when you get out on the course and think your 3ball is behind a 4ball and it turns out you are behind a 2ball then this could be the reason

People who dont want anyone joining them will block the slot most times.

If you see 2 or 3 ball in a slot on competitions days you are usually grand to join them.

I play with myself or another guy and we are always fine with people joining us. We often stick our names down with other golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Hoboo wrote: »
    Honestly, I care. Add looking for balls up and down high dunes on every second hole, it's taxing, knees aren't what they were, and I find myself skipping my routine and speeding up to avoid delaying the field. I always play better in a group that's hitting fairways, and with one day a week to play singles and reduce my hc I'm not going to waste it.

18 casual holes or a team comp/fourball, no problem at all.

On a sidenote to the OP, I try to play with just family and friends as it's the only time I get to see them during the week, so it's not that I don't like playing with strangers, I do and do, but my preference is to see my kin.

Maybe try booking in with 2 or 3 people.

But if you are on the timesheet on your own and a randomer joins you would you delete your booking and leave them on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But if you are on the timesheet on your own and a randomer joins you would you delete your booking and leave them on their own?

Anytime after Wednesday for the upcoming Saturday would require you contact the people you are leaving (even if they are two of them) to let them know/apologise. Its a bit of a grey area if there are people on the waiting list who will automatically slot in, but still, its hard a killer to lookup their number and shoot them a txt.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

At OP, would you not mention your dilemma to the guys in the pro-shop that manage the course and they may try help resolve or point you towards the more accommodating members. I'm sure they want to keep everyone happy and keep the members happy. The last thing any golf club wants is bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I joined Arklow golf club this year and the staff have been amazing and always trying to accommodate members. At the end of the day we are their customers.

• Advertisement

No, definitely not. I always book in with 2/3 friends so the line is full anyhow, but no, Id never skip on someone, although it's been done on me up to 20 mins before tee off. I've played fourballs with randomers when my partner couldn't make it just to mark their card.

To be fair most beginners aren't too wayward, just short or multiple shots which i don't mind, we've all been there. It's the lads trying to hammer drives when they can't and they block them 150 yards up the side of a 60ft dune that kills me, and my knees.

I've lots of patience, but 4 hours on the flat is my max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DuffMan147

Thanks for the responses lads.

I'm decent enough so I'm not worried about slowing anyone down. I've been playing for a good few years, just my first time joining a club. So its more about the etiquette of firing your name down with randoms mostly last min. Like it has been said above if a 2 or 3 ball don't want randoms joining they should just res all the slots. I'll just fire the name down and show up, It'll be grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm decent enough so I'm not worried about slowing anyone down. I've been playing for a good few years, just my first time joining a club. So its more about the etiquette of firing your name down with randoms mostly last min. Like it has been said above if a 2 or 3 ball don't want randoms joining they should just res all the slots. I'll just fire the name down and show up, It'll be grand!!
    Another thing to do is if your club run scrambles or rumbles that are drawn or if there are singles matchplay comps, enter those and you'll get to meet more members too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

There no etiquette when its a comp. In our place you can throw you name in anywhere even for casual play,particulary since Covid as slots are limited. You might come across the odd crank but everywhere has them.

Agree with other poster that clubs need to do more for new members.There should be a form of induction for new members. We had a number of designated slots even at prime comp times where 2 new member could book into a slot and be joined by 2 existing members. Also held an induction evening for new members and threw in a few free pints too,good way to break the ice. I still play reguraly with a couple of people i met there. Joining a club can be intimidating and clubs really need to look after them and not just take the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

There no etiquette when its a comp. In our place you can throw you name in anywhere even for casual play,particulary since Covid as slots are limited. You might come across the odd crank but everywhere has them.

Agree with other poster that clubs need to do more for new members.There should be a form of induction for new members. We had a number of designated slots even at prime comp times where 2 new member could book into a slot and be joined by 2 existing members. Also held an induction evening for new members and threw in a few free pints too,good way to break the ice. I still play regularly with a couple of people i met there. Joining a club can be intimidating and clubs really need to look after them and not just take the cash.

+1 on the induction for new members. I had plenty of contacts in the club already including the pro so it was pretty easy for me to settle in and ask questions on how various things work. A couple of mates joined at the same time and didn't necessarily have the same experience initially. They felt a little intimidated at first for sure. Induction and a few lessons or even with some rounds experienced members to show them the ropes would have been massively beneficial.

However this year has been the exception for obvious reasons. Even with the best of intentions it would have been hard to organise something like this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think clubs can deffo step in here and not just for new members, nothing worse than teeing off in a booked 4ball and then having a series of 2balls behind you, no way I want to hold anyone up but letting through 3/4 sets of 2balls is plain stupid and slows everything down.
    Point is the club should group them up rather than have haphazard groups delaying things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I was unemployed for a couple of months and played a few midweek opens and sometimes didn't get to play because I had no-one to play with. Usually the timesheet wasn't full, but every line booked was a fourball. Sometimes I stuck my name down on my own but was still solo by the time he morning came around.

What was annoying was that some were just booking the whole line so that they could play in their three ball. It was mean really. Inconsiderate is the nicer way to describe it.

On a Sunday I wouldn't see the same problem because spaces are more scarce.

blue note wrote: »
    I was unemployed for a couple of months and played a few midweek opens and sometimes didn't get to play because I had no-one to play with. Usually the timesheet wasn't full, but every line booked was a fourball. Sometimes I stuck my name down on my own but was still solo by the time he morning came around.

What was annoying was that some were just booking the whole line so that they could play in their three ball. It was mean really. Inconsiderate is the nicer way to describe it.

On a Sunday I wouldn't see the same problem because spaces are more scarce.

Strange setup being able to book 4 lines for a 3 ball. Not a chance could we do that for competitions, if someone doesn't show, they get a call for taking a spot and a warning. Two strikes, banned from all comps for a month. That includes not finishing a round without fair reason, or non return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Hoboo wrote: »
    Strange setup being able to book 4 lines for a 3 ball. Not a chance could we do that for competitions, if someone doesn't show, they get a call for taking a spot and a warning. Two strikes, banned from all comps for a month. That includes not finishing a round without fair reason, or non return.
    You can do it for opens because you can add guests. In club competitions, it's not possible to do that. Or if you could, it would certainly raise questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Exactly what prawnsambo said. People sticking down one name and three public. In fairness there are always loads of fourballs out. But plenty of three as well.

Advertisement