Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying car from NI or UK

Options
  • 30-08-2020 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Looking at buying for first time from NI or UK, Audi A4 1.4 TFSI Sport (s/s) 4d. Cost here average around 21K-22K, In UK with half the miles can get for 12K, VTR 4K plus exchange rate brings total to around 17,500K,

North looks about 15% dearer that UK.

Can get same car in NI as here in Dublin but 2 years newer for same price

Anyone experience of doin this and what advice would you have. Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

UK probably better selection to view but more expense bringing back with flight over and ferry back to factor in so difference might level out to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are paying for the convenience of the North having an invisible land boarder with the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

bazz26 wrote: »
    You are paying for the convenience of the North having an invisible land boarder with the South.
    Good way to look at it, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

bazz26 wrote:

I don't think that's much of a selling point.. Would you not make it over to the UK and back easily in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

Its a long day going to the UK, around 24 hours in total

• Advertisement

I don't think that's much of a selling point.. Would you not make it over to the UK and back easily in a day

Depends where you live, Dublin to Belfast is just over 2 hours, Limerick to Belfast is another 2 hours on top of that. Flights over to UK, drive to ferry, drive home from ferry is a full day's travelling. I've done it, it's certainly a long day and that was only to Preston.

bazz26 wrote:
    Depends where you live, Dublin to Belfast is just over 2 hours, Limerick to Belfast is another 2 hours on top of that. Flights over to UK, drive to ferry, drive home from ferry is a full day's travelling. I've done it and that was only to Preston.

Apparently Belfast is the port to go to.. I've heard something about this before but what is the reason, don't have to declare something?

I've no idea, never heard anything special about Belfast port. I flew Shannon to Manchester that morning, then train to Preston, bought the car then drove to Hollyhead and ferry to Dublin then onto Limerick. Got home just after midnight. Got some kip on the ferry but still pretty tired when I got home. That was 3 years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

User1998 wrote: »
    Its a long day going to the UK, around 24 hours in total
    Have been going to UK for cars 20 years now..always been worth my while..better specs,more options,cleaner yokes. Pre Covid I would get early morning flight to Manchester from Dublin, go to BCA auction, usually sorted by 2 or 3 o'clock, drive 3 hours to to Wales, get evening ferry from Holyhead and be home in the West around 1.
    If Auctions are not your cup of tea, Manchester has loads of dealers to pick from and getting around is easy on the tram system with a 3 hour journey to Holyhead making it a handy spot to focus on.
    Research well before traveling and be prepared with insurance cover ...aim for 1 owner, warranted mileage and do your checks with online car check sites as this can eliminate any dodgy cars. IMPORTANT. Always, always make sure you get full Log Book [V5] before buying...you cannot pay VRT without V5 and getting replacement can be a right pain.
    goo:)d luck..if I can be of any further help. please ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

No port is better than the other.

I recently flew to Scotland, got picked up at the airport, done the deal quickly and re scheduled my ferry home for one that was 3 hours earlier, had a lovely drive down the Scottish coast to Cairnryan Port and got the ferry to Belfast, then drove to Dublin in about an hour and a half. From my alarm going off in the morning to getting home at the end of the day it was about 11 hours. It was grand.

Time before that I flew to Birmingham, had to get a train to the garage, the car wouldn’t start and they blew the battery trying to jump start it, car needed a new battery and they booked me into a local hotel while they sorted it out. Missed my ferry. When the car was sorted and I was ready to go my sat nav said 4 hours, after driving 30 minutes to the motorway I encountered road works and had to take a diversion that added 30 minutes. Average speed checks most of the way because of the road works. Then I hit city centre traffic coming out of Dublin Port, took 24 hours in total that time.

You just have to weigh up what you want more convenience or cost saving

• Advertisement

se25 wrote:
    Have been going to UK for cars 20 years now..always been worth my while..better specs,more options,cleaner yokes. Pre Covid I would get early morning flight to Manchester from Dublin, go to BCA auction, usually sorted by 2 or 3 o'clock, drive 3 hours to to Wales, get evening ferry from Holyhead and be home in the West around 1. If Auctions are not your cup of tea, Manchester has loads of dealers to pick from and getting around is easy on the tram system with a 3 hour journey to Holyhead making it a handy spot to focus on. Research well before traveling and be prepared with insurance cover ...aim for 1 owner, warranted mileage and do your checks with online car check sites as this can eliminate any dodgy cars. IMPORTANT. Always, always make sure you get full Log Book [V5] before buying...you cannot pay VRT without V5 and getting replacement can be a right pain. goo:)d luck..if I can be of any further help. please ask.

se25 wrote:
    Have been going to UK for cars 20 years now..always been worth my while..better specs,more options,cleaner yokes. Pre Covid I would get early morning flight to Manchester from Dublin, go to BCA auction, usually sorted by 2 or 3 o'clock, drive 3 hours to to Wales, get evening ferry from Holyhead and be home in the West around 1. If Auctions are not your cup of tea, Manchester has loads of dealers to pick from and getting around is easy on the tram system with a 3 hour journey to Holyhead making it a handy spot to focus on. Research well before traveling and be prepared with insurance cover ...aim for 1 owner, warranted mileage and do your checks with online car check sites as this can eliminate any dodgy cars. IMPORTANT. Always, always make sure you get full Log Book [V5] before buying...you cannot pay VRT without V5 and getting replacement can be a right pain. goo:)d luck..if I can be of any further help. please ask.

se25 wrote:

se25 wrote:

Going to have to be a fool here and ask what do you do for insurance and have you ever availed of this temporary insurance that I believe can be got?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Is there not a NOX charge as well?

Drive away insurance in the UK is usually loaded with pre-conditions that IMO make it hardly worthwhile.
    My experience with insuring UK cars immediately on purchase in England is generally positive.
    Have all details to hand, VIN [ chassis number ]number reference will tell insurer all they need to know..usually your old policy can be updated to accommodate new motor..always best to ring before travelling to ensure you have everything in order ...pay nothing to dealer until you are confident that all paperwork is in order,including the all important V5,LOG BOOK. Good luck..

NOX charges do add to the price of the older diesel [ Max 600 euro ]but overall has little effect on newish petrol / hybrids ect..

The Log Book [V5] will detail the NOX emmisions of any car you are interested in, and any decent dealer will be able to forward you the details,or a pic of the V5, so you can use the Revenue VRT site to calculate all your costs when importing to ROI.

Even with VRT, NOX, flights,ferries,phone bills,hotels, savings can be made if you are prepared to do a little research, and travel over.With Brexit looming maybe the window of opportunity is closing..:rolleyes:

Would a UK drive away insurance policy even cover a non UK resident? I thought it does.

Does that rule still apply where if you own it for 6 months in the UK it becomes VRT excempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bazz26 wrote: »
    Would a UK drive away insurance policy even cover a non UK resident? I thought it does.

Not any of the ones I’ve ever seen. Even when living in the U.K., I could not fit the criteria for some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Lads is there still value to be got up the North? There seems to be but I’m afraid I’m missing something with the VRT. Pardon my naivety, but is it just VRT and NOX charges added on when buying up north? I know I read something about VAT and import charges but only if the car wasn’t registered before 31/12/2020.

I’ve spotted some nice A4 and A6 for very reasonable money and taking the VRT and NOX into it I still reckon I’d be saving €4,000+ compared to what’s on offer in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

As long as the seller has the proof that they bought and brought the car into the country before 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

As long as the seller has the proof that they bought and brought the car into the country before 2021.

Any car I’ve looked at is from a dealer, so I’d presume they’re all above board but obviously I’d be double checking absolutely everything is in order if I do go to buy.

Any advice on the VRT and NOX and how to calculate it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Revenue.ie has a VRT calculator. If you Google the Nox for the car you're after you should get the g/km to input into the calculator.

It's it's a petrol or modern diesel (euro6) then nox will be €600 max.

There are numerous threads on here already around importing from the UK, VRT and Nox charges.

Recently I was in the market for a 13-15 A4/320D estate and didn't think there was much savings to be had. Ended up going private.

Advertisement