Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing 2020 - Where?

Options
  • 29-08-2020 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

Regarding to the NIPT tests. Is the cost covered fully/partially by heath insurers?
    If not, where would you recommend to do it plus cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It wasn't covered by the vhi but we claimed part of the cost under the maternity cover part of the policy and the Revenue system. We paid €450 approx in Holles Street. I got a high risk result and needed amniocentesis which wasn't charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Irish life health treat it as pathology so check your plan.
    I got 50%. I got the panorama test done in the Rotunda for €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

Very sorry to hear that. Did you get the Panorama or the most comprehensive Vistara NIPT? Do you remember the location of the one in Holles St?

NIPT treated as a pathology?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

Millem wrote: »
    Irish life health treat it as pathology so check your plan.
    I got 50%. I got the panorama test done in the Rotunda for €450.

That's great to know. I'm getting the harmony test this week and I couldn't see anything in my plan that sounded like a match so I didn't think it was covered at all.

• Advertisement

Kaldo wrote: »
    NIPT treated as a pathology?

If you are with Irish life health you claim the harmony/panorama test under pathology on your health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Very sorry to hear that. Did you get the Panorama or the most comprehensive Vistara NIPT? Do you remember the location of the one in Holles St?

We got the harmony test in the Merrion Clinic. Amniocentesis was done in the main hospital in the public clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you are with Irish life health you claim the harmony/panorama test under pathology on your health insurance.

Hi Millem, im trying to send you a PM but it's saying your inbox is full :) I just have a query re claiming with Irish Life, that you might be able to help me with.

andreac wrote: »
    Hi Millem, im trying to send you a PM but it's saying your inbox is full :) I just have a query re claiming with Irish Life, that you might be able to help me with.

I claimed it recently as pathology test, if that helps. I got 50% back.

ucsie wrote: »
    I claimed it recently as pathology test, if that helps. I got 50% back.

Im trying to do it like that but they keep saying it's declined. Do you mind me asking where you had the test? Was it the Coombe? The guy i spoke to said it could be that the invoice has prenatal screening on it and not necessarily Pathology, so i might need to see can they change the invoice to state Blood test/Pathology. Thanks

• Advertisement

Irish Health is the only health insurance where you can claim it as Pathology Test.

Irish Health is the only health insurance where you can claim it as Pathology Test.

yeah im trying to do that but they keep declining it saying its Pre/post natal medical expenses. But it could be the way it's worded on the invoice/statement.

Im trying to do it like that but they keep saying it's declined. Do you mind me asking where you had the test? Was it the Coombe? The guy i spoke to said it could be that the invoice has prenatal screening on it and not necessarily Pathology, so i might need to see can they change the invoice to state Blood test/Pathology. Thanks

I got it done in Merrion Fetal Health. I just checked the invoice and it says "Harmony prenatal test". It shows under my claims as "Pathology: Cost of test". Maybe it's the "screening" in your invoice that sounds very general, worth checking if they can issue a new invoice with a more specific description.

I got it done in Merrion Fetal Health. I just checked the invoice and it says "Harmony prenatal test". It shows under my claims as "Pathology: Cost of test". Maybe it's the "screening" in your invoice that sounds very general, worth checking if they can issue a new invoice with a more specific description.

Yeah im going to see will the hospital change the details for me. I also have the paperwork for the actual test itself which i think states Harmony so i might put that through as well. It's 200euro which i should be refunded so i don't want to let it go.

Yeah, definitely try, it's not exactly cheap to let it go!

Yeah, definitely try, it's not exactly cheap to let it go!

No, definitely not!!

Gosh sorry will delete some! Ring them and tell them. I got €225 back. I had words with them 2 weeks ago over my son’s tennis club membership and car seat receipt. They did pay out after I rang them and they said resubmit.

Yeah im going to see will the hospital change the details for me. I also have the paperwork for the actual test itself which i think states Harmony so i might put that through as well. It's 200euro which i should be refunded so i don't want to let it go.

I will send you my receipt. It is typed saying NIPT then in brackets I got her to write in pen (scan and blood test).

In fairness to Irish life health they were the ones who told me to claim for it! I thought it was under foetal screening which vhi cover!! The morning of my appointment I rang them and they said yes it’s covered, submit under pathology.

Also when insurance was up for renewal I made sure to add maternity personal package to my husband’s plan. I then ordered the meals from
    Gourmet fuel....you get a €95 voucher! Plus keep car/crèche receipts for day before, day of and day after birth....you can claim up to €30/€50 depending on your plan. There is no waiting period for maternity personalised packages!!
    I am with vhi now so got the above under my husband’s plan!
    Also you get to download gentle birth app. I found it good when I laboured at home but irritating when I was in absolute torture! But in fairness not having my husband there really upset me so maybe it is good in normal circumstances!!

Thanks Millem. Very helpful.

They just replied asking to clarify was it the Harmony Test (NIPT) and also proof of payment. I have submitted a statement to say it was paid, but i don't have any visa receipt, so i don't know if they need that, as i don't have one. Surely the statement from the hospital to show it was paid is enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks Millem. Very helpful.

They just replied asking to clarify was it the Harmony Test (NIPT) and also proof of payment. I have submitted a statement to say it was paid, but i don't have any visa receipt, so i don't know if they need that, as i don't have one. Surely the statement from the hospital to show it was paid is enough??

They won’t need the visa receipt

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    They won’t need the visa receipt

Yeah i was thinking they shouldn't need it as the hospital statement shows it was paid with visa/debit.

Yeah i was thinking they shouldn't need it as the hospital statement shows it was paid with visa/debit.

I don’t have a visa receipt as I paid in cash. I can’t figure out how to send you this image so I will upload it here.

Thanks Millem. Im hoping by clarifying that it's the Harmony Test with them and the attached statement that it should be enough now. I feel like ive been going back and forth submitting the same thing over and over and getting nowhere!!

Thanks Millem. Im hoping by clarifying that it's the Harmony Test with them and the attached statement that it should be enough now. I feel like ive been going back and forth submitting the same thing over and over and getting nowhere!!

So worth fighting it!!!

So worth fighting it!!!

Bloody right. Plus it was only through here that i knew you could claim with posts from yourself and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Bloody right. Plus it was only through here that i knew you could claim with posts from yourself and others.

I was the exact same. Didn’t realise it could be claimed under pathology until I saw it here. Mine said harmony test and got 50% back. Was a lovely surprise considering I just though it would be absorbed in the total amount to claim back under consultant costs. I find Irish life hard work to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

I will send you my receipt. It is typed saying NIPT then in brackets I got her to write in pen (scan and blood test).

In fairness to Irish life health they were the ones who told me to claim for it! I thought it was under foetal screening which vhi cover!! The morning of my appointment I rang them and they said yes it’s covered, submit under pathology.

Also when insurance was up for renewal I made sure to add maternity personal package to my husband’s plan. I then ordered the meals from
    Gourmet fuel....you get a €95 voucher! Plus keep car/crèche receipts for day before, day of and day after birth....you can claim up to €30/€50 depending on your plan. There is no waiting period for maternity personalised packages!!
    I am with vhi now so got the above under my husband’s plan!
    Also you get to download gentle birth app. I found it good when I laboured at home but irritating when I was in absolute torture! But in fairness not having my husband there really upset me so maybe it is good in normal circumstances!!

Hi millem, off topic but just wondering what the meals were like from gourmet fuel?

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi millem, off topic but just wondering what the meals were like from gourmet fuel?

Personally I didn’t like them and would not buy them. My husband likes the fact you can see all the nutritional info easily eg every lunch is 500kcals and every dinner is 600kcals. He had the mushroom and chicken creamy pasta. It randomly had loads of beans in it. The sauce was kind of spicy!!!
    I have had the cottage pie which has a tomato based sauce :( The vegetarian noodles are ok but quite hot. The goats cheese salad was the best but had no dressing.

The rest are frozen but I did buy 3 cottage pies. The value of the voucher is €95. I bought mostly dinners and not the 5 snacks, lunches and dinners.

The sum up is they are trying to be fancy but the flavours are just wrong!!!
    Give me the slimming world or weight watchers dinners any day!

Finally got the claim paid for the Harmony Test!! Took about 4 times submitting it and explaining what it was to finally get it. Thanks to all for their help and advice :-)

• Advertisement

Finally got the claim paid for the Harmony Test!! Took about 4 times submitting it and explaining what it was to finally get it. Thanks to all for their help and advice :-)

Good for you! :)

Advertisement