Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny Beer In Can

Options
  • 16-08-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Looking for some help looking for some help in sourcing Kilkenny Beer in the draught (500ml) can ? I have tried everywhere O'Briens/ Molloys etc.
    Was in Kilkenny last week and tried the off-licences there and no success also. A quick google search seems to only show availability in Dan Murphys Bottle shop in Australia :P in 440ml cans.

Any help I would be grateful ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It still shows up in the 'full' stock listing for Supervalu online (before you log in), but if I log in and select my local store (D3) it's not available.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/search/allaisles?q=kilkenny

Last place I saw some was Nolans Clontarf but that was last year... possibly its production was affected by covid-19, Smithwicks cans disappeared from shelves also for a while.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It still shows up in the 'full' stock listing for Supervalu online (before you log in), but if I log in and select my local store (D3) it's not available.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/search/allaisles?q=kilkenny

Last place I saw some was Nolans Clontarf but that was last year... possibly its production was affected by covid-19, Smithwicks cans disappeared from shelves also for a while.

Was thinking that myself my mate works for Diageo and he said there Canning plant in Belfast & Liverpool is running 24/7 maybe there only canning the big brands with no pubs open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I got some in Tesco recently, it is very watery, not as I remembered it. :(

imme wrote: »
    I got some in Tesco recently, it is very watery, not as I remembered it. :(

Thanks IMME tried a few Tesco no success

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

This has been my goto drink since the pubs closed. Used to always get it in supervalu but finding it hard to get hold of the last 4 weeks. Only place i can get it now is dunnes stores. Tesco and super valu always out of stock, but recently dunnes is even hit and miss for stock.

• Advertisement

Saw this stuff on tap abroad in a few Irish bars... not sure which country but definitely unusual to see it on tap when you barely see it at all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Saw this stuff on tap abroad in a few Irish bars... not sure which country but definitely unusual to see it on tap when you barely see it at all here.

Sometimes on taps abroad in the past, what was labelled as Kilkenny is actually Smithwicks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Got an email from carry Out and they said they have had none in stock in February.

My mate that works in Diageo said your only bet would be to get up North as most of the Diageo cans they sell up there are canned in Runcorn for the UK and Export market but they are only 440ml - he told me the canning plant in Belfast only runs 500ml cans and they are for the ROI market and are flat out producing Canned Draught Guinness/Budwiser/Carlsberg/ Smithwicks/Rockshore and funny enough Beamish Draught cans :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heineken Ireland don't have a canning line that I'm aware of so presumably they tendered for that business and its tankered there.

Canned Heineken in Ireland is Dutch product.

L1011 wrote: »
    Heineken Ireland don't have a canning line that I'm aware of so presumably they tendered for that business and its tankered there.

Canned Heineken in Ireland is Dutch product.
    Thats correct Beamish is shipped from Cork to Belfast in Tankers to be canned into the draught widget can same as Guinness is shipped from Dublin . Also I forgot to mention Fosters is canned by Diageo in Belfast but brewed in Cork.

Murphy's is shipped to Tedcaster & Manchester in the UK from cork to be canned and then sent back to ROI not sure why Diageo does not can it for them.

From what I have been told there are only two high volume Canning plants for beer in Ireland Diageo in Belfast and Bulmers in Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

Have you tried Sullivans Irish red? might fill the gap for you.

raxy wrote: »

No haven't given that a bash yet

Was impressed with that when I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Is it widely available.

Kilkenny isn't available at the moment. No word on when it will be either. Diageo and many other brewers have been under fierce pressure since the start of the covid crisis. Many lines were put on hold to focus on the main sellers and keep them on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My mate that works in Diageo said your only bet would be to get up North as most of the Diageo cans they sell up there are canned in Runcorn for the UK and Export market but they are only 440ml - he told me the canning plant in Belfast only runs 500ml cans and they are for the ROI market and are flat out producing Canned Draught Guinness/Budwiser/Carlsberg/ Smithwicks/Rockshore and funny enough Beamish Draught cans :pac:

Interesting to know that draught Guinness is sent in tankers from Dublin to Belfast for canning.

Is this due to lack of space at St. James Gate?

Where does bottling occur?

What about kegging?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Kegging happens in Dublin but Diageo has no small-pack facility in the Republic. Everything is bottled and canned in Runcorn or Belfast. If you buy a bottle of Guinness at the Storehouse the liquid inside, brewed across the street, has already been to the UK and back. Understandably, the issue of customs and the border after Brexit has been a big issue for them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've a bottling line in the Open Gate but it would not have the scale for any of their widely released products and if I remember what I was told right, isn't even used for the Open Gate branded retail products. But it was an offhand comment I could have picked up wrong.

Guinness did have a packaging plant in Dundalk up untill 2001 but moved the operation to The Irish Bonding Company in Belfast which was already a canning & bottling plant for Guinness for cost (Salary) reasons.
    There would no capacity in James Gate to can or bottle as logistics of such an operation would clog up the city maybe with Brexit they might look at bring the packaging south of the boarder but I don't think that would be politically good for Diageo to do so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    They've a bottling line in the Open Gate but it would not have the scale for any of their widely released products and if I remember what I was told right, isn't even used for the Open Gate branded retail products. But it was an offhand comment I could have picked up wrong.
    Production of the Open Gate branded products is completely unconnected with the Open Gate Brewery. I think it's quite dishonest how they're presented.
    maybe with Brexit they might look at bring the packaging south of the boarder
    I've asked one of the suits about this and they have no plans to do this. Seems it would be harder than whatever obstacles Brexit presents.

• Advertisement

I asked our Diageo rep today about Kilkenny and they have no idea when it's going to be back. Its apparently not a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OP, I may well be up the North within the next weekend or two. If I happen to see it then I can grab you some cans of Kilkenny.

OP, I may well be up the North within the next weekend or two. If I happen to see it then I can grab you some cans of Kilkenny.

Thanks Losty :)

Heading up myself tomorrow for work so will let you know if I get them :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I don't think I've seen Kilkenny up here in a while tbh. Could be different down the other side of the province though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen Kilkenny up here in a while tbh. Could be different down the other side of the province though.

Thanks Irish goat - sure ill be heading into ASDA and Tesco ill have a rummage and keep everyone posted

Sorry guys just to come back on this no joy up north in Tesco or ASDA

Been in many SV, Dunnes and Tesco around the country in the last week. Not a sign of a can of Kilkenny.

See a few comments/photos on social media the last few days that Kilkenny is starting to come back into stock. Cant wait:):) Im easly pleased I know:)

Glebee wrote: »
    See a few comments/photos on social media the last few days that Kilkenny is starting to come back into stock. Cant wait:):) Im easly pleased I know:)

Well Glebee any in Dublin anywhere ? Starting to lick my lips :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Well Glebee any in Dublin anywhere ? Starting to lick my lips :D:D:D:D

The lads do be laughing at me when I tell them how nice Kilkenny is. Have not had any in ages..

Advertisement