Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for solar panels installation

• 28-08-2020 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Absolutely zero knowledge on solar panels and looking for advice based on what i was offered, would appreciate the input of others who understand everything related and it would be extremely valuable for me based on how much I’m spending, I don’t intend on making the money back at all so just looking to reduce electricity costs in general.

Offered a quote from NRG panels:
    -8 panels/inverter/slate mount
    -iBoost diverter
    -Free nrg panel online monitoring system

Rrp €9377
    Seai grant €1800
    Marketing incentive discount? €1077

Net cost €6500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Run a mile. I just had an 8 panel system fitted and it cost me 4.5k Gross on slate with an east west split.

The diverter cost is about 400 euro fitted (maybe 500 if they are charging well) but it will never pay for itself. Lots of info on here as to why

so without grant your system should be 5k from the info you gave. I assume there is no battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

For that money, you should be getting 14 panels AND a battery. As well as all the other stuff including wireless monitoring. Check your pm's

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Absolutely zero knowledge on solar panels and looking for advice based on what i was offered, would appreciate the input of others who understand everything related and it would be extremely valuable for me based on how much I’m spending, I don’t intend on making the money back at all so just looking to reduce electricity costs in general.

A little off topic but if you don't intend making money back surely it's a complete waste of money to get them in and additionally a waste of resources in the materials when you could just stay hooked up to an energy supplier who uses renewable energy for a large proportion of power generation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

A little off topic but if you don't intend making money back surely it's a complete waste of money to get them in and additionally a waste of resources in the materials when you could just stay hooked up to an energy supplier who uses renewable energy for a large proportion of power generation?
    Just going by reading on other threads it may take a while to make money back but i’m not too fussed about it if you get me, as long as it reduces the overall electricity costs and saves the planet thats what it matters

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just going by reading on other threads it may take a while to make money back but i’m not too fussed about it if you get me, as long as it reduces the overall electricity costs and saves the planet thats what it matters

Is is not costing the planet if you are making no saving and have used the earths resources to take you to that position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

If you get a small system and are a typical user of electricity your payback should be somewhere in the region of 10-12 years.

That was my calcs on a 2.4Kwp east west post grant install of 2700 euro including BER. I am a lowish user of 2200KWH per year.

Of course given that the banks are giving you almost zero and there is positive inflation. You are still better off getting them if you can spare the cash. They will save you money over time (should be no breakdowns) and will be better than fossil fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pop in here, lots of info.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058055040/24/#post114451773

And the installer that rx8 PM'd you is the same one I used, give him a shout. Highly recommended.

Advertisement