Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster v Leinster 29/08/2020 19.35 Build Up Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Are we going to see another “raft” of injuries if Ulster are coming into this one with very little training time?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Is it fair to ask did one person training give it to another 7 via training or was there a little house party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Is it fair to ask did one person training give it to another 7 via training or was there a little house party?
    I think its very unfair to guess and assume anything. We dont know and shouldnt even try guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster team is out. No Furlong again. Must be a major worry for the semi final now.

1.Byrne
    2.Cronin
    3.Bent
    4.Toner
    5.Molony
    6.Murphy
    7.Connors
    8.Deegan

9.JGP
    10.R Byrne
    11.Kelleher
    12.Frawley
    13.ROL
    14.Keenan
    15.Kearney

Subs:
    Milne
    Clarkson
    Ruddock
    Penny
    Osborne
    H Byrne
    J O'Brien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster team to play Leinster, Guinness PRO14 Round 15, Saturday 29 August at Aviva Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm, live on Premier Sports & eir Sport):

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Rob Lyttle, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter (Capt.), Kieran Treadwell, Matthew Rea, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: John Andrew, Kyle McCall, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Louis Ludik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think Ulster on paper should fancy this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

On paper, Ulster have a really good shot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Strong Ulster side named, particularly the back row. If Ulster are looking to make a statement after last weekend, this could be a very tight game.

Will be very interesting to see how that Leinster back line functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That Ulster team is far stronger than Leinster's. Pure banter from Leo to go the whole league season unbeaten then put out that side for the final regular fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If we show up to play, that's a beatable Leimster team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Clegg wrote: »
    That Ulster team is far stronger than Leinster's. Pure banter from Leo to go the whole league season unbeaten then put out that side for the final regular fixture.

Grrr. I had a fiver on Leinster to go unbeaten for the season :rolleyes:

I'm glad Hume is getting another chance to show what he can actually do, and EOS and TOT have earned their start. Rob Lyttle could and should pass Gilroy this season if he can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

On paper Ulster should win...but then its Leinster in Dublin (even if we are technically the home team), plus we've had a disrupted training week.

Looking forward to seeing Madigan linking up from the start with McCloskey and Stockdale. I thought Madigan did pretty well last week.

I think that's a better back row with Rea at 6 rather than Timoney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Zzippy wrote: »
    Grrr. I had a fiver on Leinster to go unbeaten for the season :rolleyes:

I’m sure Ulster will do their best for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ed Byrne captain, thought in that team one of the second rows would have got that?

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster team is out. No Furlong again. Must be a major worry for the semi final now.

1.Byrne
    2.Cronin
    3.Bent
    4.Toner
    5.Molony
    6.Murphy
    7.Connors
    8.Deegan

9.JGP
    10.R Byrne
    11.Kelleher
    12.Frawley
    13.ROL
    14.Keenan
    15.Kearney

Subs:
    Milne
    Clarkson
    Ruddock
    Penny
    Osborne
    H Byrne
    J O'Brien

On the money

salmocab wrote: »
    Ed Byrne captain, thought in that team one of the second rows would have got that?

Building to the future. Toner in his last couple of years, Molony is starting to be passed out and long term might not remain.

Makes sense to develop a leadership group to support the longer term.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it will be interesting to see what R Kearney can bring to the table here.
    two very green wingers with a seldom used center pairing.
    Robs organisational skills will be tested to the full

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If Ulster can't beat that Leinster team then we may as well pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »

Should we pin this for later use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 nine fine irishmen

Do anyone know how I can watch this game?
    I'm with Virgin for tv and broadband so subscribing to eir sports isn't available to me, the bt/premier sports pass on Now tv specifically excludes Pro 14 for Ireland and I live in Kildare so there are no pubs/restaurants open.
    Any ideas?

This build up thread is awful tame.

Why did awec cross the road?
    Because the IRFU ruined EVERYTHING

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

George will make sure you don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I'm with Virgin for tv and broadband so subscribing to eir sports isn't available to me, the bt/premier sports pass on Now tv specifically excludes Pro 14 for Ireland and I live in Kildare so there are no pubs/restaurants open.
    Any ideas?

Just be patient and watch the deferred coverage on TG4 at 21.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

"Rugbaí Beo", ach níl sé Beo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nine fine irishmen

Guess I'll have to re-create that Likely Lads episode for a couple of hours to avoid the score before they show it on TG4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Any ideas?

I'm thinking of going to an Eir Mobile shop (they have some in Kildare) and taking out a sim-only prepay 30-day contract, for €14.99 per month (no committment beyond one month). The website says that this includes free Eir sport pack on the mobile https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/

If the website is correct, this will give 30 day access to Eir Sport. You will have to stream from your phone to a screen (or just watch it on your phone) and the signal might not be great. Your phone will need to be unlocked, or able to accept an Eir sim.

But its one option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

salmocab wrote: »
    I’m sure Ulster will do their best for you

I'm counting on George Clancy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

Just a shout out to Ed Byrne. I know it’s a nothing game but it must be a great day for him given the turbulent nature of his and his brothers time at Leinster. By all accounts he’s a consummate professional who puts in long hours with little or no pay off in his career to date. He’s the type of player I would have a lot of time for grinding away year in year out with not much recognition in terms of selection. I’ve always thought the two Byrne brothers were better than selection has been to them over the years. No better man to lead out the team than a hard worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

lotmc wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going to an Eir Mobile shop (they have some in Kildare) and taking out a sim-only prepay 30-day contract, for €14.99 per month (no committment beyond one month). The website says that this includes free Eir sport pack on the mobile https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/

If the website is correct, this will give 30 day access to Eir Sport. You will have to stream from your phone to a screen (or just watch it on your phone) and the signal might not be great. Your phone will need to be unlocked, or able to accept an Eir sim.

But its one option.
    I'm on eir sim only and have eir sports but it doesn't let you cast to a screen. At least it didn't up to beginning of year. I've since got virgin media TV so have eir on that and haven't used the app. But previously when I tried to cast the feed would cut out and get a this service is restricted error message

Just a shout out to Ed Byrne. I know it’s a nothing game but it must be a great day for him given the turbulent nature of his and his brothers time at Leinster. By all accounts he’s a consummate professional who puts in long hours with little or no pay off in his career to date. He’s the type of player I would have a lot of time for grinding away year in year out with not much recognition in terms of selection. I’ve always thought the two Byrne brothers were better than selection has been to them over the years. No better man to lead out the team than a hard worker.
    Was their time at Leinster really been turbulent?
    Theyre good pros but has selection really been harsh/unfair towards them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Uriel. wrote: »
    I'm on eir sim only and have eir sports but it doesn't let you cast to a screen. At least it didn't up to beginning of year. I've since got virgin media TV so have eir on that and haven't used the app. But previously when I tried to cast the feed would cut out and get a this service is restricted error message

Have you tried screen mirroring ? I think most android phones have it built in ? Not sure about Apple

Was their time at Leinster really been turbulent?
    Theyre good pros but has selection really been harsh/unfair towards them?

Well, Ed's time has been turbulent purely due to injuries alone. Realistically, he was out for approximately 28 months with back to back massive knee injuries which completely derailed his career. Since then, he has still had the odd niggly injury which has hampered a consistent run.

If he gets 2 years injury free, I'm convinced he'll be capped. I still believe he'll retire with 15-20 Irish caps. He's a very talented prop who just cannot catch a break. With Dooley injured and Healy getting on, he has a great chance in the coming weeks to really stake a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It's a bit like the Ludwig Wittgenstein assertion about dogs. He said it's not that dogs can't think it's just that they don't. It's not that Ulster can't beat Leinster it's just that they don't.

We've probably beaten them as much as Munster in the last few years. We ran them very close in Europe last year and the issue is having a bench with the likes of Dave Shanahan on it. Second season of the Dan McFarland project - let's just let the magic happen.

Also George Clancy.

• Advertisement

Clancy is worth at least 10 points to mexico.

If we win, he'll probably make us replay it on Sunday.

Clancy is an experienced referee at this stage, there's no way he makes a mistake like letting us win.

79th minute penalty cause wee Dave's big toenail is offside.

He'll keep it going for over two hours if he has to.

I think he's perfected the technique at this stage, he just needs to get Leinster to within a few feet of the try line then he can blow it up and attempt to award them the try anyway.

Maybe send someone off for looking at him funny.

Few drinks with Leo and Stu after to celebrate the win.

• Advertisement

Random Clancy fact: the first game he ever refereed ended in a 0-0 draw.

Please tell me that's actually true.

It would 100% explain his feel for the game.

It's true, I didn't make it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Clancy_(rugby_union)

"In October 2000 Clancy refereed his first match, an U15s league match between Richmond and Garryowen which ended in a 0–0 draw"

0-0 in an U15s is quite the achievement.

It is and there can be plenty refs who would have similar experiences.
    it was u15 game 20 years ago
    https://www.irishrugby.ie/2011/09/09/clancy-refereeing-first-game-is-a-huge-honour/

I have a plan. Get Madigan, Murphy and Moore to talk to him. Always in his ear. Confuse him. "But... But... But there are posh D4 accents on both teams... Who, then, is supposed to win?"

It is and there can be plenty refs who would have similar experiences.
    it was u15 game 20 years ago
    https://www.irishrugby.ie/2011/09/09/clancy-refereeing-first-game-is-a-huge-honour/

Get out of here with your "facts".

I want to see the real data that shows other referees have a 0-0 on their coupon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I want to see the real data that shows other referees have a 0-0 on their coupon.

Get a room guys

Clancy is worth at least 10 points to mexico.
    Clancy is an experienced referee at this stage, there's no way he makes a mistake like letting us win.

79th minute penalty cause wee Dave's big toenail is offside.
    I think he's perfected the technique at this stage, he just needs to get Leinster to within a few feet of the try line then he can blow it up and attempt to award them the try anyway.

Maybe send someone off for looking at him funny.

Few drinks with Leo and Stu after to celebrate the win.
    Random Clancy fact: the first game he ever refereed ended in a 0-0 draw.

It's true, I didn't make it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Clancy_(rugby_union)

"In October 2000 Clancy refereed his first match, an U15s league match between Richmond and Garryowen which ended in a 0–0 draw"

0-0 in an U15s is quite the achievement.
    Get out of here with your "facts".

RipeMadIntermediateegret-small.gif

Tried to post an image of Waldorf and Statler there, but it didn't work.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement