Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taylormade p770 irons

• 14-08-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the launch date in Ireland for the irons. In the market for new irons and they look like they tick all the box’s.
    Can I get fitted for them in mcguirks/ halfpenny /fore golf before the launch date??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

I don't know for sure, I'd imagine sept/oct. However I did read somewhere that a guy ordered some mizuno JPX tour 919, and they didn't have the stock to fill the order so sent hom the new 923s (I think that's the number). He was in Australia though.

My point being that chances are if you're getting custom fit, the fitters will have them soon (likes of foregolf, as opposed to the main retailers). Better off ringing Mcguirks/foregolf to ask when they'll have them in

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Those P770's look amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

PARlance wrote: »
    Those P770's look amazing.

I haven’t seen them for real don’t mind hit them and I’m sold.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Various uk sites have them to pre order and at good discounts off 1399 rrp, 5-PW with custom shafts and grips from 950-1000 delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Saw something about September. They look nice irons

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Hit both the P-770 & the P7-MC's today. Found both are excellent.

Most fitting places should have them in now.

Going to wait for the JPX-921 range to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ForeGolf have them, they mailed me about it a week or so ago.

Update- got fitted in McGuirks today and they are class irons. Numbers with them were miles ahead of any other.
    Down side was due to demand and even with a launch date of 04/sept they are already out of stock and won’t be available until mid November which could drift to December...... WTF taylormade!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

meath4sam wrote: »
    Update- got fitted in McGuirks today and they are class irons. Numbers with them were miles ahead of any other.
    Down side was due to demand and even with a launch date of 04/sept they are already out of stock and won’t be available until mid November which could drift to December...... WTF taylormade!!!!

What other irons did you test them against?
    We’re you seeing big gains in distance compared to your current irons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Try Foregolf. They may have a different deal done with Taylormade as all they need are the head components and build them from scratch themselves

etxp wrote: »
    What other irons did you test them against?
    We’re you seeing big gains in distance compared to your current irons?

Average about 10 yards further with a 7 iron but it was a stronger loft than my own.
    But the off centre hits only dropped of by around 5-7 yards which is was great against to my own irons.

Also tried the Titleist t100 and Callaway apex pro I think and didn’t get the consistency I was with the p770

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

meath4sam wrote: »
    Average about 10 yards further with a 7 iron but it was a stronger loft than my own.
    But the off centre hits only dropped of by around 5-7 yards which is was great against to my own irons.

They are stronger so they aren't 10 yards longer. If they keep strengthening the clubs we will be soon playing with 7-PW and 5 more wedges.

They have already nearly made 4 obsolete

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

gypsy79 wrote: »
    They are stronger so they aren't 10 yards longer. If they keep strengthening the clubs we will be soon playing with 7-PW and 5 more wedges.

They have already nearly made 4 obsolete
    They're definitely not stronger than my five year old TM Speedblade irons. My 7 iron is a 30.5 and the P770 is 33. The 4 iron is also a couple of degrees weaker than mine. Granted the Speedblades are a cavity back, so there might be some room there for stronger lofts, but it's certainly not indicative of any kind of shift towards stronger lofts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

My Taylormade Burners are 31 (just checked)

Not sure OP was correct but they are definitely getting stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They're definitely not stronger than my five year old TM Speedblade irons. My 7 iron is a 30.5 and the P770 is 33. The 4 iron is also a couple of degrees weaker than mine. Granted the Speedblades are a cavity back, so there might be some room there for stronger lofts, but it's certainly not indicative of any kind of shift towards stronger lofts.

ah but thats just one set
    hare is how my set of nike vr pro combos from 2014 racks up. i think my set is based more on traditional lofts

actually, i have the specs of my older Taylormade 300 series clubs, so including them also for comparison which does show that the lofts are most definitely getting stronger
    club|TaylorMade 300 Series|Nike VR pro combo|TaylorMade 770
    3 iron|
    |
    4 iron|
    |
    5 iron|
    |
    6 iron|
    |
    7 iron|
    |
    8 iron|
    |
    9 iron|
    |
    pw|
    |

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

There must be a long delay with some of manufacturers. Ordered a set of Taylormade 790's a month ago and it looks like I will be waiting another month. Apparently huge uptake in golf due to covid and manufacturers have ran out of stock. Anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gypsy79 wrote: »
    My Taylormade Burners are 31 (just checked)

Not sure OP was correct but they are definitely getting stronger

My last 3 sets have all been taylormade

Lots for 7 iron were:

TM RAC MB 36*
    TM RAC OS 33*
    TM P790 30.5*

So 6* between strongest and weakest, or over a club difference.

(However I gained pretty much 2 clubs in distance with the 790s, though the RAC OS were regular graphite...)

My current set are pro combos so that what I compared against.
    Interesting the p790s are stronger again so if anything the p770s are slightly weaker than the current trend.

• Advertisement

The 770s are quite traditional, or at least modern traditional. Similar lofts to my 10-15 year old callaway forged and slightly weaker than xforged 18 I’m currently playing. Certainly couldn’t really be described as strong lofted compared to any modern mild improvement clubs.
    Expecting mine in next few days.

Neewollah wrote: »
    Try Foregolf. They may have a different deal done with Taylormade as all they need are the head components and build them from scratch themselves

It’s the heads which are in short supply I think, if it was shafts
    /grips they would just offer alternatives etc. Apparently first lot of orders, heads were built in July, on guesstimates for demand.

My JPX 825 Pro 7 iron loft is 32 degrees, these aren't aimed at the game improvement market though are they? Aimed at better players?

etxp wrote: »
    My JPX 825 Pro 7 iron loft is 32 degrees, these aren't aimed at the game improvement market though are they? Aimed at better players?

I guess, but I meant they have a bit of power help built into them, so lofts need to be different from a blade or something with less help as they would give the wrong flights and descent angles if they were pure traditional lofts. The new Mc and MB are a degree or so weaker each and they have a chart tweaks to blend the gaps if building combo set, which is basically bend one a degree storing and/or the other a degree weak at the join and then half a degree either side.

So a degree weaker than yours and probably only that much less help too. (On decent strikes)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Seve OB wrote: »
    ah but thats just one set
    hare is how my set of nike vr pro combos from 2014 racks up. i think my set is based more on traditional lofts

actually, i have the specs of my older Taylormade 300 series clubs, so including them also for comparison which does show that the lofts are most definitely getting stronger

You had the TM 300 series lofts slightly wrong. Corrected below. I've also added the Speedblades which were produced in 2014, the new SIMs and the TM MBs which would have been the forerunners of the P series.

club|TM 300|Nike VR pro|TM P770|TM Speedblade|TM MB|TM SIM
    3 iron|21|21|19.5|17|21|-
    4 iron|24|24|22.5|20|24|19
    5 iron|27|27|25.5|23|27|21.5
    6 iron|31|31|29|26.5|31|25
    7 iron|35|35|33|30.5|35|28.5
    8 iron|39|39|37|34.5|39|32.5
    9 iron|43|43|41.5|39.5|43|38
    PW|48|47|46|45|47|43.5

Certainly seems to bear out the view that lofts are strengthening, but it tends to be most dramatic in the cavity back market and marginal with blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I'm considering the new P770s.

Currently have the old Taylormade MC's from 2011 which i love but feel like it's time for an upgrade.

However looking at the lofts there doesn't seem to be much if anything between my old MC's and the new 770s.

All this talk is making me want new irons even though I know lessons would probably be more beneficial :(

Advertisement