Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official World Golf Ranking

Options
  • 27-08-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭

I have decided to take slave1 up on his suggestion that discussion regarding the World Rankings should be dealt with separately from the PGA Tour thread.

As it was my post about the number of recent changes in the number 1 ranking that kicked off the somewhat lengthy back and forth that ensued, I thought I might just have a look at what would need to happen for there to be a change at the top of the rankings after this week’s tournament.

Any of the current top five could potentially be number one next Monday, but Colin Morikawa, Rory McIlroy and Justin Thomas would all need a win for this to happen.

If Morikawa wins, he will go to number one provided DJ finishes outside the top 15 and Jon Rahm does not finish in a two way tie for second or better.

if Rory wins, he will go to number one provided DJ finishes outside the top 19 and John Rahm does not finish in a three way tie for second or better.

If Thomas wins, he will go to number one provided DJ does not finish in a three way tie for second or better.

In Rahm’s case, it’s lot more complicated. If he wins, he will go to number one unless DJ finishes second on his own. He can also go to number one if he finishes second on his own or in a two, three or four way tie for second or third on his own. In each of these cases, he would need Thomas not to finish ahead of him and DJ to finish outside the top 6, 12, 25, 58 or 50 respectively.

I know this is of limited interest to most people, but I just decided to have a look at it and, having done so, figured why not post it here? Those with no interest in the subject are free to ignore the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I always feel with the world rankings people misunderstand what they are. Being world number 1 doesn't mean you're the best golfer in the world, it means you're ranked number 1 in the world.

They're needed to sort out qualification for tournaments and the like and they're a bit of fun. But when luke Donald was world number 1, did anyone ever think he was the most likely to win going into any major? You need a system but any system is going to have limitations and throw up anomalies. You could look at the betting odds for tournament favourites to guage World rankings, but they're deeply flawed too. They'll consider potential based on past performance that a player might not be capable of reproducing, favourable courses and of course they'll be priced for the bookies to make money as opposed to who's most likely to win. They aren't exactly the same thing.

And all that being the case, I find looking at the rankings really interesting. I tend to check them every Monday to see what effect the tournaments had on them. It's incredible the effect someone going from something like outright 3rd to tied 9th by finishing the rounds badly has on their world ranking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

The number one watch has just become very interesting! Rahm is well positioned to take over from DJ and make it the 5th change in 7 weeks.

If he wins, he goes back to world number one unless DJ finishes second on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Only 0.08 of a point between them now after last night

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And I see with Morikawa, he has only played 30 events, but his divisor is 40. The next 10 rounds are freebies more or less so he could ascend right to the top with solid weeks

Rikand wrote: »
    And I see with Morikawa, he has only played 30 events, but his divisor is 40. The next 10 rounds are freebies more or less so he could ascend right to the top with solid weeks

It’s not quite that straightforward. There was quite a lengthy discussion on this very issue over the last few pages of the old PGA Tour thread.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    Only 0.08 of a point between them now after last night

Yes, it's very close between them. What last week has done is to put some distance between them and the rest of the players at the top of the rankings.

Depending on where they finish, Rahm needs to earn around 5 to 6 world ranking points more than DJ this week (more if they both finish near the top) in order to overtake him in the rankings.

Advertisement