Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brendan Lawlor

Options
  • 27-08-2020 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

Dundalk golfer Brendan Lawlor making history today as he becomes teh first disability golfer to play on the full European Tour. He has Ellis Van Creveld syndrome which means he was born with shorter limbs than is normal. I think he's less than 5ft.

He is well known around these parts but his star is on the rise nationally and will do even more so after this tournament. Great story and he's started really well with a birdie at the third in this weeks tournament at the Belfry. Currently at -1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pighead wrote: »
    Dundalk golfer Brendan Lawlor making history today as he becomes teh first disability golfer to play on the full European Tour. He has Ellis Van Creveld syndrome which means he was born with shorter limbs than is normal. I think he's less than 5ft.

He is well known around these parts but his star is on the rise nationally and will do even more so after this tournament. Great story and he's started really well with a birdie at the third in this weeks tournament at the Belfry. Currently at -1.

I was trying to remember this morning if he was Irish. Great to see him out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Great to see him playing. I wonder how does he stack up in terms of distance? is he far off the tour average with his disability? He had a lovely swing I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He finished +12 for his round but to me the score wasn't going to matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

etxp wrote: »
    Great to see him playing. I wonder how does he stack up in terms of distance? is he far off the tour average with his disability? He had a lovely swing I think.
    I think about 260 yards would be his limit so a bit behind the Pro's. As Keano says the score didn't really matter this week. The fact that he's out there giving disability golf some great publicity is the story. He's number four in the disability world golf rankings and there is a big push on to really promote disability golf over the next year or so.

There is going to be a full tour for the guys playing disability golf with prize money and sponsorship and the whole shebang so Brendan's appearance in the Belfry can only help that. He was picked up by Modest Golf last year (Niall Horan's crowd) and has already secured a number of high profile sponsorship deals (including Taylor Made).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Wow. That's incredible. When I think of the weak ass excuses I come in with every week and hear there's a guy playing in a euro tour event with an actual disability it really puts it all into perspective.

It's absolutely incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

This man is clearly amazing and would beat the majority of these but I am always really uncomfortable when it comes to disability sports of an sort with the history of cheating (Alain Oliveira controversary, Spanish basketball team etc etc) and the inevitable inequalities as it is impossible for everyone to be suffering equally

But total kudos to this guy. An absolute inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

gypsy79 wrote: »
    This man is clearly amazing and would beat the majority of these but I am always really uncomfortable when it comes to disability sports of an sort with the history of cheating (Alain Oliveira controversary, Spanish basketball team etc etc) and the inevitable inequalities as it is impossible for everyone to be suffering equally

But total kudos to this guy. An absolute inspiration
    Cheating is a feature of a lot of sport even in so called disability sports so with the greater of respect 79 being 1 nil up away and all. Why are you really uncomfortable with disability sports cheating but make no such distinction with able bodied sport. Cheating is cheating surely

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

ballix 1 a piece

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Great stuff. Score doesn’t matter but I’d love to see him shoot slightly better tomorrow for his own confidence going forward. Should help having a round under his belt

Nice too to see him getting some perks with likes of TaylorMade coming on board with clubs etc. Hopefully a bit of cash too with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Delighted for him. He'll battle to the end.
    Worth a listen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJhnfcx2L_k

Very impressive person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Cheating is a feature of a lot of sport even in so called disability sports so with the greater of respect 79 being 1 nil up away and all. Why are you really uncomfortable with disability sports cheating but make no such distinction with able bodied sport. Cheating is cheating surely

You would need go research it. Some of the cheating in disability sport over the years makes Chinese drug cheats look mild. People sleep starving themselves to look more disabled than they are is only the start of the abuse. I have heard of people taking drugs during assessments. Turning up drunk. It is so bad I find it hard to celebrate

This guy is obviously amazing. Sure I cant get a ball off a tee box if it isnt wide open

On top of only small proportion of the population been eligible.

Differences within categories is also massive. I competed in athletics for years with some world stage disability medal winners. Without going miles off track I dont know where the right place for these events is.

Was delighted with the result all be it a loss. They were far better than us. The draw screwed us before we stepped on the field

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

He got Tim Barter interview as he walked from 10th tee. Really positive guy and like every golfer, bemoaning short putts missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

He’s giving a very good account of himself on Sky Sports golf vodcast at the minute.

Advertisement