Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2 - Ardee to Castleblayney [preferred route published; ABP in 2022]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The Public Consultation dates have being announced . Link below from N2 website

https://files.basekit.com/2a/7c/2a7c1e7e-b08a-4eb0-80bd-bbc945c9bbf6.pdf

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Submissions after the public consultation have now closed (25th July). Route options to be published by year end as per above schedule.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Route options to be published this coming week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

marno21 wrote: »
    Yellow please.

For cost (and likely priority based on such) reasons?

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    For cost (and likely priority based on such) reasons?

Yes or yellow/blue

I’m not very familiar with the route but I do know there was heavy upgrades in the last 20 years or so including the Carrickmacross bypass. The main driver behind the upgrade is safety due to head on collisons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yes I think road upgrades going forward are going to have to be online to the greatest extent possible. Obviously things like alignment, geographical features, geology, settlements, etc. could require some or complete offline routing but the amount of environmental screening means going offline should be limited where possible. Building through fields is going to get more difficult and expensive, for both planning and construction, going forward.

That section of the N2 is generally straight with decent gradients and there is actually limited enough properties on the side of the road so online upgrade makes sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Yes I think road upgrades going forward are going to have to be online to the greatest extent possible. Obviously things like alignment, geographical features, geology, settlements, etc. could require some or complete offline routing but the amount of environmental screening means going offline should be limited where possible. Building through fields is going to get more difficult and expensive, for both planning and construction, going forward.

What? It’s quite the opposite. Online widening in Ireland would destroy hedgerows which is a no-no.
    Going through fields is ok as they are monocultures.
    I agree archaeology is a potential issue which wouldn’t be the case for online but you can usually know about the potential for finds in advance.
    The reason online is appropriate for this scheme is that much of the route was upgraded relatively recently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not many hedgerows on the 80s-00s WS2 that most online dualling proposals are for

In a lot of places it'll happen within the existing road surface width if going 2+2 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

L1011 wrote: »
    .....In a lot of places it'll happen within the existing road surface width if going 2+2 anyway!

What is the proposal for this stretch of road?
    2+2, 2+2 with grade separated junctions, or HQDC?
    Assume traffic volumes don't justify Motorway.

• Advertisement

What is the proposal for this stretch of road?
    2+2, 2+2 with grade separated junctions, or HQDC?
    Assume traffic volumes don't justify Motorway.

2+2 is presumed. Volumes don’t warrant motorway. Too early to say regarding junctions also but hopefully grade separated like the N4/N5/N22 schemes started recenrly

spacetweek wrote: »
    What? It’s quite the opposite. Online widening in Ireland would destroy hedgerows which is a no-no.
    Going through fields is ok as they are monocultures.
    I agree archaeology is a potential issue which wouldn’t be the case for online but you can usually know about the potential for finds in advance.
    The reason online is appropriate for this scheme is that much of the route was upgraded relatively recently.

Offline build would also require cutting through a hedgerow every couple of hundred metres so is unlikely to be significantly less damaging than online. With online, the widening can be limited to one side and this can alternate to minimise impact. Online isn't going to interfere with the route of some snail or damage bog cotton or any of the other random things which see road projects appealed and delayed to cancellation. You also don't have to deal with farmers complaining about their lands being divided.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Offline build would also require cutting through a hedgerow every couple of hundred metres so is unlikely to be significantly less damaging than online.

That's a lot less hedgerows than if you widened online. But biggest disadvantage is that the traditional road network in Ireland is very twisting so all you'd end up with is a wide twisty road.

That's a lot less hedgerows than if you widened online. But biggest disadvantage is that the traditional road network in Ireland is very twisting so all you'd end up with is a wide twisty road.

None of the major onlining proposals are for anything other than straight enough WS2, generally built offline to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Most realignments of old twisty roads essentially end up as a whole new road with the old alignment 'retired' or given over to local access.

This stretch of the N2 is already wide and decent quality though so online is a no brainer. In fact I'd hope it's down the priority list quite a bit, it's a road I drive fairly often so I'd love to see it upgraded but there's plenty other N roads that need attention before this stretch

Not much in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is a very high-quality mainline route as it is. The regional roads throughout the region that connect to this route are appalling also. I don't think any of the current or projected AADT figures warrant 2+2 ANYWHERE along this stretch.

The N33 has higher AADT values, why is it not considered for 2+2?

Besides, from Leitrim to Louth there is basically no route that satisfactorily links all these places in between. The N53 is good now, but the section across the border is in an utter heap. West of Castleblayney the route options are hilariously bad with every single road into and out of Ballybay or Shercock being asphalted and widened dirt tracks.

This is completely the wrong solution for the entire region and there are so many smaller and desperately needed schemes to improve journey times and safety.

I would expect this scheme to be one of the first, and frankly, easiest to cancel if there's an expected recalibration of funding for infrastructure. It is totally unnecessary compared to more pressing road schemes and there isn't much popular demand locally for a road of this scale. Compare this as a political issue with the M20, N5, N86 for example. It's not a road that features prominently in local politics or during elections. The section from Monaghan to the border yes, but not Ardee to Castleblaney.

I'm also curious as to why the public consultations and community engagement aren't being done in house. How come some roads projects are managed internally with their respective council when it comes to PR and engagement, or is it a perk that comes with Jacobs during the design stages?

I've raised this personally with someone in Jacobs and tbh they're just told what to do by TII or indeed the relevant roads office.

This scheme gives the impression that there's a design office of qualified and capable people who just don't have anything else to work on and within the confines of the law, can't be redeployed to other parts of Ireland or work on other really necessary schemes.

The department of transport are fine with not rocking the boat, but if politics (and indeed current coalition policy) was a priority, the route from Dundalk go Cavan would be a national secondary route and the outrageous sums on this N2 scheme would be instead used where it's actually needed.

I wonder how many people reading this have actually driven on any of the shambolic regional roads in Monaghan. Probably the only regional road that's not in an utter state is the R188 and maybe the R162, both running north to south. The situation in Cavan is a little better, especially the cootehill to Cavan part, but this scheme is an example of a system that's unable to anything except "think big".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

This is a very high-quality mainline route as it is. The regional roads throughout the region that connect to this route are appalling also. I don't think any of the current or projected AADT figures warrant 2+2 ANYWHERE along this stretch.

The N33 has higher AADT values, why is it not considered for 2+2?

Besides, from Leitrim to Louth there is basically no route that satisfactorily links all these places in between. The N53 is good now, but the section across the border is in an utter heap. West of Castleblayney the route options are hilariously bad with every single road into and out of Ballybay or Shercock being asphalted and widened dirt tracks.

This is completely the wrong solution for the entire region and there are so many smaller and desperately needed schemes to improve journey times and safety.

Just did Monaghan Town to Castlebar following Google Maps real time Directions and I covered single track lanes with green grass in the middle. Enjoyable drive though but would be hateful to be commuting on those roads regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I've raised this personally with someone in Jacobs and tbh they're just told what to do by TII or indeed the relevant roads office.

This scheme gives the impression that there's a design office of qualified and capable people who just don't have anything else to work on and within the confines of the law, can't be redeployed to other parts of Ireland or work on other really necessary schemes.

The department of transport are fine with not rocking the boat, but if politics (and indeed current coalition policy) was a priority, the route from Dundalk go Cavan would be a national secondary route and the outrageous sums on this N2 scheme would be instead used where it's actually needed.

I wonder how many people reading this have actually driven on any of the shambolic regional roads in Monaghan. Probably the only regional road that's not in an utter state is the R188 and maybe the R162, both running north to south. The situation in Cavan is a little better, especially the cootehill to Cavan part, but this scheme is an example of a system that's unable to anything except "think big".

Do you not enjoy the adventure of dodging artic's in the middle of the road between Dundalk and Cavan especially on the shercock road ?

I think there are two main reasons for the Upgrade in that its the Main Dublin Derry road and will link to the
    A5 Derry to Aughnacloy when built. The second is there has being several fatal head on collisions over the years between Ardee and the border. In regards the N33 i think Marno in a post in the past mentioned the N33 would be dualled , I could be wrong but

roadmaster wrote: »
    Do you not enjoy the adventure of dodging artic's in the middle of the road between Dundalk and Cavan especially on the shercock road ?

I think there are two main reasons for the Upgrade in that its the Main Dublin Derry road and will link to the
    A5 Derry to Aughnacloy when built. The second is there has being several fatal head on collisions over the years between Ardee and the border. In regards the N33 i think Marno in a post in the past mentioned the N33 would be dualled , I could be wrong but
    The head on collisions were never linked to any road or design features, unless overtaking counts? And that is a driver behaviour/action.

Since the Carrickmacross bypass had remedial action and removal of overtaking, safety signs etc, has there been a single fatal accident?

Everyone in Co. Monaghan and their dog knows how bad it is to drive anywhere near Shercock or Ballybay, and nothing is being done about what is a regional problem in one of the most disadvantaged parts of Ireland. Spending even more money on an already-great national primary route "because our neighbours will eventually get something even shinier" is just a farce.

I can kinda forgive the clontibret to border scheme as it's currently not perfect and goes through Emyvale but even that is far below the real importance of the east-west link. As for this scheme, even a euro spent on consultations for this is a waste while the dirt tracks between Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth still exist.

The head on collisions were never linked to any road or design features, unless overtaking counts? And that is a driver behaviour/action.

Since the Carrickmacross bypass had remedial action and removal of overtaking, safety signs etc, has there been a single fatal accident?

Everyone in Co. Monaghan and their dog knows how bad it is to drive anywhere near Shercock or Ballybay, and nothing is being done about what is a regional problem in one of the most disadvantaged parts of Ireland. Spending even more money on an already-great national primary route "because our neighbours will eventually get something even shinier" is just a farce.

I can kinda forgive the clontibret to border scheme as it's currently not perfect and goes through Emyvale but even that is far below the real importance of the east-west link. As for this scheme, even a euro spent on consultations for this is a waste while the dirt tracks between Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth still exist.

I'm inclined to agree with you tbh. I see the same with regional roads in Connacht, the infamous Glenisland Road linking Erris to Castlebar, the horrendous regional roads in North Galway etc. This road isn't needed, not the section from Ardee to Blaney anyway. If the choice comes to cancelling part of this project, this section most definitely should get the boot. Monaghan town to the border is needed purely in terms of road safety but we can't afford to be wasting money on the Ardee to Blaney section when it's not justified, needed, demanded nor expected.

Emerging preferred route corridor published:

https://dsgis.jacobs.com/apps/n2monaghanlouth/a2c/A2C-BROCHURE%20AND%20INSERT%20COMBINED.pdf

They are going with the yellow route, which follows the existing N2 along its entirity.

Scheme is planned to be a Type 2 dual carriageway (2+2)

Well the corridor is so narrow that this is nearly an online upgrade. I presume it'll be like the N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin and the new road will be right beside the old one.

Well the corridor is so narrow that this is nearly an online upgrade. I presume it'll be like the N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin and the new road will be right beside the old one.

The map on page 5 of the brochure shows the dotted blue line on the existing road apart from at Cookstown Cross and the indicative junction labelled Drumgeeny/Leeg. That suggests it is an online upgrade which is the logical solution here.

The map on page 5 of the brochure shows the dotted blue line on the existing road apart from at Cookstown Cross and the indicative junction labelled Drumgeeny/Leeg. That suggests it is an online upgrade which is the logical solution here.
    The logical solution is to do nothing beyond similar safety upgrades similar to what the Carrickmacross bypass has now... The east west corridor is completely neglected with no realignment work done on the routes linking the large regional towns in 2 decades. This scheme is unjustifiable with the current traffic loads. Regarding safety, this isn't a situation like the Piltown bypass on the N24 (or the Slane bypass). There's no actual engineering reason given for the higher fatality rate in past years and one has to wonder, if speed is the real cause of these accidents, why would 2+2 help with that?

2+2 removes the risk of head on collisions. And traffic conflicts at junctions with right turns.

This scheme will be cheaper per km than most other 2+2 schemes and will add 31km of dual carriageway to one of the long term “prioritised” long distance routes in the country

There is currently plans to build a dual carriageway from Derry to Clontibret. It makes no sense to have a 31km stretch of single carriageway with the rest dualled and that 31km stretch having a horrendous safety record.

The lack of east west improvements is not relevant. If this N2 scheme doesn’t get built the money remains within TII and will go to one of the other 22 schemes this scheme is competing with for funding

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    2+2 removes the risk of head on collisions. And traffic conflicts at junctions with right turns.

This scheme will be cheaper per km than most other 2+2 schemes and will add 31km of dual carriageway to one of the long term “prioritised” long distance routes in the country

There is currently plans to build a dual carriageway from Derry to Clontibret. It makes no sense to have a 31km stretch of single carriageway with the rest dualled and that 31km stretch having a horrendous safety record.

The lack of east west improvements is not relevant. If this N2 scheme doesn’t get built the money remains within TII and will go to one of the other 22 schemes this scheme is competing with for funding
    So, adding 31km too.... Have more yellow/green lines on a map? There's literally dozens of more important schemes than this. And unlike other schemes like the Slane bypass, there is no factor of road design here involved in the sccidents. Unless being too straight and allowing for speeding is the issue? Where's the road improvement schemes for Inishowen or the N13, with its ridiculously poor safety record? They are all in worse physical condition than the N2.

The accidents along this stretch have drastically reduced after the safety measures implemented a few years ago. The only recent accident involved the older part north of Carrickmacross with a lot of at-grade movements. Something that could be fixed with some roundabouts and reducing overtaking opportunities on the part immediately north of CMX.

The only reason relevancy comes into it is because the border counties have no secondary route of any kind linking them cohesively, unless driving the incredible detour of the N53/N54 is a realistic option for some?

It's also incorrect to say the rest is dualled. The N33, which DOES have the AAHT numbers to back up a dual carriageway, with practically minimal effort, is not in the NDP. As for the rest of the N2, the safety record of parts around Ashbourne is hardly great either and there's not even a route corridor yet for the Kilmoon cross scheme.

Advertisement