Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Francis - 24th/25th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Forecast for 06Z tomorrow morning. A slight northwards nudge for the centre compared to previous forecasts, which had it taking a track further south through the country.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082406_024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Forecast for 06Z tomorrow morning. A slight northwards nudge for the centre compared to previous forecasts, which had it taking a track further south through the country.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082406_024.png

GL how is the rate of percipatation forecast?Radar on shore will be accurate of course.

bazlers wrote: »
    GL how is the rate of percipatation forecast?Radar on shore will be accurate of course.

You mean how is it forecast or what the forecast rate is? Different models see things slightly differently, but Met Éireann's model posted earlier shows areas of 15-20 mm/h moving into the south and later the northwest and west, but this is the instantaneous rate and because it's moving may not reflect how much a certain area on the ground will receive. But Met Éireann's Orange warning speaks of storm totals of 40-60 mm in some places.

Thanks for reply by the way. No i mean how do they predict that one front is more moisture laden than another front. Is it echo soundings or somthing or are they gathering data and coming up with a number by how much convection there might be? Just curious.

Thanks for reply by the way. No i mean how do they predict that one front is more moisture laden than another front. Is it echo soundings or somthing or are they gathering data and coming up with a number by how much convection there might be? Just curious.

It all generated by computer models, taking in current data and using complex physical equations to compute how different parameters will change at regular positions for timesteps into the future.

Everything from surface land stations, ships reports, buoy reports, weather balloons, aircraft measurements and even satellite microwave and infrared measurements are used as starting points for these forecasts. The more reports we have the better the forecast can be, which is why the reduced number of aircraft reports this year has had some effect on the quality of forecasts, though many countries (Ireland included) have been sending up more weather balloons to try to bridge the gap (though hard to do that with a huge ocean to our west).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Matt Hugo posted the attached on twitter regarding rainfall predictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

It all generated by computer models, taking in current data and using complex physical equations to compute how different parameters will change at regular positions for timesteps into the future.

Everything from surface land stations, ships reports, buoy reports, weather balloons, aircraft measurements and even satellite microwave and infrared measurements are used as starting points for these forecasts. The more reports we have the better the forecast can be, which is why the reduced number of aircraft reports this year has had some effect on the quality of forecasts, though many countries (Ireland included) have been sending up more weather balloons to try to bridge the gap (though hard to do that with a huge ocean to our west).

I remember there around 6 years ago I was out bodyboarding on a reef near Spanish Point in Co Clare, the swell was 4ft and supposedly rising gradually.
    With a light offshore breeze and the wave distance was around 14 seconds so a 4ft swell at 14 seconds can be double over head when it breaks over a reef.
    Maybe 11 foot

A well known surfer paddled out and said he checked the bouy report and there was a sudden pitch in the height and it's around an hour and a half before it comes ashore.

We laughed but thought about it,sure enough after a while this guy said here it comes, a set of 5 wave's I paddled over 3 the next two nearly killed me, I was pulverised and left on the shore line bartered and my ego up my arse lol

Now I checked them out online for my own safety :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just looking through the charts on the phone and in general they appear to be a bit less strong in the SW and the strongest winds keeping more along or slightly off the S coast, still a good strong yellow warning mind you. A new feature of this system is a tighter gradient showing now in the afternoon / early evening for the SE and E where it could get very windy for a time. Need to keep an eye on this.

Rainfall totals look increased for the Northern half of the country as was mentioned earlier, where the fronts pivot will see very heavy rainfall, seeing the W and N get very heavy falls and the NE might be very heavy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Ah very good. Bit more complex than long division: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Matt Hugo posted the attached on twitter regarding rainfall predictions.

Scandalous that he omitted the bottom of West Cork which is where bad weather comes to die!

Happily, the Med Eireann tweet showed me everything that I needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Guess what - another storm on the way, another outage for Shannon radar. What a joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Guess what - another storm on the way, another outage for Shannon radar. What a joke....

Thought you were joking but nope. And a rain storm at that. Ffs ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Thought you were joking but nope. And a rain storm at that. Ffs ridiculous

Went down as last weeks storm approached also? What are these guys up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Went down as last weeks storm approached also? What are these guys up to?

Wonder do they do it on purpose for the suspense as we wonder whether it will be up in time for the storm.

Ah very good. Bit more complex than long division: )

Ah no...:pac:

524128.JPG

12Z analysis, showing it at 1000 hPa around 48N 34W. Still not deepening all that quickly, falling only 3 hPa in 6 hours.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082412_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

that's the strangest weather warning Map I've seen from Met Eireann, Co. Clare only given a yellow while north and south is orange

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

typhoony wrote: »
    that's the strangest weather warning Map I've seen from Met Eireann, Co. Clare only given a yellow while north and south is orange

Have to agree with you there are they saying the heavy rain is going to stop when it reaches Clare then get heavy again when it reaches Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there are they saying the heavy rain is going to stop when it reaches Clare then get heavy again when it reaches Connacht

lol...

Just read that they are warning people to stay away from the coasts. Hmmmmmmm

Marine gales also now.

Oh and thunder and lightning

Off to get some sleep before it kicks off; I have been known to sleep through bad storms,

Enjoy and stay safe !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looks to me that the counties that got Orange are the ones with sufficient uplands for a South Westerly weather system to dump lots of rain on the windward side.

Maybe Clare's hills don't qualify as sufficiently large/high to extract too much water from the system.
    But as someone who bog slogged across the top of Moylussa yesterday, I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

You'd wonder about some people.
    I thought my ears and nose were deceiving me but no, a local farmer decided it was a great day to go spreading slurry today and all the warnings for rainfall up this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

typhoony wrote: »

It'll probably be included later. Warnings for now seem to correspond solely with what the model outputs are showing.

New Moon

lolie wrote: »
    I thought my ears and nose were deceiving me but no, a local farmer decided it was a great day to go spreading slurry today and all the warnings for rainfall up this side.
    Sure, wash it into the ground, or nearest watercourse!

With the Harmonie forecast sequence posted earlier the warning map looks accurate enough. Clare does escape most of the heaviest rain, which passes to its south tonight and then to its north tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sure, wash it into the ground, or nearest watercourse!

Exactly - lolie must live near me!

Meanwhile guess who saw fit to issue his own warning map while quoting Met Éireann's warnings?

524146.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

lolie wrote: »

Call the epa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Meanwhile guess who saw fit to issue his own warning map while quoting Met Éireann's warnings?

524146.jpg

His minions are hilarious... he's like a Daniel O'Donnell figure to the clueless Facebook housewives that follow him.

Advertisement