Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Actor of the modern era?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

21 pages later and no mention of Meryl Streep who has to be one the greatest actors ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ha, I deliberately didn't mention any female actresses as I thought we were listing actors, then I just remembered that actresses are now actors too.

When I was growing up actors were male and actresses were female, I guess that's all changed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

641973.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

BailMeOut wrote: »
    21 pages later and no mention of Meryl Streep who has to be one the greatest actors ever.

Possibly because she’s scum. An avid supporter of a confessed and convicted drugger and rapist of a child.

Very likely knew more about Weinstein’s shenanigans than she let on too.

Apart from The Deerhunter and Doubt, I’m struggling to think of any good films she had a prominent role in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

"The Dude" Jeff Bridges :D

76199263c8d1bc961e93c5a0a987b732.png

Lots of great performances.......The Vanishing 1993,Thunderbolt and Lightfoot 1974 are memorable movies for me.

Also love all Liam Neeson Movies

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Possibly because she’s scum. An avid supporter of a confessed and convicted drugger and rapist of a child.

Very likely knew more about Weinstein’s shenanigans than she let on too.

Apart from The Deerhunter and Doubt, I’m struggling to think of any good films she had a prominent role in.

Kramer Vs. Kramer

Rothko wrote: »
    Kramer Vs. Kramer

Yeah, I suppose. 40 odd year old film out of the guts of I would guess 100 she has made.

Hoffman‘s film though in my opinion. Streep won the Oscar for it but I seem to remember she had very little screen time (it may even have been a record for the least screen time for an Oscar winner).

Additionally, when Hoffman fell afoul of the Meetoo movement, it was only then that she decided would be a good time for her to accuse him of physical abuse on the set.

I love Christophe Waltz, and Michael Sheen as mentioned above. Anthony Hopkins is always compelling, even in a bad role. Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor, but I find it hard to put him in the same bracket as Daniel Day Lewis as some do. DeNiro is making terrible choices the last few years, and then phoning them in. I suppose it keeps him off the streets. Honorable mention to the late Robin Williams whom I watched in One Hour Photo for the first time recently, he was fantastic in it and it's a shame he didn't do more straight roles.

Ann Dowd, the actress behind the most terrifying character on tv ever (Aunt Lydia, THT) is fantastic, and Margo Martindale is an exceptional character actress. Charlize Theron sometimes picks awful roles and sometimes her beauty overshadows her talent, but she is a phenomenal actress. Helen Mirren is always good.

It's hard to pick one above all that talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Re Meryl Streep:

Sophie's Choice, The Iron Lady, Silkwood, Ironweed, Postcards From The Edge, Florence Foster Jenkins, Angels In America (she's unbelievable in the TV adaptation, August Osage County, The Hours, Cry In The Dark, Out of Africa.

It's true she had very little screen time in Kramer vs. Kramer. I think she's brilliant - still behaved dreadfully for sure though.

Like Polanski however, I can't help still liking her work.

I know that Streep is objectively a great character actress, but I've never warmed to her or been able to forget that it's Meryl Streep on the screen.

The exception was Big Little Lies where she plays Kidmans characters MIL, she managed to make herself mousy and small and massively aggressive at the same time. Impressive stuff.

• Advertisement

Re Meryl Streep:

Sophie's Choice, The Iron Lady, Silkwood, Ironweed, Postcards From The Edge, Florence Foster Jenkins, Angels In America (she's unbelievable in the TV adaptation, August Osage County, The Hours, Cry In The Dark, Out of Africa.

It's true she had very little screen time in Kramer vs. Kramer. I think she's brilliant - still behaved dreadfully for sure though.

Yep, Sophie’s Choice (the rest....Meh) is a good film and yep, she’s a vile human being.

Enormously overrated too in my view. She’s no Theron, Blanchett, Weaver, Julianne Moore, Johansson etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

me at work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Tommy Wiseau...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Joel Tobeck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I'm like that Spacey. And Mel Gibson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yep, Sophie’s Choice (the rest....Meh) is a good film and yep, she’s a vile human being.

Vile because she applauded Polanski 20 years ago?

What about Harrison Ford, Johnny Depp, Adrien Brody, Pierce Brosnan, Ewan McGregor, Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley, Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz, John C. Reilly et al who have all worked with him since?

The Nal wrote: »
    Vile because she applauded Polanski 20 years ago?

What about Harrison Ford, Johnny Depp, Adrien Brody, Pierce Brosnan, Ewan McGregor, Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley, Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz, John C. Reilly et al who have all worked with him since?

Well done. Hollywood is a hypocritical cesspool. Or are you suggesting she get a pass because she wasn't alone in supporting him? I was responding to a post that specifically mentioned Meryl Streep.

The vast majority of those that you have named haven't really positioned themselves as virtue signalling moral guardians in the same fashion as her since. She very much knew what Polanski did and that he was guilty of same but chose to support him anyway. Not to mention the insinuations that she was more in the know regarding Weinstien's behavior than she let on.

As I said, I also feel she's bizarrely overrated in a big way in any case. I don't find many of her films enjoyable and the critical acclaim always seems a little sycophantic from the luvvies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Willem Dafoe is always great. Especially in The Lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In the last twenty years, I'd have Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was incredible with Joaquin Phoenix in The Master. Capote, Magnolia and A Most Wanted Man also standouts. Also played Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman on stage, which you'd feel he was made for.

Leo DiCaprio gets written-off as a pretty-boy by many, but he has chops. Revolutionary Road was his best performance in my book and a movie I go back to a lot.

BailMeOut wrote: »

Hollywood luvvie. Solid actor, but can't think of a single performance where you'd stand back and say 'wow.' Although her Maggie Thatcher was good, but not mind-blowing.

Female actors wise, I'd rate Frances McDormand and Julianne Moore far above her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tom Hanks for me. Any film I’ve ever seen him in he’s just always excellent regardless of whether the film itself is good. He will always put in a great showing.

Musefan wrote: »
    I think Shia LaBeouf has had some great performances recently. Honey Boy & Peanut Butter Falcon were particularly good.

His John McEnroe in Borg Vs McEnroe was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Has Brendan Gleason been mentioned? I can’t remember a bad performance by the guy and I’ve seen almost everything he has been in. He’s probably my favourite actor though so biased here.

Paddy Considine. Toby Kebbell. Sam Rockwell. Laura Linney. Frances McDormand. Jake Gyllenhaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Probably been mentioned already but Stephen Graham has matured into an exceptional actor, he adds an unparalleled air of reality to most everything he is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Denzel Washington for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ben and Casey Affleck are good actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's actors like Tom Cruise who star in action films, he's not a great actor, he plays the good guy, hero in every film.

A good actor plays a wide range of roles like jeff bridges Jesse eisenberg.
    I think joaquin phoenix is a great actor.
    He has played a wide variety of characters in comedys, action and more realistic type roles.
    He is not always the hero in the films he appears in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Tom Hanks for me. Any film I’ve ever seen him in he’s just always excellent regardless of whether the film itself is good. He will always put in a great showing.

Probably one of the nicest guys of the top Hollywood elite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I'm gonna say it. Colin Farrell.

Advertisement