Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Seiko Mods

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

hi folks,

i just picked up an skx007 and thinking of some mods. Maybe batman bezel insert, saphire and a blue second hand. Confused re crystal.. clear or blue tinted? flat or double domed?

quite like the look of this

Snip

Blue AR and double domed would be my choice but a lot are sticking a Cyclops on which looks better on flat. The blue is quite subtle on the AR's and looks good I think, only get the internal coated version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

saccades wrote: »
    Blue AR and double domed would be my choice but a lot are sticking a Cyclops on which looks better on flat. The blue is quite subtle on the AR's and looks good I think, only get the internal coated version.

Cheers,
    Is there anywhere I could pick up all the parts needed on one go? I'm thinking crystal, bezel insert, chapter ring, dial and hands? Is there much variance in quality depending on where you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

https://www.seikomods.com/shop/

You should find most of the stuff there.

Not cheap though, £45 for a nh36 is 20% over priced. Some of their offerings are on a par with the cost of OEM parts.

DLW is excellent. Yobokies has a massive range (some more big price jumps).

Dagaz has a sale on at the mo.

Not cheap though, £45 for a nh36 is 20% over priced. Some of their offerings are on a par with the cost of OEM parts.

DLW is excellent. Yobokies has a massive range (some more big price jumps).

Dagaz has a sale on at the mo.

The Seiko dial in my picture. Where can I buy that? I can only see sterile ones

• Advertisement

The Seiko dial in my picture. Where can I buy that? I can only see sterile ones

That's a JDM skx007 dial, watchpartsplaza or monster watches can get them. There is also a French crowd good for OEM that I can't remember at the mo.

Otherwise eBay, probably a little hard to get comparatively as that's the one everyone wants on their watch compared to the "k" version (that you have). Modders buy the K because the dial is often the first thing replaced.

That's a JDM skx007 dial, watchpartsplaza or monster watches can get them. There is also a French crowd good for OEM that I can't remember at the mo.

Otherwise eBay, probably a little hard to get comparatively as that's the one everyone wants on their watch compared to the "k" version (that you have). Modders buy the K because the dial is often the first thing replaced.

Turns out that's the dial I have anyway. I need to pay more attention

d05621561b9334b72f3ff0caf78ff728.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Money saved! ;)
    To put towards more mods :P

banie01 wrote: »
    Money saved! ;)
    To put towards more mods :P

Yeah I just ordered a lumed saphire bath insert from US... Next are actual saphire crytsal, change out chapter ring..think I'll go play polished silver and maybe change the bezel itself. Domed, flat, double domed, blue tint, clear it's all to much :)

d05621561b9334b72f3ff0caf78ff728.jpg

Sorry to burst the bubble, that's a "k" dial, note the lack of "21 jewels" and "made in Japan" on the dial, the made in Japan used to make people think that it was a higher quality due to the perceived wisdom on Japanese vs A.N.other country, hence why it's harder to come by. Any one who wants a J, wants it to keep on a stock skx007, otherwise they buy the 5% cheaper k. 99% of people don't care, just the occasional WIS.

• Advertisement

Sorry to burst the bubble, that's a "k" dial, note the lack of "21 jewels" and "made in Japan" on the dial, the made in Japan used to make people think that it was a higher quality due to the perceived wisdom on Japanese vs A.N.other country, hence why it's harder to come by. Any one who wants a J, wants it to keep on a stock skx007, otherwise they buy the 5% cheaper k. 99% of people don't care, just the occasional WIS.

Bubble intact...I just wanted the white markers

Would you change the bezel while at it?

Kewl.

Are you doing the mods yourself?

Just had a delivery...

IMG-20200824-211249193.jpg

Kewl.

Are you doing the mods yourself?

Just had a delivery...

IMG-20200824-211249193.jpg

I was going to get a watch fixer to do them... Anyone here take them on? I ordered a bunch of stuff...

Lumed saphire Batman bezel
    Polished coin edge bezel
    Double.domed saphire crystal blue tint
    Brushed silver chapter ring
    Nh36 movement
    Signed hn36 crown

Mercedes silver hands blue second hand

In no rush probably be a few weeks before all arrives

So my modded watch has developed a problem.

When I first put it together it ran fine. Now though the second hand seems to get stuck on the minute hand. I've checked from side on and the hands pass each other without touching.

Is this a sign that the movement is fecked?

hitemfrank wrote: »
    So my modded watch has developed a problem.

When I first put it together it ran fine. Now though the second hand seems to get stuck on the minute hand. I've checked from side on and the hands pass each other without touching.

Is this a sign that the movement is fecked?

Normally either the hands have become unseated and are touching each other or by the sounds of it, it's touching the crystal stopping the movement (they don't have a lot of torque).

It's the same when it's out of the case too, so it's not touching the crystal.

I might pop off the second hand and reseat it to see if that fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I have a broken movement, does anyone fix them?
    Think I pushed the stem in too hard

TheW1zard wrote: »

they don't seem that expensive to replace?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Slightly off topic, but Nick Hacko has a tutorial on 7s26 movements, group as well.

Edit; He forgot to list a Leatherman wave as an alternative caseback opening tool.

I thought he should have put the hands on mid day before removing them?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

As said, for anything lower than a 6R (nh15 is the cheaper version) just get it replaced.

Pushing the stem will eventually just get the crown to the end stop on the case/stem tube.

As said, for anything lower than a 6R (nh15 is the cheaper version) just get it replaced.

Pushing the stem will eventually just get the crown to the end stop on the case/stem tube.

Any website recommendations for movements? Cheers :-)

Any website recommendations for movements? Cheers :-)

I bought regulated nh36 from seikomods probably overpaid

Pretty quick postage from dlwwatches
    My shipment arrived this morning.

Signed crown
    Double domed blue tint saphire (feels heavy)
    Hands
    Brushed chapter ring
    Coin edge bezel

Left to arrive is lumed saphire bezel insert from US via addresspal. Movement from seikomods

Picked a builder or doing it yourself?

Picked a builder or doing it yourself?

Well I have a watch fixer who services for me but he's away till end of September...know anyone around Dublin that would be handy at it? I probably wouldn't tackle it myself

Well I have a watch fixer who services for me but he's away till end of September...know anyone around Dublin that would be handy at it? I probably wouldn't tackle it myself

My local watch guy wouldn't touch mods, even with all Seiko parts. Have used two guys in the UK but have been taking to a guy with a good rep in Belfast who is doing the next clump.

My local watch guy wouldn't touch mods, even with all Seiko parts. Have used two guys in the UK but have been taking to a guy with a good rep in Belfast who is doing the next clump.

Would you mind passing on his details via pm?

• Advertisement

Would you mind passing on his details via pm?

Me too please!

Advertisement