Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding recruitment

Options
  • 22-08-2020 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,
    So I am wanting to join the garda, but I won't be able to apply until 2023. I have seen on the internet that they are trying to get to 15,000 by 2021 but am wondering will that be the last year they will be recruiting for a few years?
    Thanks all in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

hey :cool: why do you need to wait is it because of the leaving cert ? 15000 is a target figure, there is and will continue to be retirements in the force over the years, once covid settles down I can see a new campaign starting, I can't see a embargo on recruitment , it was promised that front line jobs would not be touched so hopefully it stays the same :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bs123

Thanks for the reply :) You see I am only 15 and going into 5th year so will have to wait till 2023.. so they should be recruiting in that year then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jose1997

Bs123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply :) You see I am only 15 and going into 5th year so will have to wait till 2023.. so they should be recruiting in that year then?
    Ah definitely apply. Thats what I’m going to do once the next campaign is open. I recently finished my a degree in cyber security and digital forensics more to get experience before going but good luck with it :)

Jose1997 wrote: »
    Ah definitely apply. Thats what I’m going to do once the next campaign is open. I recently finished my a degree in cyber security and digital forensics more to get experience before going but good luck with it :)

Can relate, I graduated last year, and currently work in Cybersecurity also. Its awesome, but I fully intend to give it all up and apply the first chance I get, put the dream off for too long already.

good luck with that :)

• Advertisement

Travel and experience life first. Hey a degree maybe.

The chances of getting in straight from school are very remote.

good luck with that :)

You too bud.

I am planning on starting to work in a retail store or a shop or something like that.. and i think i might do an online course aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Travel and experience life first. Hey a degree maybe.

The chances of getting in straight from school are very remote.

True, friends of mine that are guards and my local inspector told me that they do look for people with life experience behind them

AF96DUB wrote: »
    True, friends of mine that are guards and my local inspector told me that they do look for people with life experience behind them

Not too mention most that do come in that young live to regret the lack of travel and life experiences and still need to work until 55 (or is it 60 now?) anyway.

Live life and you can be in by say 24 or 25 and get your 30 done by 55

• Advertisement

I think its definitely a huge benefit to have as much life experience as possible behind you. But its worth noting there is nothing which states an exceptional candidate wouldn't be considered regardless.

Having said all of that, there suggestion you might regret not pursuing other things before starting your career is valid, so thats worth considering too.

Advertisement