Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men's barber prices

• 27-07-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Popped into Fat Tonys for a hair trim in Oranmore. Pre covid the price was €13. Price is now €24!. Nearly 100% price increase!. I hsve bern a customer there for several years, but not anymore. I reckon there are gonna be alot of long haired hippies hanging around Oranmore. Me thinks fat Tony needs to go on a diet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Power of your feet. Don't like it, go elsewhere. Big thread about it in the city forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Walking through the city last Thursday after lunchtime and a lot of these guys places were empty. The barbers hanging outside smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 18 leroy d

Walking through the city last Thursday after lunchtime and a lot of these guys places were empty. The barbers hanging outside smoking
    Hate to see local business struggle, but Mr. Fat Tony needs to get a grip. These are difficult times where our economy is on its knees. Value for money will win out in the end. The rip off effort will fall on its sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭spurshero

leroy d wrote: »
    Popped into Fat Tonys for a hair trim in Oranmore. Pre covid the price was €13. Price is now €24!. Nearly 100% price increase!. I hsve bern a customer there for several years, but not anymore. I reckon there are gonna be alot of long haired hippies hanging around Oranmore. Me thinks fat Tony needs to go on a diet.

I got it could a couple times in oranmore and it was 18 pre Covid . Your going back a while since it was 13 or else you were on a special deal !

spurshero wrote: »
    I got it could a couple times in oranmore and it was 18 pre Covid . Your going back a while since it was 13 or else you were on a special deal !

Definitly €13 pre covid. I had been going there for several years and would always hand over €15 and leave the €2 change as a tip.

• Advertisement

leroy d wrote: »
    Definitly €13 pre covid. I had been going there for several years and would always hand over €15 and leave the €2 change as a tip.

Well that’s worse again if there charging different prices to different customers . Is it still open somebody told me last night it was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

The €24 includes a booking fee which saves queueing for up to an hour surrounded by numerous people. It’s worth paying in a pandemic and probably worth paying in normal times. The price pre Covid was €18 or €19.

kheb wrote: »
    The €24 includes a booking fee which saves queueing for up to an hour surrounded by numerous people. It’s worth paying in a pandemic and probably worth paying in normal times. The price pre Covid was €18 or €19.
    My visit to Fat Tony's in Oranmore was without booking. Straight in the door and no crowds. Pre covid the price of a cut here was definitely €13

Well I paid 18e the last couple times I was in there pre Covid . Another poster is insisting it was 13 e lprobaly was for him I can only speak for meself and me own wallet and it was definitely 18 the last 2 visits .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bump:
    Best one for me is the Best Barber and Hairdresser shop in main street Salthill, run by a barber from the Lebanon, just got a cut on Tuesday at 13 Euro and he shaved my furry eyebrows too. A decent job at an affordable price :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

That's a cheap trick for sure. Pretty piss poor.

A lot of businesses have struggled along during this only surviving due to government supports that the tax payer will have to foot.

Ripping off the tax payer after this is pretty low..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That's a cheap trick for sure. Pretty piss poor.

A lot of businesses have struggled along during this only surviving due to government supports that the tax payer will have to foot.

Ripping off the tax payer after this is pretty low..

Customer - not taxpayer! C’mon!!

So there’s a booking fee now so people know they will have a slot and his time and the slot won’t be entirely wasted they don’t turn up.

Plus they have more compliance overheads to pay for - disposable gowns, disposable towels, more in between cleaning of seats/counters/walls etc all of which costs money along with the masks and customer dividers etc now takes time & will decrease the number of hair cutting slots in the day.

Be fair! from e18 to that when you consider all the new overheads and covid safety
    compliance rules and the price of all those disinfectant sprays and a booking fee to ensure no Q’ing in the rain - its a small & understandable .

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

€5 extra for the convenience of booking and not waiting for up to an hour on a busy Friday evening or Saturday is good value to me but maybe not to others.

Just to agree with what other people have been saying
    Fat Tonys was €18 for a dry cut prior to covid for an adult, and has been for years.

There are different prices for OAPs, students and children, as well as for beard trims. Maybe one of those was €13

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

€5 extra for the convenience of booking and not waiting for up to an hour on a busy Friday evening or Saturday is good value to me but maybe not to others.

Definitely agree.
    Avoiding the painful slow passing of time while you watch every hair being trimmed on the lad ahead of you... €5 is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

New barber in Salthill Top Fade seems very reasonable and actually takes his time doing your hair.

Was in there on Monday and was happy with price and service

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's become pretty clear to me that most mens haircuts aren't that complex, and can be pretty much nailed after a dozen attempts.

Decent scissors and clippers obviously required.

No doubt the more complex ones need more expertise.

I know a lot of people that will continue to get clipped at home and avoid the inevitable price gouging.

The Upper Cut barbers in Knocknacarra (beside Cappagh Stores) is €16 for a regular men's cut appointment (30mins slot).

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    It's become pretty clear to me that most mens haircuts aren't that complex, and can be pretty much nailed after a dozen attempts.

Decent scissors and clippers obviously required.

No doubt the more complex ones need more expertise.

I know a lot of people that will continue to get clipped at home and avoid the inevitable price gouging.

Yup, my wife started cutting mine during the first lockdown and that has continued since. I've also gotten much better at keeping the beard tidy.

All in all, saving me 20 quid every 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Customer - not taxpayer! C’mon!!

So there’s a booking fee now so people know they will have a slot and his time and the slot won’t be entirely wasted they don’t turn up.

Plus they have more compliance overheads to pay for - disposable gowns, disposable towels, more in between cleaning of seats/counters/walls etc all of which costs money along with the masks and customer dividers etc now takes time & will decrease the number of hair cutting slots in the day.

Be fair! from e18 to that when you consider all the new overheads and covid safety
    compliance rules and the price of all those disinfectant sprays and a booking fee to ensure no Q’ing in the rain - its a small & understandable .

Every barber has virtually thr same additional Covid inflicted overheads, their prices haven't sky rocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Fat Tony’s in liosban was going up a euro or two each time I visited them in the year coming up to covid ... I thought they were getting greedy then... now they will use covid to charge even more ... best of luck to them if they find enough fools to pay for it... I went elsewhere and haven’t been anywhere near them since feb 20 or so! My wife actually cut my hair last and she probably did a better job than I got most of the time there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The Upper Cut barbers in Knocknacarra (beside Cappagh Stores) is €16 for a regular men's cut appointment (30mins slot).

I’ve gone there for around the last year. Absolutely great service at a very reasonable price. I’ve never seen a place so clean and you can park right at the door. A1!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

Where’s the cheapest youve seen in the city or county? €20/22 out in oranmore,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Where’s the cheapest youve seen in the city or county? €20/22 out in oranmore,

Upper Cut, Cappagh Road. €16

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Major fader is 15 according to OH who was up last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

16 in terryland barbers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Paid 18e, including the 5e booking fee in Fat Tony's middle Street the other day. Sound.

Have heard that Cut Throat increased their prices again, and they are up to 27e now for the basic cut and the slots are reduced from 30 mins to 20 mins. Not impressed with that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

€27 for a dry/basic cut is seriously taking the piss.
    I know (from family and friends) a few barbers outside the city are charging that. Up from €17 to €20 after first lockdown. Now up 35% again in less than a year.

Advertisement