Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using appliances on night rate meter

Options
  • 18-08-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right thread!

I have an EV car and was thinking of moving to night rate metering so I could charge the car cheaper. I'm just not sure it's worth it though unless I also used some other things like washing machine and dishwasher.

Our current WM and DW don't allow for setting them to timed starts/ends, so wondering is there any other way that would allow for such a feature? Or would I just have to buy machines that have timers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they have mechanical switches you could buy timer plugs and have them set to run when the plugs give them power.

The other option is to run them before you go to bed, after 00:00 during Irish summer time and 23:00 during winter, or if you are an early riser night rates end at 09:00 in summer and 08:00 winter so see if you can run a program in that frame

Buying new machines with delay will eat any savings you make by switching to night rate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Del2005 wrote: »
    If they have mechanical switches you could buy timer plugs and have them set to run when the plugs give them power.

The other option is to run them before you go to bed, after 00:00 during Irish summer time and 23:00 during winter, or if you are an early riser night rates end at 09:00 in summer and 08:00 winter so see if you can run a program in that frame

Buying new machines with delay will eat any savings you make by switching to night rate

No, unfortunately they don't have mechanical switches. The DW has a 30 min timer, but WM is all digital. Agreed, I wouldn't want to have to replace these just yet. I'm an early riser so might try the latter option.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I suspect that ESB networks will not be fitting night meters anymore as the smart metering system will take care of charging less for off-peak consumption i.e. you won't need a separate meter or counter. The cheapest rate (called 'night') will be between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m., the highest rate ('peak) will be early evening, between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. and all other times ('day' - 8-5 and 7-11) will be at the middle rate.

For the washing machine and dishwasher, your next machines will need to come with either a delay timer or a clock where you can program in a start time.

As poster Del2005 says above, if you can set the switches on your machines so they're ready to go (and will go) when they get power, timer plugs might be your solution. But neither of my machines would work with an external timer, there is a 'start' button that has to be pressed in both cases (after power is detected) and no timer can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's worth remembering that the fire officer recommends that you don't run dishwasher, washing machine etc while you are in bed or out of the house. Obviously if on night rate you will do this but thought it worth posting the fire officer's advice all the same

Got a day/night meter installed 4 weeks ago FOC.
    I'd say ESBN are not installing them themselves as KN Networks are looking after them (AFAIK).
    Were doing 40% day 60% night.
    Usually do 17kwh for the car each night and washing machine and dishwasher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Got a day/night meter installed 4 weeks ago FOC.
    I'd say ESBN are not installing them themselves as KN Networks are looking after them (AFAIK).

Yes, when I mentioned ESB Networks, I was including contractors acting on their behalf. KN installed my smart meter last March.

I find it really strange that they're still install the old meters. Does your new meter have the peak/off-peak times set manually i.e. will it require a visit from a technician to change the times? What about weekends?
    Were doing 40% day 60% night.
    Usually do 17kwh for the car each night and washing machine and dishwasher

While smart meters will initially have three tariffs (see my post above), there's nothing to stop the regulator introducing additional tariffs, especially to expand the off-peak rates to the daytime at weekends, when offices, schools and factories are closed. I assume that your meter won't be able to be dynamically adjusted for those changes?

coylemj wrote: »

I find it really strange that they're still install the old meters. Does your new meter have the peak/off-peak times set manually i.e. will it require a visit from a technician to change the times? What about weekends?
    ?

The meter looks nice but its dumb as ****.
    Doesn't even account for day light savings time.
    There is no weekend rate.

Advertisement