Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1: 2020 Round 6 Spanish GP (See Mod note at Post4)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hamilton 'in a daze'. Nice way of saying he wasn't in a race today.

Might have been half asleep like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Vettel has been in for some stick lately but that was a very impressive drive. The team asks him to push then 5 laps later change their minds and ask him to make a 1 stop work. He ends up doing 37 laps on Softs.

Ferrari meanwhile, even with LeClerc out of the race they couldn't make up a race strategy for Seb so just wing it. That team is a clownshow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Tzardine wrote: »
    what a disappointing race. boring from start to finish.
    2011 wrote: »
    Deep down I think we all expected exactly this.

Exactly. I watched the first few laps before entering the world of Playstation Virtual Reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Russell deserves the driver of the day award. Latifi, on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

Boring track, boring race.

Vettel did well in spite of Ferrari, and a good day for Racing Point and McLaren.

Max did well enough too, but whatever tire issues Merc had last week look to be resolved, which doesn’t bode well for the rest of the season-it’s a sad state of affairs when you need a car to have major issues for there to be any sort of interest in watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Fairly boring race with nothing much to report. It won't be a memorable one. F2 is where all the action is.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

At least we now know the Sebotage is real .

I am fairly tolerant of dull races but that drained me . Two week break to SPA may help restore some enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Barcelona 1999 Irvine asked to get a stereo built into his car it was so boring. Mosley was not amused. Nothing changed over the years, no idea why teams want to come back here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Joeface wrote: »
    At least we now know the Sebotage is real .

I am fairly tolerant of dull races but that drained me . Two week break to SPA may help restore some enthusiasm.

Love the term, but in all fairness - I'd say it's pure incompetence. We've been seeing this kind of cr@p from Ferrari's pitwall for two and a half seasons now - strategies so wrong that one initially thinks they've come up with something utterly brilliant, because "a team of such experience can't be so wrong". Only to turn out that yes, they DID get it that wrong.

The "push" and then "go to the end" situation today is worthy of a Darwin award. And now the technical gremlins, of which they seem to suffer at an alarming rate, are also happening to Leclerc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I just watched the highlights...why you ask? I have no clue at all.

Get rid of the Spanish GP at this track, utter crap. This was the ultimate glorified test session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Does he think that anyone really believes him with this "It's a lot closer than people think".

Piss right off, whatever about the boredom of dominance, do not take F1 fans as idiots and think they will believe this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gintonious wrote:
    Does he think that anyone really believes him with this "It's a lot closer than people think".

Maybe he meant far away, not close!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe he meant far away, not close!

I believe Spa and Monza are going to show this up more . Doesn't matter how much wing the other teams remove or the removal of qual modes they are just going to get destroyed . Both are just Power circuits . Might be Racing points best chance for a podium

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I believe Spa and Monza are going to show this up more . Doesn't matter how much wing the other teams remove or the removal of qual modes they are just going to get destroyed . Both are just Power circuits . Might be Racing points best chance for a podium

max showed great maturity yesterday, in regards team thinking during the race, he was the only one who truly realized, there was no point chasing the mercs, incredible driver, cant wait till he gets a proper chance at the title

I am in a very lonely boat when it comes to Max winning a world Title . I just cannot see it .

He cannot do this year , and Next year to me looks less likely .
    The new regs 2022 I think Renault and Ferrari have geared themselves for that and that potential could make it even more difficult . Even been a factory team with Honda , the engine improvements the last 2 years have been massive but they are hoping for mistakes and Tire failures to get anywhere near Mercedes . He is Kinda trapped at Redbull and they have hedged all their bets on him .

I can see him having a cruel Record , Most GP wins with out a World Championship .

Once again I dozed off during the race. Was woken by my husband prodding me saying “you make me watch this boring ****e and you fall asleep!”

Please, please, please tell me it’s gonna be exciting in the races still to come?

Please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Once again I dozed off during the race. Was woken by my husband prodding me saying “you make me watch this boring ****e and you fall asleep!”

Please, please, please tell me it’s gonna be exciting in the races still to come?

I could tell you that but my mother taught me not to tell lies.

In fairness, there probably won't be much action at the front for the rest of the year but the midfield should be competitive. Spain is a particularly terrible track and doesn't facilitate good racing.

Spa is usually good. Monza is a visually pretty track and there can be good racing. But I think we're all expecting the Mercs to be too fast. As much as Hamilton would like to weave a narrative that makes this championship seem like a close struggle, it objectively isn't.

Midfield battles should be better than this weekend. Spain shouldn't be on the calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

HAM VER BOT in more or less that order race after race is incredibly boring. 4 of 6 races this year have been HAM VER BOT in one order or another. The only reason the other 2 weren't HAM VER BOT was Bottas tyre failing at Silverstone and Verstappen electronic problem & Hamilton 5 second penalty at Austria.

Don't expect it to get any better.

you have created a new Work/equation/sentence . Hamverbot equats to a boring race at the front .

It even suits Mercedes that Bottas is third , Team orders take over and a 1st @ 3rd also season gives them a Constructors championship .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    max showed great maturity yesterday, in regards team thinking during the race, he was the only one who truly realized, there was no point chasing the mercs, incredible driver, cant wait till he gets a proper chance at the title

With a frankly world class sub two second pit stop, and a perfect in and out lap, Max only barely made it out in front of the RPs. Bottas two laps later also made it out in front of the RPs.

If Max had been allowed to stop when he was moaning down the phone at his race Engineer he'd have very probably got overtaken by Bottas unless he managed to overtake both RPs without a top speed advantage in two laps.

I love max. I love his confidence. I thank the world he's racing today, so that at least someone is. But he's lucky Red Bull have their heads screwed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

errlloyd wrote: »
    With a frankly world class sub two second pit stop, and a perfect in and out lap, Max only barely made it out in front of the RPs. Bottas two laps later also made it out in front of the RPs.

If Max had been allowed to stop when he was moaning down the phone at his race Engineer he'd have very probably got overtaken by Bottas unless he managed to overtake both RPs without a top speed advantage in two laps.

I love max. I love his confidence. I thank the world he's racing today, so that at least someone is. But he's lucky Red Bull have their heads screwed on.

Yeah you're spot on. Max was going for the win and was cross that he was losing time to Hamilton. Red Bull were going for second place and they were only concerned with the gap to the RPs. At the time max was losing time to Hamilton but he was still gaining a second a lap on the RPs. So he was losing the race but securing second place by waiting and ensuring he would come out ahead of the RPs.

To be fair, Red Bull tried to make him settle for second place last week too and he was completely right to contradict them (I'm not driving like a granny)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

I am in a very lonely boat when it comes to Max winning a world Title . I just cannot see it .

He cannot do this year , and Next year to me looks less likely .
    The new regs 2022 I think Renault and Ferrari have geared themselves for that and that potential could make it even more difficult . Even been a factory team with Honda , the engine improvements the last 2 years have been massive but they are hoping for mistakes and Tire failures to get anywhere near Mercedes . He is Kinda trapped at Redbull and they have hedged all their bets on him .

I can see him having a cruel Record , Most GP wins with out a World Championship .

This is going to sound awful but for F1 to remain in any way interesting we need Max to be in the non-dominant car. If Max were in the Merc this year (and even last) then I think Hamilton would be promptly retiring. Put Max in the dominant car and we could see the F1 equivalent of Marc Marques in MotoGP! That is not to say Max doesn't deserve the right to show how good he is but it won't be good for the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Imola. Portimão. Mugello. These are possible known unknowns that could perk us up a bit.

Imola. Portimão. Mugello. These are possible known unknowns that could perk us up a bit.

Add to that Imola is still a 2 day event instead of three ...that adds some stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

OSI wrote: »
    I'm half expecting him to be the next Alonso, a couple of World Championships with his formative team and then off to one of the "iconic" teams with the hopes of being the next Schumacher building his own dynasty only to become a frustrated runner-up time and time again.

He's very young (Max), he can afford to see which way the wind is blowing in 2022 and make a decision on where he goes based on that. He should have no issue getting a drive in the best car, especially if its not a Mercedes, and Hamilton will certainly be looking to retire around the same time, so we could see a smooth transition from Lewis domination to Max domination, then Max just has to get his career decisions right and he could end up in the same position as Hamilton trying to break all the records that exist as he consistently drives the best car on the grid, whatever that may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

jv2000 wrote: »
    This is going to sound awful but for F1 to remain in any way interesting we need Max to be in the non-dominant car. If Max were in the Merc this year (and even last) then I think Hamilton would be promptly retiring. Put Max in the dominant car and we could see the F1 equivalent of Marc Marques in MotoGP! That is not to say Max doesn't deserve the right to show how good he is but it won't be good for the viewer.

Max right now is like Schumacher in the late 90s. Somehow stealing occasional race wins and singlehandedly dragging an uncompetitive car forward to race against the dominant team of the day. Not a hope of winning the title, but indisputably a much better driver than the one who will.

As soon as he is in the marginal best or equal best car, like Schumacher got in the early 2000s, he'll dominate the sport. If he ever gets an actual dominant car like the Mercedes, it would be utterly unprecedented decimation of the field.

quokula wrote: »
    Max right now is like Schumacher in the late 90s. Somehow stealing occasional race wins and singlehandedly dragging an uncompetitive car forward to race against the dominant team of the day. Not a hope of winning the title, but indisputably a much better driver than the one who will.

As soon as he is in the marginal best or equal best car, like Schumacher got in the early 2000s, he'll dominate the sport. If he ever gets an actual dominant car like the Mercedes, it would be utterly unprecedented decimation of the field.

That's a good point. Who is the better driver pound for pound? If both were in, say, a McLaren, who would win more times than not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

That's a good point. Who is the better driver pound for pound? If both were in, say, a McLaren, who would win more times than not?
    Nobody can know who would actually be faster. But if in theory they were exactly as fast as each other, then I think Schumacher would win more due to his ruthlessness/dirty tricks.

Nobody can know who would actually be faster. But if in theory they were exactly as fast as each other, then I think Schumacher would win more due to his ruthlessness/dirty tricks.

I actually meant between Lewis and Max...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I don't think even that would be that straightforward, look at the two double races we've had so far. Lewis has won one, someone else has won the other. I reckon in equal machinery, it'll probably be 50/50 as to which track will suit which driver. Max dominates Spa, Lewis dominates Silverstone, etc, so the argument would only then turn as to which track is the better test.

Advertisement