Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designer electric radiator

Options
  • 18-08-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of installing an electric radiator ( glycol filled ) in our extension and maybe one in the hall to reduce the use of the solid fuel stove this winter.

At present we have a gas system but was thinking of maybe beginning to install a couple of these , essentially taking out the water radiators and moving away from gas altogether. Down the line then I'd consider a couple of solar panels to generate electricity.

In the meantime has anyone used these electric rads, something about 1000-1200 watt in size and would they cost a bomb to run.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

think you get exactly out what you put in so they cost exactly what your electricity costs.
    look at unit price ie 1KWH that's 1 KW left on for 1 hour. not note those elec rads have thermostats so once room up to temp they might not be on all the time to maintain the temp.
    won't be heating much in winter with solar I wouldn't have thought.
    if you have mains gas everything is more expensive I think but never had it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Electric radiators are the most expensive way to heat a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

garo wrote: »
    Electric radiators are the most expensive way to heat a house.

Agreed. Heating by electricity costs two to three times what heating by gas costs. The only exception to this is with a heat pump which uses electricity to extract heat from the air.

Advertisement