Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vintage Jeep

Options
  • 17-08-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi All how do I go about re registering a 30 year old commercial Jeep to private. Is there very to be paid on a vehicle over 30 years old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

You'd be better off trying to change its use to Vintage if its 30 years old!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

30 year old commercial jeep will require a CVRT every 2 years until 40 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

kadman wrote: »
    30 year old commercial jeep will require a CVRT every 2 years until 40 year old.

No it won’t, mine was switched to vintage at 30 years old and now has an NCT every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Neilw wrote: »
    No it won’t, mine was switched to vintage at 30 years old and now has an NCT every two years.

Had you any hassle at the NCT centre? My father was turned away with a series 3 Land Rover because the tester 'felt' it was commercial. Even though it was M1 category on the tax book.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Had you any hassle at the NCT centre? My father was turned away with a series 3 Land Rover because the tester 'felt' it was commercial. Even though it was M1 category on the tax book.

No issues at all, the testers feelings shouldn’t come into the equation.
    He should have gone with what was on the document and just did his job, I would have complained to NCT if that happened me.

I’ll go one better too, mine was listed as petrol on the nct database, the tester confirmed it was indeed diesel and made the change on their system there and then.
    Your father must have got a jobsworth that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

No issues at all, the testers feelings shouldn’t come into the equation.
    He should have gone with what was on the document and just did his job, I would have complained to NCT if that happened me.

I’ll go one better too, mine was listed as petrol on the nct database, the tester confirmed it was indeed diesel and made the change on their system there and then.
    Your father must have got a jobsworth that day.

Complained and pointed out that it is the Revenue's job to assign the classification, not the tester or anyone in NCTS. And a CVRT centre will refuse to test it as it won't be in their system. The NCT supervisor backed the effing tester!

It was an 81 or 82 so he gave up at that point and sold it to someone who didn't care about the disc since it was so close to being exempt.

Cui bono?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Think they do, but i am open to correction,

ince May 2018:

vintage vehicles first registered before 1 January 1980 which are being used solely for non-commercial purposes do not need roadworthiness testing
    vehicles registered after 1 January 1980 but over 30 years old which are being used solely for non-commercial purposes must undergo compulsory roadworthiness testing every two years instead of annually.

Examples

​Vehicle Registration Date ​​Testing Frequency
    1 December 1979 (i.e. prior to January 1980) ​ ​​Vehicle does not require a roadworthiness test provided that the vehicle is not being used for commercial purposes
    ​1 January 1988 (i.e. after the 1 Jan 1980 but vehicle is over 30 years old) ​Vehicle will be required to undergo compulsory roadworthiness testing every two years instead of annually provided that it is not being used for commercial purposes.
    ​1 January 1989 (i.e. vehicle is not yet 30 years old) ​Vehicle must undergo an annual roadworthiness test. The owner can apply for an exemption from 1 January 2019 when the vehicle becomes 30 years old.
    Vintage vehicle being used for commercial purposes (registered anytime) ​ ​Must undergo a roadworthiness test annually regardless of age.

From January 2020 any vehicle which is over 40 years old will not have to undergo a roadworthiness test provided that it is not being used for commercial purposes.
    What is considered commercial use?
    Commercial use means that your vintage vehicle is being used to transport passengers or goods for hire or reward, for example hiring out your vintage vehicle for weddings or for own account purposes.

How to apply for an exemption
    If your vehicle is over 30 years of age and registered after 1 Jan 1980 then you must sign a declaration of its non-commercial use (pdf) at your CVR testing centre when you are having your vehicle tested. Once you sign this declaration and your vehicle has passed its test, we will send you a CRW which is valid for two years from the date of the test.

Advertisement