Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Priced Winner In History

Options
  • 13-08-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/300-1-winner-at-leopardstown-becomes-biggest-price-scorer-in-history/446446
    He Knows No Fear became the biggest-price winner since records began when scoring at 300-1 for trainer-owner Luke Comer and jockey Chris Hayes in the mile maiden at Leopardstown on Thursday afternoon.

The previous biggest winning SP was 250-1 when Equinoctial scored over jumps at Kelso in 1990.

The victory appeared no fluke either, with the three-year-old colt making rapid late headway to score by a head from the 98-rated Agitare.
    Trained by Luke Comer of all people, I suppose if you throw enough sh1t, some eventually sticks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

A good few longer priced horses winning and placing with the new SP system, that horse would have been 66/1 pre covid. BSP of 1000 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Coral are saying they took 26 bets on the horse totalling 34.50stg.
    The biggest bet was 2.50 ew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A walk-in backed it 100 e/w! 36,000 winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/300-1-winner-at-leopardstown-becomes-biggest-price-scorer-in-history/446446

Trained by Luke Comer of all people, I suppose if you throw enough sh1t, some eventually sticks.

I was looking at some declarations the other day and Comer as usual had a few long price horses going. I wondered to myself if I'd ever seen a L Comer trained winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Good luck to him, he doesn’t need to do it. He’s probably the wealthiest fella involved in the sport in Ireland and he puts plenty of money in and employs plenty of people. Awful trainer though it has to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Two words

Berties Dream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

tryfix wrote: »
    I was looking at some declarations the other day and Comer as usual had a few long price horses going. I wondered to myself if I'd ever seen a L Comer trained winner.

I can remember one moderately successful horse he had in Chimes at Midnight in the early 00s but I can't think of any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

kksaints wrote: »
    I can remember one moderately successful horse he had in Chimes at Midnight in the early 00s but I can't think of any others.

I backed it at some fancy price years ago. Was it the Leger? It placed anyhow. I was delighted with my €2.5 ew

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I backed it at some fancy price years ago. Was it the Leger? It placed anyhow. I was delighted with my €2.5 ew

Yep 3rd in the 2000 St Leger at 40/1. Also won a Curragh Cup and ran in a Champion Hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Two words

Berties Dream

That was longest price winner I ever had. Got him at 66/1 early then at 40/1. Tenner each way both times. Only backed him because I knew two of lads who were part of syndicate and they thought he would get placed.

I wonder did anyone lay the Comer horse on Betfair :)

Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Bonniedog wrote: »
    That was longest price winner I ever had. Got him at 66/1 early then at 40/1. Tenner each way both times. Only backed him because I knew two of lads who were part of syndicate and they thought he would get placed.

I wonder did anyone lay the Comer horse on Betfair :)

Hopefully!

You'd imagine if the books were laying 300 then they were taking that 1000. I suppose the on course lads aren't working so who knows. Certainly you can see Betfair colours on the screen under the hoods on track

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There have been fair few people caught laying 1 to a 1,000 over the years. Usually in soccer and tennis where you can get mad outcomes in space of a very short time. Last night was surely one with PSG? Must have been huge price to win coming close to 90.

One i remember from around 2002/3 was McCoy winning on Puntal after looking like it would be pulled up. It ever was as long as 1000, but definitely remember seeing layers take money at 300/1 and more!

Anyone who does that or backs at such odds deserves whatever they get

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I remember a few people backed Kicking King at 999/1 for the 2006 Gold Cup on BF after it was reported he scoped dirty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

kksaints wrote: »

He did a decent job with that ex-O Brien horse.

I had a look at the racing post stats for Comer. Over the last 5 years he has 1 winner ( the 300/1 shot from yesterday) from 63 runners and 227 runs which gives a +£74 return on a £1 stake on every runner over that period. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Jim Gorman trains them. Pure useless trainer paired with a pure useless and clueless owner.
    Luke wouldnt dare throw money away in business but seems happy to with horses. Buying rubbish broodmares and breeding them to rubbish stallions usually results in rubbish being produced.

He would be better off spending €4-5 Million per year buying 10-15 yearlings and employing somebody who can train rather than having 150-200 donkeys which he currently has. Hard to believe he has that many between racing and breeding stock but apparently he has.

A laughing stock in horse racing circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

Kauto wrote: »
    Jim Gorman trains them. Pure useless trainer paired with a pure useless and clueless owner.
    Luke wouldnt dare throw money away in business but seems happy to with horses. Buying rubbish broodmares and breeding them to rubbish stallions usually results in rubbish being produced.

He would be better off spending €4-5 Million per year buying 10-15 yearlings and employing somebody who can train rather than having 150-200 donkeys which he currently has. Hard to believe he has that many between racing and breeding stock but apparently he has.

A laughing stock in horse racing circles.

funnily I've never heard anyone laughing at him or give a **** what he does with his own money

tryfix wrote: »
    He did a decent job with that ex-O Brien horse.

I had a look at the racing post stats for Comer. Over the last 5 years he has 1 winner ( the 300/1 shot from yesterday) from 63 runners and 227 runs which gives a +£74 return on a £1 stake on every runner over that period. :pac:

Didn't realise that he actually ran some of his horses further afield than the UK. Raa Atoll who struggled in the St Leger on Sunday won a Group 2 in Germany in 2019.

Advertisement