Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel and the UAE normalize relations

Options
  • 13-08-2020 8:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53770859

I said it before and I’ll say it again: Israel is going nowhere. Sooner or later, all countries will come to formally recognize Israel’s right to exist. Maybe then all the Arabs born in refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan will stop pretending to be “Palestinian” and accept the nationality of their birth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

coinop wrote: »

I said it before and I’ll say it again: Israel is going nowhere. Sooner or later, all countries will come to formally recognize Israel’s right to exist. Maybe then all the Arabs born in refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan will stop pretending to be “Palestinian” and accept the nationality of their birth.

How fascist of you to be telling the descendants of Israeli ethnic cleansing what they should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Zebra3 wrote: »
    How fascist of you to be telling the descendants of Israeli ethnic cleansing what they should be.

Your nationality is the country of your birth. Simple. Unless...all those kids in Ireland born to Nigerian parents are not actually Irish after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Your nationality is the country of your birth. Simple. Unless...all those kids in Ireland born to Nigerian parents are not actually Irish after all...

Not quite so simple. I wasn't born in Ireland, but I lived there for almost my entire childhood and adolescence. I have no national identity other than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So David Ben-Gurion was Polish?

Avigdor Lieberman is Moldovan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

When abouts did you say it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I know which country I'd rather live in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to Current Affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Israel and the UAE normalize relations

*normalise*
    Sorry to correct your spelling but I am a bit of a grammar nasi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Odhinn

#

The problem isn't 'Israels right to exist' within its 1967 borders, its its expansionist colonisation of the West Bank, Arab East Jerusalem etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Odhinn wrote: »
    #

The problem isn't 'Israels right to exist' within its 1967 borders, its its expansionist colonisation of the West Bank, Arab East Jerusalem etc.

Along with it's long list of other crimes. Worth reading through these sites for a good overview.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/report-israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/

https://electronicintifada.net/

https://www.ipsc.ie/

https://bdsmovement.net/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

*normalise*
    Sorry to correct your spelling but I am a bit of a grammar nasi.
    The Poster's views stink but their spelling in this case is spot on. The '-ize' form is perfectly correct in British English. Indeed the Oxford English dictionary regards it as the preferred form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They better keep their army well stocked. Israel has no friends. It has people that either need it or use it as a buffer.
    With both their human rights records they're made for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Oman and Bahrain will follow suit. We could be witnessing the start of peace breaking out in the Middle East.

Imagine, a couple of years ago, the media and foreign policy “experts” were telling us that the US recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel would set fire to the Middle East. I suppose these were the same people who advocated for war in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,097 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So all the people who immigrate to Israel are not, in fact, Israeli at all? And Israelis (whether real Israelis or, in your view, pseudo-Israelis) who settle in the West Bank, outside the borders of the State of Israel, will have children who are not Israelis?

Seriously, you should engage your brain before you open your mouth.

Lol you've been banging that same drum for over 20 years now and what have you achieved? Nada. The IPSC struggles to gather more than a handful of crusties at their meetings. Same old faces and getting older. BDS has been a dismal failure and its poster boy in Ireland, self-confessed drug dealer and woman beater Joe Loughnane, has been exposed and crawled back into his cave. Do you ever regret wasting so much of your precious life on this nonsense? You're on the wrong side of history. Every extra day in existence is a victory for Israel, and every day it becomes more accepted and normalised even by its former enemies.

Lol you've been banging that same drum for over 20 years now and what have you achieved? Nada. The IPSC struggles to gather more than a handful of crusties at their meetings. Same old faces and getting older. BDS has been a dismal failure and its poster boy in Ireland, self-confessed drug dealer and woman beater Joe Loughnane, has been exposed and crawled back into his cave. Do you ever regret wasting so much of your precious life on this nonsense? You're on the wrong side of history. Every extra day in existence is a victory for Israel, and every day it becomes more accepted and normalised even by its former enemies.

Israel came into existence because of world (effectively the West) guilt due to the atrocities committed against those with the Jewish religion primarily during the aftermath of WW2, and somewhat due to prior centuries of discrimination.

However, Israels treatment of the Palestinians and their push into further areas for Livingspace is indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The news said last night that this couldn't have come about with Trump.

Will he get any credit in the media, or does it not fit the narrative?

Israel came into existence because of world (effectively the West) guilt due to the atrocities committed against those with the Jewish religion primarily during the aftermath of WW2, and somewhat due to prior centuries of discrimination.

However, Israels treatment of the Palestinians and their push into further areas for Livingspace is indefensible.

I'm not going to waste time trying to educate you and retread old discussions that have occurred a thousand times before on this forum but please teach yourself about the Balfour Declaration back in 1917 before the Shoah.

I'm not going to waste time trying to educate you and retread old discussions that have occurred a thousand times before on this forum but please teach yourself about the Balfour Declaration back in 1917 before the Shoah.

1917 when the British had a large empire, how did that work out for them? But, whats your point - that a country in 1917 considered creating a country in a place with a minority with a Jewish religion in a region controlled by a country that was about to be defeated in Ww1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Modern Zionism began in 1895 with Herzl's publication of Der Judenstaat. The first Zionist congress was held two years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Greta_Funberg

It's great news, and hopefully more countries to join the list.

NIMAN wrote: »

Or, is he in fact due no credit?

Let's be honest; neither Israel nor the UAE is dumb enough to do anything more than very short-term in reliance on Trump. He has a considerably less than 50% chance of still being President in 6 months' time, and he has said himself that if the Democrats win they will undo everything he has "acheived". Even at the best of times he's just not somebody on whose words or deeds anybody with a titter of wit would ever allow themselves to depend.

Whatever motivated the UAE to take this step, it is wildly unlikely to have been anything Trump said or did. It's probably best seen as a logical and expected development in a trend of normalisation or relationships that has been operating slowly but for a long time.

Modern Zionism began in 1895 with Herzl's publication of Der Judenstaat. The first Zionist congress was held two years later.
    This is true. But it's fair to say that modern Zionism might not have acheived what it did, when it did, but for the Holocaust and the European reaction to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

After watching thousands of Palestinians been killed over the years on TV the vast vast majority of people want nothing to do with Israel , Palestinian children living in poverty throwing stones at the Israeli army who stop food getting in get shot dead with infa red top range rifles costing thousands of dollars . There isn’t an ounce of humanity in Israel . Sad it’s allowed happen in our world in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

LuasSimon wrote:
    After watching thousands of Palestinians been killed over the years on TV the vast vast majority of people want nothing to do with Israel , Palestinian children living in poverty throwing stones at the Israeli army who stop food getting in get shot dead with infa red top range rifles costing thousands of dollars . There isn’t an ounce of humanity in Israel . Sad it’s allowed happen in our world in 2020

I know of an Israeli who is an activist for Palestinian rights, so there is hope

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

LuasSimon wrote: »
    There isn’t an ounce of humanity in Israel .

In fact there are plenty of people in Israel who are unhappy with their government's policies towards the Palestinians, but do carry on with the kind of generalisations and group guilt-assignment that helped give rise the the problem in the first place... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

NIMAN wrote: »

Of course not.

Orange man bad. Repeat after me, orange man bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Odhinn wrote: »
    #

In truth it's both.

Most of the Arab world have formally stated they want to see the destruction of the Israeli state. We know that if they had been crushed militarily, any time they had been invaded by their neighbors, that that would have been the likely conclusion.

Arab grievance is motivated by Israeli treatment of Palestinians. But, being honest, we know that it is also motivated by large-scale Jewish immigration to lands that have significant religious and cultural significance to Arabs. From my point of view, all peoples should have a right to their own state. Ensuring the existence of the only Jewish state in the world is important. It is unfortunate that it happened to be in land promised to two different peoples, but there's not much point crying over spilled milk (particularly when much of that milk was spilled by the Third Reich).

Israel essentially has the position of 'in for a penny, in for a pound' and doesn't care about its neighbors' views on what they do with the West Bank. Why should they? Their neigbors don't even believe a Jewish state should exist, and actively pretend that it doesn't.

It is telling that this divide is religious in nature, featuring countries that don't give two shíts about human rights.

Countries_that_reject_Israeli_passports.png

Light green are countries that reject anybody using an Israeli passport.
    Dark green rejects anyone who even has an Israeli stamp on their passport or who has ever obtained an Israeli visa.

Execute the gays one day, complain about the treatment of Palestinians on the grounds of human rights the next? Right.

But thankfully things are beginning to change. The most important changes were Egyptian and Jordan recognition of Israel (though many assassination attempts of the leaders of those countries were a consequence of that). In 2002, the Arab League proposed recognition of Israel by Arab countries as part of the resolution of the Palestine-Israel conflict as part of the Arab Peace Initiative. The lifting of the ban on the Israeli flag and national anthem from events like the International Judo Federation Grand Slam in Abu Dhabi in 2018 (with even Israeli Minister of Culture and Sports Miri Regev being allowed to attend the event) is also the kind of good sign we should be looking for. This naturally has been followed by the full normalization of relations between the two countries.

The Arab states have used Palestinians as a proxy in their ideological war, but once they abandon that war, they may actually be able to start exerting pressure on Israel to back off the West Bank. Just as Jewish people should have a right to their own state, so should Palestinians.

Irishman80 wrote: »
    Oman and Bahrain will follow suit. We could be witnessing the start of peace breaking out in the Middle East.

Imagine, a couple of years ago, the media and foreign policy “experts” were telling us that the US recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel would set fire to the Middle East. I suppose these were the same people who advocated for war in Iraq.

Wiping out the Palestinians and any other dissenting voice would bring a peace. Akin to the peace Hitler would have brought had he succeeded in butchering all dissenting voices.

• Advertisement

Of course not.

Orange man bad. Repeat after me, orange man bad.

Orange man racist.
    Orange man opportunist.
    Orange man corrupt.

I think 'bad' is under selling it.

Advertisement