Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest / remotest postal route in Ireland

Options
  • 02-02-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

What is the longest and most awkward journey a letter or parcel can take within Ireland?

I am guessing it would be something like Mizen head to Tory. Would it make it there the following day I wonder. There was a Top Gear episode where they sent a letter from the Scilly Islands to Unst in Shetland and it got there the following day.

If we had a motoring show in Ireland it would make a great episode

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sorry but this is all I could think of after reading the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Theres a post office on Tóraigh, so starting there to either one of the Inhabited but private Islands, or else Omey, which has tidal access only

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Private" (can't own the foreshore) and summer-only occupancy islands would likely be served by a post bag in the nearest mainland post office - to find an island with post service and no post office bascially requires finding one with a permanent population and where the post office has closed recently enough.

Tory, Arranmore, Clare Island, Inishbofin, all three Aran Islands and Bere Island have functional post offices still.

Sherkin and Cape Clear don't. They're also a decent distance from the nearest mainland one so I'd expect the post route out to them is both long and scenic.

Advertisement