Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Eurosport?

Was watching on BBC, but could be Joe Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Disappointing result for me in that match, would have preferred Williams to win it. A very entertaining evening of snooker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Fantastic win. If Williams was to win that respotted black Ronnie would have been in mental turmoil. He played very well today overall. Think we just have to accept he will miss a few more clangers than he ever used to but if he can play well for the next few days he has a great chance of lifting a 6th World Championship. Up next, his arch nemesis and the glum-faced torturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Eurosport?

Bbc ronnie williams game

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Ronni's spouting more sh1te in the post match interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That safety shot from Williams off the cushion first was the wrong shot for me at that point in the match. High odds it could go wrong and it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ronnie is mad as a box of frogs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Jan Verhaas bottled that completely

If it was a freeball, then give it and don't wait for O'Sullivan to advise you.

If it wasn't a freeball grow a pair and don't let O'Sullivan call the match.

Skid X wrote: »

Yeah I have to agree. He made the first call that it wasn’t a free ball, so stick with it and get on with the match

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Hilarious interview with M Williams. Pretending to vomit after listening to Ronnie. So funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I thought it was a free ball. Ronnie thought it was and was right to question the referee.

A lot of the times a free ball is incredibly close a player will ask for it to be rechecked. Jan did this from a new viewpoint and realised his first impression was incorrect.

This has nothing to do with it being Ronnie. Jan has had no problem in the past standing his ground with Ronnie's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Did he say it wasnt a freeball first, then changed his mind after ronnie quizzed it? Thought thats what I heard anyway. Was obviously impossibly tight but if he did say no first think he should have stuck to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Have to say I can't imagine Verhaas of all people capitulating to anyone. Not unusual for a player to ask for a double check and the decision to be reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,051 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What did Ronnie say in interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

I thought McGill Maflin might have finished too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Was watching on BBC, but could be Joe Johnson
    For an ex world champion he hasn't a f**king clue what shots the players are going for. I swear you couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,385 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

walshb wrote: »
    What did Ronnie say in interview?

His cue action is sh1te and he can't hit any longish shots positional play saving him, told people back Selby to win outright. Wants Robertson's cue action.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

raclle wrote: »
    For an ex world champion he hasn't a f**king clue what shots the players are going for. I swear you couldn't make it up

Joe didn't play much position though, potted them from all angles, some cue action.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,051 ✭✭✭✭walshb

His cue action is sh1te and he can't hit any longish shots positional play saving him, told people back Selby to win outright. Wants Robertson's cue action.

An insufferable pr1ck. Always has been!

But wanted him to beat Williams, and want him to beat Selby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would still have fancied Ronnie to win the match had he lost that last frame after missing the blue. His composure if as as good as I've seen him in a long while. The only thing he's doing wrong is missing easy balls.

Jan Verhaas is/was a legend! Proved again, in that Ronnie v Williams game. Plus no mention of fact Williams would have won the last frame if he did not call foul on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

I thought it was a free ball. Ronnie thought it was and was right to question the referee.

He questioned it correctly originally and asked the referee to check. I thought it was a bit off to question the referees decision when it was obviously so close. You can argue that he was in the right and it was the correct decision but because it made such a material difference and it was so obviously close, it should not have been pushed like that by the player. Williams had just shown the spirit of how the game should be played a shot earlier.

The reaction afterwards of shaking his head like he didn't want it wasn't very convincing either. His sheepish look towards Williams after he cleared the balls was telling.

I'm always been a fan of Ronnie but that whole episode didn't sit well with me.

Another one for Maflin 12-10, was 54-0 behind in that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Sign of the times when a person is slated for changing their mind. Ver Has saw it as a free ball, so did O'Sullivan, and Williams didn't protest therefore I don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sign of the times when a person is slated for changing their mind. Ver Has saw it as a free ball, so did O'Sullivan, and Williams didn't protest therefore I don't see the issue.

If more folks admitted their mistakes, we'd be a much better place throughout society

walshb wrote: »
    An insufferable pr1ck. Always has been!

But wanted him to beat Williams, and want him to beat Selby!

I think Selby will strangle Ronnie mentally. He gets inside his head. Was shouting for Williams. In fairness to Ronnie he destroyed him in the run in.

It's the hesitation I wouldn't like, he looked, said clearly it isn't a free ball, then looked again and said it is.

The referee said it was no free ball, and when questioned changed his mind. That’s what annoyed me. He spent time looking at it from different angles from both ends of the table before making his decision. It wasn’t a quick fire decision, so stand by your original decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

But wasn't that before he placed the red balls? Maybe he should of done that before he made his decision but in the end correct call

Advertisement