Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Workman ship issue

Options
  • 10-08-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello all,

Apologies for Long story,

I would like to know what are my options in my current scenario.

We noticed an issue with roof leak and agreed a price XXXX for all material supply and fitted/fixed with S*A* roofer.
    He gave me 20 years guarantee for the work he carried and assurance of fixed leak. I wasn't convinced the way he told me the where the possible leak can be coming from, as I don't have other options apart from fixing it and had to rely on him to fix the roof leak.

One dry day, he showed up at my place and did his job, Paid him agreed money and he gave me Invoice for Job done and in writing 20 years guarantee for the work he carried out.
    Comes next rainy day, it started leaking again... that blew my mind and after paying 4 figure money it is still back on.. I was so upset and called him to come by and fix leak.

He couldn't show up because of fractured leg, mentioned he will send out his men to fix it. His men came by and did some work again and left.

Comes next rainy day and leak back again. Call my guy and same thing this happened 3 times. This went on in span of 60 days.

I was so fed up at this stage, because of taking leave from work to stay at home when they come by to fix it. Lost my 3 days annual leaves on top of hassle and pain because of repeated leak.

After third time he said to me on phone his men cannot show up because of COVID Lockdown.

I did read some blogs and searched on how to fix leaks for sure checked and finally able to get to confirmed spot where the leak is coming from, I managed to fix it.

This particular roofer is approved by body named "
    N*M Craftsmen is the largest organisation representing skilled and accredited tradesmen and builders.

Its aims are to protect the skills and integrity of its members and clearly define the skilled from the non-skilled thus enabling [tools] the general public to choose a N*M member to facilitate the service they require.

I contacted this N*M body with all the proofs and invoices I have, after few emails back and forth they advised me to seek legal advice as they didn't hear back from the roofer, but that particular S*A* roofer is still member of that body .

With all proofs I have and written Gaurantee of work he carried out, which was not fixed
    How can I proceed further. What are my rights for next course of action against him ?

Should I reach out to consumer court or to Solicitor for further advice

Please guide.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Squatman

send a text to him looking for a full or partial refund, and pending the success of that, send a letter inviting to teh small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Have you verified their business address? That is, that the business is actually conducted from there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Solicitor time. Will leave open for general discussion subject to forum rules on legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kvr1727 wrote: »
    This particular roofer is approved by body named "
    N*M Craftsmen is the largest organisation representing skilled and accredited tradesmen and builders.

Its aims are to protect the skills and integrity of its members and clearly define the skilled from the non-skilled thus enabling [tools] the general public to choose a N*M member to facilitate the service they require.

I contacted this N*M body with all the proofs and invoices I have, after few emails back and forth they advised me to seek legal advice as they didn't hear back from the roofer, but that particular S*A* roofer is still member of that body

Trade bodies will claim to have dispute resolution procedures in place in order to give consumers some notion of reassurance when dealing with their members. In the case of the organisation I think you’re talking about, I wouldn’t set any store by it and wouldn’t waste my time dealing with them.

You say that the guy you dealt with was ‘approved’ by that organisation. That fact alone should tell you all you need to know about their ‘approval’ process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I thought this was going to be about a boat. :)

But that "craftsmanship" organization is simply a trade group and absolutely no warranty or mediation services apply.

Even the infamous ethnic "roofers and driveway" crew are members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 kvr1727

Mav11 wrote: »
    Have you verified their business address? That is, that the business is actually conducted from there?

Yes, they do have Business Address based in Dublin

Squatman wrote: »
    send a text to him looking for a full or partial refund, and pending the success of that, send a letter inviting to teh small claims court

Sent him SMS couple of days back and requested him to update me in 2-3 working days. If not I may need to reach out to small claims court

thank you.

Yes, they do have Business Address based in Dublin

Yes, but have you verified that they are actually there? Like, by driving out to have a look?

Yes, but have you verified that they are actually there? Like, by driving out to have a look?

Not really, I called their landline number and receptionist answered calls before lock down. Haven't checked by driving pass that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not really, I called their landline number and receptionist answered calls before lock down. Haven't checked by driving pass that address.

Take a look at Google Maps and click on the street to see what's there. I wouldn't waste time or fuel driving there.

If this is in Dublin, by any chance does he have northside and southside addresses and two consecutive phone numbers? A lot of the roofing cowboys match that profile. And the addreseses are usually false.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Take a look at Google Maps and click on the street to see what's there. I wouldn't waste time or fuel driving there.

If this is in Dublin, by any chance does he have northside and southside addresses and two consecutive phone numbers? A lot of the roofing cowboys match that profile. And the addreseses are usually false.

and usually, but not always, an 085 mobile!!

and usually, but not always, an 085 mobile!!

it is 087* number.

it is 087* number.

You might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just a heads up for those who may need repairs by tradesmen, I ask for a list of trusted tradesmen from my house insurance company, whether I am making a claim or not. Had a roofer on the list to make repairs to my late mother's house, told him where I got his name from, he did a super job for what I considered to be a very reasonable price. The house was rented and he sent before and after pics, the worked passed the purchaser's survey when the house was eventually sold, didn't claim off the insurance, wasn't worth it with the excess you know yourself. This was in Dublin. But did the due diligence anyway of checking out the CRO for the company and looking on Google maps for the business address. All checked out.

At least you know these tradesmen who are on the insurance companies lists for emergency work are legit. Worked out for me anyway.

Sorry OP I don't know where you go from here if the business was a sham or is no longer trading. Someone else might help with that.

Advertisement