Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ev charger

Options
  • 02-07-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi I'm interested in installing a EV charger.. I'm torn between the EVbox Elvi versus the Wallbox Pulsar/(or pulsar plus if better overall)..
    I just bought a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which has a type one cable. Was thinking of getting tethered at the moment and changing it in the future if we purchase a car with type 2 lead.
    Any opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Type 2 is for all new cars now,

So how long do you think you will stay with the outlander?

Not sure on the cost to change the cable/connector but a type 2 to type 1 adapter could be used on a type 2 tethered charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Valentina516

I can update the cable in the future, that's not an issue, but I may consider getting an adapter..
    I'm looking to find out which of the two chargers is better.. Or if there's any real difference at all..?

graememk wrote: »
    Type 2 is for all new cars now,

So how long do you think you will stay with the outlander?

Not sure on the cost to change the cable/connector but a type 2 to type 1 adapter could be used on a type 2 tethered charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 robod42

Give tsgcharge.ie a call. They installed 50kW Electric Vehicle Chargers on my site and were quite helpful with answering questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

robod42 wrote: »
    Give tsgcharge.ie a call. They installed 50kW Electric Vehicle Chargers on my site and were quite helpful with answering questions.

Bit of a difference between a Wallbox Pulsar Plus and a 50kw DC charger.

OP, what would you.like to know about Pulsar Plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

Felexicon wrote: »
    Bit of a difference between a Wallbox Pulsar Plus and a 50kw DC charger.

OP, what would you.like to know about Pulsar Plus?

I am looking at the Wallbox pulsar plus, have you any experience with this unit.

Thanks

• Advertisement

gary29428 wrote: »
    I am looking at the Wallbox pulsar plus, have you any experience with this unit.

Thanks

Probably too much!

Anything in particular youd like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

gary29428 wrote: »

Thanks

I have one and it's a great little unit, it's small and compact and does exactly what it says on the tin.......I plug in and it charges my car at 7kw.

It has other features that I don't really use or care about much, it load balances which is handy if you have an electric shower or heat pump or solar panels. It is WIFI connected and has a decent app that tracks your costs/consumption and a ton of controls for when it will charge and how fast it will charge.

Most people overthink which charger is right for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

krissovo wrote: »
    I have one and it's a great little unit, it's small and compact and does exactly what it says on the tin.......I plug in and it charges my car at 7kw.

It has other features that I don't really use or care about much, it load balances which is handy if you have an electric shower or heat pump or solar panels. It is WIFI connected and has a decent app that tracks your costs/consumption and a ton of controls for when it will charge and how fast it will charge.

Most people overthink which charger is right for them.

That's all I needed to hear, thanks a mill...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

krissovo wrote: »

It does look like a decent unit alright.
    Does load balancing and load limiting (most dont do this and it can be important) with a decent app.

You mentioned Solar..... but I dont think that it is actually Solar aware... i.e. divert excess Solar to an EV? At least on my reading of it.

If you dont care about Solar integration it looks like a decent option.

What did the unit itself cost (is it what is on their website?)
    Are there any subscriptions to access the app or portal data or is all that free?

KCross wrote: »
    It does look like a decent unit alright.
    Does load balancing and load limiting (most dont do this and it can be important) with a decent app.

You mentioned Solar..... but I dont think that it is actually Solar aware... i.e. divert excess Solar to an EV? At least on my reading of it.

If you dont care about Solar integration it looks like a decent option.

Are there any subscriptions to access the app or portal data or is all that free?

It is not Solar aware

You can buy direct and have your own REC install or there are a couple of partner installers in Ireland that can supply and fit.

No subscription cost for accessing app or online portal unless you go over 5 user accounts at which point you need to upgrade to a business plan. Not something youd need to worry about for home use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

KCross wrote: »

I got mine as a package from easygo including installation so no idea on the unit cost. The app is totally free and has been updated a few times with nice features so good to know that it is in active development.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

The pulsar plus is much cheaper on the UK website ;£539, it also has a 3 year warranty. Any reason not to parcel motel it here?

Advertisement