Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf in Waterford?

Options
  • 10-08-2020 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Whats the best course to play in Waterford? Waterford castle comes up good but maybe a tad to far for me from Waterford, given about 40 mins. Is Faithlegg any good, mixed reviews. Condition etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Tramore is probably best in the county.

3 Dungarvan courses are decent and good value but not top class.

Havent played faithlegg or waterford castle in a while but they were good last i played, Waterford castle for the novelty factor of te ferry and the deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Whats the best course to play in Waterford? Waterford castle comes up good but maybe a tad to far for me from Waterford, given about 40 mins. Is Faithlegg any good, mixed reviews. Condition etc.

Waterford Castle is closer to the city than Faithlegg - they're both close together but the Castle is on an island accessed by a ferry.

Tramore is an excellent course, you've also got Waterford GC to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Mount Juliet is about 25 mins up the road...
    just sayin...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Benny Cake wrote: »
    just sayin...

More like 35 on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Benny Cake wrote: »
    just sayin...

Going there first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Going there first

I would recommend Tramore, think both Faithlegg and Waterford Castle are very overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dk1982

Played both Waterford Castle and Faithlegg recently and both in excellent condition. I'd probably edge for Waterford Castle if i was to pick between the two, really enjoyed it. Lovely setting too with the the novelty factor of the ferry over. But you cant go wrong with Faihlegg either IMO.

I'm not really sure how it could be said that both are overrated. I've never seen either in any of the "Top 100" lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I believe West Waterford is a hidden gem of a course which most haven't heard of.

We were supposed to play it this year with the society, but Covid got in the way of that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

Some have changed from my days living there but Tramore would be the top pick for me. Changed it a bit over the years and added 9 holes but still your best option. Waterford castle was always an easier course if there was no wind. Remember a couple par 5s could be hit with a mid iron second shot if you got away a good drive. On a nice calm day it would be nice and fairly straight forward. Faithlegg was always a decent course. First hole there is fun to start with. Waterford GC would be least favourite of these.

If your willing to travel to Dungarvan you have three courses. Dungarvan has nice features and used to be always very well maintained. West waterford would be a better test of golf. A few very good holes. Haven't played the gold coast. Heard it's good.

Kilkenny golf club as an outsider. It's a good club too. Guessing similar distance to mount juliet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm biased as I'm from tramore, but it's easily the stand out course in the county. I think it's the only one that would make the golf digest top 100, usually just inside the top 50.

The castle is one I've always loved playing though. Getting the ferry over is fun and the course is very playable, but not boring. I've scored well every time I've played it, but always felt I worked for the scores.

Faithlegg is a fine course, the three in dungarvan are very enjoyable too. The views in gold coast are beautiful. And waterford gc is a very nice track too.

But if I was to play one, it would be tramore hands down.

• Advertisement

It looks like its between Faithlegg and Tramore. Will decide nearer the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

It looks like its between Faithlegg and Tramore. Will decide nearer the day.

Waterford castle for me. Tramore very òverrated I'm my opinion. It is good but not top 50 good.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Tramore is the bigges test of golf and also the best kept course in the county. There is a reason it consistently ends up higher in rankings than other courses nearby. The shutdown also helped big time (along with favourable weather). It is in fantastic condition atm and greens are best they have been in years. Played nearly all courses mentioned above this year and Tramore seems to be only one that can handle the weather a bit better. Everywhere seems very soft atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Clonmel and Carrick-on-Suir courses are also both in Co Waterford.
    Carrick-on-Suir has some nice holes. Never played Clonmel but heard it's hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Gold Coast has some very nice features.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

First Up wrote: »
    Gold Coast has some very nice features.

Have to agree here. On a nice summers days its a fantastic course. Front 9 is especially pleasant. 2 back to back par 3's are fantastic. Greens are in good condition at the moment too. When the wind picks up down there it turns into bit of a battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Clonmel and Carrick-on-Suir courses are also both in Co Waterford.
    Carrick-on-Suir has some nice holes. Never played Clonmel but heard it's hilly.

I mean...They might as well be Tipp. Awfully awkward treks from Waterford, in particular Clonmel - I wouldn't be including them in this list. I really don't like Clonmel's course btw - played it a lot from living in Cahir.

Going by the forecast for the south east for the next 3 or 4 days I may avoid the area altogether. Don't want to play Mount Juliet if its soft and boggy.

Advertisement