Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TP-Link Deco M5 Gigabit Whole Home WiFi System - Triple Pack - £102.21 Delivered (£

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Looks like they've gone already.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'll mark it expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I've the taller versions.
    Game changer for home WiFi coverage and removing blackspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

It's still available for me. I just purchased.

bromley52 wrote: »
    It's still available for me. I just purchased.

Back again all right. Unmarked as expired. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I've the taller versions.
    Game changer for home WiFi coverage and removing blackspots.

The M8 units are great, but for anyone with a big stone / period house, get the P9 kit , it uses power line backhaul and is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Is the M4 units better than the M5? Torn between the two.

Is the M4 units better than the M5? Torn between the two.

https://www.androidcentral.com/tp-link-deco-m5-vs-deco-m4

Looks like the m5 wins on the specs side of things. Aesthetics are a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

What type of power cables do these use? EU plug adaptor required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I have the Deco M4 and it's great.
    Handy feature is that you can plug an ethernet cable into the satellite Deco units to give devices Internet connection i.e. If you have a tv that only has an ethernet connection plug it into the deco and it will have an Internet connection

I just ordered the M4 there, a bit of a wait now as its out of stock but happy to get it at £99

I just ordered the M4 there, a bit of a wait now as its out of stock but happy to get it at £99

Well worth it. If you can, while you're waiting for them to arrive, look into running ethernet cables to daisy chain them together. Much better performance.

Although a buddy of mine is running them wirelessly in a regular 3-bed semi and is getting 150-200mbps all around the house on Wifi off a 500MB Siro package.

Well worth it. If you can, while you're waiting for them to arrive, look into running ethernet cables to daisy chain them together. Much better performance.

Although a buddy of mine is running them wirelessly in a regular 3-bed semi and is getting 150-200mbps all around the house on Wifi off a 500MB Siro package.

Yeah I could do, I need to add some more plugs in the house so it is definitely something I could do in tandem.

Use Cat5e or Cat6 cable anyway if so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

What sort of cables or setup would I need if I wanted a proper WiFi set up around the house?

You'll have your main router supplied by your ISP.

Then if you buy the 3-pack DECO M4, you'd:

1. Connect one Deco to your ISP's router. This is then your main deco.
    2. Run a Cat5E or Cat6 cable from here to your next Deco. Maybe to the room right above where your main Deco is. Let's call this Deco #2.
    3. From Deco #2, run another Cat5e/6 cable to your next Deco. Maybe to the back bedroom. If you're upstairs, you might be able to run cables handily by drilling to the outside, jumping into the attic via the facia/soffit and then back out the other side of the house and drill back into another bedroom. Ask an electrician for advice if unsure.
    4. Connect the newly run Cat5E/6 cables to each Deco (#2 and #3).
    5. Setup the Deco's with a new Wifi network using the Deco app. Very easy.
    6. Login to your ISP's router and disable its Wifi (not essential but recommended to prevent interference etc).

There's other configurations you can do with your ISP's router like putting it in bridge mode etc, but the above would be a solid setup. Some ISPs (like Siro / Vodafone) would allow you to connect directly to the Deco as well. I did this. I don't have to use the router Vodafone provided. I can use the main Deco as my router and that's it. A lot cleaner and less cables / modems lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

The M8 units are great, but for anyone with a big stone / period house, get the P9 kit , it uses power line backhaul and is unreal.

Would the M4 suffice for a solid period 3 story or better off paying the extra for the P9?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

How is he getting that?
    I’ve the 3 pack around a 2400sq.ft. 4 bed detached house, and I’m getting between 80 and 90 from a 1gb fibre connection.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    How is he getting that?
    I’ve the 3 pack around a 2400sq.ft. 4 bed detached house, and I’m getting between 80 and 90 from a 1gb fibre connection.

He has a decent enough and open hallway/landing area with little barriers I suppose.

Wired is king when it comes to Wifi anyway!

5500 wrote: »
    Would the M4 suffice for a solid period 3 story or better off paying the extra for the P9?

Can you run a cable from the main one to each floor? If so, the M4 will be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Not each floor as such, ive got cat6 points at the top and bottom where the router is, I could connect these 2 but my main wireless black spot is top and middle floors. Currently with a wifi extender socket I'm only managing 4/6mpbs where there was previously no signal but its patchy even at that, if I could get 80/90 wireless there id have no complaints

5500 wrote: »
    Not each floor as such, ive got cat6 points at the top and bottom where the router is, I could connect these 2 but my main wireless black spot is top and middle floors. Currently with a wifi extender socket I'm only managing 4/6mpbs where there was previously no signal but its patchy even at that, if I could get 80/90 wireless there id have no complaints

Ah. You're sorted so if you buy the M 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Crap...missed this!

People keep us posted if this comes up again please!

I set up an alert on hotukdeals with the word "mesh". Something will turn up.

Mine arrived yesterday. As expected, had EU plugs, but I got some adapters in Dealz.

I've block walls throughout the house, and this seems to be working well. One in the sitting room, one in the home office (other side of wall), and another on other side of house in kids play room. Broadband speed is 250 down in living room, 120 in office, and about 40 in the play room, and the signal has to go through two walls to get there!

I had hoped to have one in the attic, but the signal from there (which I'd hoped would pass through ceilings better than walls) seemed poor.

So far, happy with purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

MarkR wrote: »
    I set up an alert on hotukdeals with the word "mesh". Something will turn up.

Mine arrived yesterday. As expected, had EU plugs, but I got some adapters in Dealz.

I've block walls throughout the house, and this seems to be working well. One in the sitting room, one in the home office (other side of wall), and another on other side of house in kids play room. Broadband speed is 250 down in living room, 120 in office, and about 40 in the play room, and the signal has to go through two walls to get there!

I had hoped to have one in the attic, but the signal from there (which I'd hoped would pass through ceilings better than walls) seemed poor.

So far, happy with purchase.

Do they have 12V DC jacks on the rear of the device or USB-c?
    The early models were USB-c but we'e later downgraded.
    All of the pictures show USB-c as a result.

Do they have 12V DC jacks on the rear of the device or USB-c?
    The early models were USB-c but we'e later downgraded.
    All of the pictures show USB-c as a result.

I was hoping for USB-C, but no. That's only in the V1 model. 12V DC jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Some ISPs (like Siro / Vodafone) would allow you to connect directly to the Deco as well. I did this. I don't have to use the router Vodafone provided. I can use the main Deco as my router and that's it. A lot cleaner and less cables / modems lying around.

Simply plug out ISP router and plug into Main Deco or is there more involved? Thanks

• Advertisement

My M4 kit from Amazon.co.uk has shipped. Was telling me September 4th to 25th when I ordered on Tuesday so I am happy with that.

Advertisement