Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Must-read books on Irish politics

Options
  • 09-08-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I’d like to become more educated on the history of Irish politics, from say the famine to the current day.

What books would you recommend? I’d be happy to read biographies of significant individuals, themed books around major moments like the civil war or the troubles, or more general histories.

I’d like to gain a better understanding of politics today by looking at the past.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm currently reading Tim Pat Coogan's Ireland In The 20th Century. It might be a good starting point by giving a general overview of the time period you're interested in before getting into individual events and people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This probably depends on when your political knowledge started (so, your age mostly) but if its 1990s onwards and you need to start going earlier; two I'd recommend are Lost Revolution, about the OIRA/Workers Party and Down Down Deeper and Down which is a general history but particularly politically focused from 1973-85.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

This Great Little Nation: The A-Z of Irish Scandals & Controversies (1999) - Gene Kerrigan and Pat Brennan

If you can get your hands on this, it's got about 100 stories of the usual dodginess from the previous 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

The Boss is a great read detailing the craziness around the 3 general elections in 18 months in 1981-82

Well worth checking out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

OP, you might find the Politics book thread at the top of the forum useful:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056088794

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Recently read David McCullaghs book on the rise of Dev -
    I had a loan of the makeshift majority - interesting in a time of multi-party government
    Mccullagh is in many ways the new John Bowman..

The Lost Revolution Brian Hanley and Miller is a good book on the officials and left republicanism
    Bowyer Bells book on the iria is excellent
    Tim Pat Coogans also
    Matt Treacy has a good book on the IRA and on the History of the CPI
    Clan na poblachta by McDermott is another good historical book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

tricky D wrote: »
    This Great Little Nation: The A-Z of Irish Scandals & Controversies (1999) - Gene Kerrigan and Pat Brennan

If you can get your hands on this, it's got about 100 stories of the usual dodginess from the previous 50 years.

Couldn't imagine anything by Kerrigan being much good.

Advertisement