Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Are you familiar with buzzards?

No, never seen one before. He's a big bugger anyway.

Thanks for that, interesting that he's around though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Here's one that's puzzled me for a while. It looks like ragwort but the flowers are less dense and the plant is more stemmy than ragwort.
    084210p.jpg
    And the leaves and closer look at the stem.
    3JwyqVD.jpg
    And some nearby ragwort.
    1Nxpp1R.jpg
    And its stem and leaves.
    fpyzFrx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Here's one that's puzzled me for a while. It looks like ragwort but the flowers are less dense and the plant is more stemmy than ragwort.
    084210p.jpg
    3JwyqVD.jpg
    And some nearby ragwort.
    1Nxpp1R.jpg
    And its stem and leaves.
    fpyzFrx.jpg

Marsh ragwort I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

084210p.jpg
    3JwyqVD.jpg
    And some nearby ragwort.
    1Nxpp1R.jpg
    And its stem and leaves.
    fpyzFrx.jpg
    Groundsel. Its a relation of Ragwort - see 3.2 in the link
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4690134/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah agree Phacelia and I call it Marsh Ragwort.
    The Phacelia add a lovely colour to the WBC. Bee friendly flowering plants should have been incl in all mixes by the Glas scheme.
    The Marsh is less toxic than Ragwort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Counted 5 hares together first thing this am

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

sonnybill wrote: »
    Counted 5 hares together first thing this am

Lucky you! Brilliant to hear. We’re seeing a hare most mornings but think it’s the same fellow. Young ones call him Henry Hare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Water John wrote: »
    Yeah agree Phacelia and I call it Marsh Ragwort.
    The Phacelia add a lovely colour to the WBC. Bee friendly flowering plants should have been incl in all mixes by the Glas scheme.
    The Marsh is less toxic than Ragwort.

You could try a bit on its own, sow the seed heavily. Amazing the amount of bees that come on it. When the phacelia goes to seed you can chop it up with a rotovator and it will come up again from the seed it produced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

They're a great looking apple you have. What variety are they?

They're a great looking apple you have. What variety are they?

It's called Discovery. Very reliable and early cropper. Another couple of weeks and they'll be ready. After that it's a battle between myself and the wasps as to who gets the good apples off it. I'd see a lovely big one and around the other side of it a hole with a load of drunk wasps in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Never seen one of these guys before,'Orgyia antiqua' or the rusty tussock moth according to the Google God.

L1EtKu8h.jpg

Butterfly was evicted from polytunnel..

NcdJd wrote: »
    Butterfly was evicted from polytunnel..
    I think the bee is a bombus pratorum worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Lovely. A selection of redtailed bumblebees here :

https://www.bumblebeeconservation.org/red-tailed-bumblebee-species/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A friend of mine did a PhD on red arsed bumble bees, think it was on the burren and Aran islands.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

2-BBDBA6-A-C65-B-47-CD-BA8-E-2-CF7-CF0-B195-C.jpg

4-CA9218-D-C5-CF-46-C5-AD12-2202-BCCB1523.jpg

83-D30-A3-A-D1-F9-4-ADC-AADA-4-DC1217-B1-E10.jpg

B0-D183-F6-51-D9-458-C-BC62-F38-E2-EE256-B5.jpg

1918-B422-DD96-43-EF-852-C-70947-FE1-A5-B4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

893bet wrote: »
    2-BBDBA6-A-C65-B-47-CD-BA8-E-2-CF7-CF0-B195-C.jpg

4-CA9218-D-C5-CF-46-C5-AD12-2202-BCCB1523.jpg

83-D30-A3-A-D1-F9-4-ADC-AADA-4-DC1217-B1-E10.jpg

B0-D183-F6-51-D9-458-C-BC62-F38-E2-EE256-B5.jpg

1918-B422-DD96-43-EF-852-C-70947-FE1-A5-B4.jpg

Plenty of them about this time of year. Massive cock in one of my hubting permissions. I dont shoot pheasants anymore so hopefully hes safe come season

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

I believe that the odd lorry driver that delivered around rural parts used to keep a shotgun in the cab for those type of opportunities back in the day (pheasants on roads or to be seen across the ditch from the cab's high vantage point). I wonder if some still do.

My dad used to shoot a few and indeed pheasant is quite tasty (if you don't mind biting into the odd bit of shot).

Usually there are a few bred around here and let out for shooting. None bred this year though but still a lot about. Had this lad in earlier in the year. Apparently it has mutant genes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

blue5000 wrote: »
    A friend of mine did a PhD on red arsed bumble bees, think it was on the burren and Aran islands.

I did a training course on bee keeping many years ago and the tutor was a wealth of knowledge, he had a great way of explaining things and then if asked a question from any of the group on any aspect of what had been discussed he was able to go into minute detail.

I was in awe of the man and tried to articulate it one evening by telling him he must be one of the greatest experts on bees in Ireland. In his typical humble manner he explained that bees were only a hobby for him and he was only scratching the surface of what was to be learned about them.

I thought he was joking when he told me there were some people who had done their PHD's on just bees knees but he wasn't.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

A real shame to shoot a pheasant IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Look closely and you'll see it.The edges of the field was alive with noise today but could only find 1

522392.jpg

Asus1 wrote: »
    Look closely and you'll see it.The edges of the field was alive with noise today but could only find 1
    I think it's called a common green.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

893bet wrote: »
    A real shame to shoot a pheasant IMO.

Pheasants are essentially being farmed in this country so although I don't personally shoot any creatures I don't see a huge problem in game shooting under controlled circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Asus1 wrote: »

522392.jpg

I used to love searching for them. Hobby as a child catching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Game camera arrived. But the owls have moved on. I knew about 2 weeks ago, the hatchlings were doing a bit of flying.

They disappeared for a few months last year too. So maybe next spring.

I’ll see what wildlife is up around the bog.

Was talking to the farmer who rents the land beside mt permission recently and he swears he seen the elusive black panther! I've heard several stories over the years about this panther but I've never seen it and I've walked the land for 26 years.
    Anyone else seen or heard the tales of the elusive Black panther ??? Never any pics but the ones I have seen look like a black feral cat. A big healthy overfed black feral cat

NcdJd wrote: »
    Usually there are a few bred around here and let out for shooting. None bred this year though but still a lot about. Had this lad in earlier in the year. Apparently it has mutant genes.

Those pics are of a hand reared pheasant called a melanistic michigan blue pheasant. Rich gun clubs buy them for the lucky hunter to shoot.
    I jjst don't bother hunting them anymore. Theyre all hand reared and arent exactly terrified of humans so you can get fairly close to them before the dog rises it.
    A true wild pheasant will see you from 3 fields away and run or.fly off . Thats a true hunt there. But alot of clubs release these birds a week before the season and near the feeders too. So easily shot. Its not hunting imo. But alot of work goes into the rearing of the birds and pest control etc so its a reward for the club members . Id rather hunt snipe and woodcock or even wood pigeon. At least they're wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There were always proper wild pheasants here, no local gun club and plenty of cover in a bog to raise young, but since a pair of buzzards started nesting in the bog, they have gone, along with the 200 or so crows that were in the same bog,

• Advertisement

Anyone know what this plant is.

Advertisement