Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

https://youtu.be/Zi4J5YUJHTg

Cheers,here they are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Another night visitor. Garden Tiger Moth. Arctia caja.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Another night visitor. Garden Tiger Moth. Arctia caja.
    I didn't realise that moths could be so pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

For those thinking about multi species swards, the webinar below might be of interest.
    https://twitter.com/AHDB_BeefLamb/status/1286639896774479872?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

521127.jpg
    Managed to catch this guy on camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Anyone recommend a nighttime wildlife camera that can do short videos?

I wouldn’t know one from the other.

Anyone recommend a nighttime wildlife camera that can do short videos?

I wouldn’t know one from the other.

I bought 1 of these from Amazon.Have it a while now and it seems fine so far.Only thing i would advise is to buy a good brand micro sd and not any cheap crap off ebay.Other than that they can become rather addictive as you want to check then every day,but there best left alone for a week.
    https://www.campark.net/products/campark-t30-trail-game-cameras-hd-wildlife-deer-hunting-cams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A fresh puffball mushroom, usually they are withered when I find them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Asus1 wrote: »
    I bought 1 of these from Amazon.Have it a while now and it seems fine so far.Only thing i would advise is to buy a good brand micro sd and not any cheap crap off ebay.Other than that they can become rather addictive as you want to check then every day,but there best left alone for a week.
    https://www.campark.net/products/campark-t30-trail-game-cameras-hd-wildlife-deer-hunting-cams

What's the quality of the images like? Looks to be good value anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Thanks for that. I ordered it there. About €55 delivered and I’ll get a memory card. Sandisk 32gb is about €20 in curry’s

• Advertisement

Not to bad to be honest.You wont win any photography competition but they are not intended for that purpose.You have different settings for quality of pictures and video.The higher the quality the less room you have on your sd card.My nieces and nephews loved looking at videos and pictures that I recorded.
    I got buzzards,mink,pine martin,fox,hare,badger and loads of crows.Like I said very addictive.

Thanks for that. I ordered it there. About €55 delivered and I’ll get a memory card. Sandisk 32gb is about €20 in curry’s

If your near an argos you'll get 2 scandisk for €20.I have a few cards so you can take 1 out and put another straight in and your set up for another week.Then u can put the sd card you brought home into your laptop or tablet.
    https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pp=20&s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&q=MICRO+SD+CARD&authToken=377358688%252C%252FFMHyiA6KTnM0KnrA1JpN7XQ0Cc%253D

If your near an argos you'll get 2 scandisk for €20.I have a few cards so you can take 1 out and put another straight in and your set up for another week.Then u can put the sd card you brought home into your laptop or tablet.
    https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pp=20&s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&q=MICRO+SD+CARD&authToken=377358688%252C%252FFMHyiA6KTnM0KnrA1JpN7XQ0Cc%253D

Great idea thanks. I’ve to travel to curry’s anyway.

I want to capture the owls, I know the window they exit the house at.

Also say a family of foxes up in the bog.

Some pictures i took with a friend's trailcam. His would be fairly cheap as well.One with fox was it just before eating a few lapwing eggs.

Toad or frog?
    521540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

ganmo wrote: »
    Toad or frog?

Looks like a toad with the bumpy back, where'd you find him!

Looks like a toad with the bumpy back, where'd you find him!

On a bank outside the home house

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Saw a red squirrel while out walking this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Toad or frog?

The natterjack, an internationally endangered species, is found in Ireland only in southwest Kerry, primarily in the Maharees and Castlegregory areas, where a golf course and sand dune system are some of its most important breeding grounds.Jul 17, 2020

Only found in Wexford and Kerry.
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/flora-fauna/flora-and-fauna-of-wexfor/fauna-of-the-wexford-slob/the-natterjack-toad/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

On a bank outside the home house

Interesting, was just looking to see what type he was & found this, you may go & pick him up this time :P

https://thehsi.org/toad-in-the-hole-campaign/

• Advertisement

The natterjack, an internationally endangered species, is found in Ireland only in southwest Kerry, primarily in the Maharees and Castlegregory areas, where a golf course and sand dune system are some of its most important breeding grounds.Jul 17, 2020

Only found in Wexford and Kerry.
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/flora-fauna/flora-and-fauna-of-wexfor/fauna-of-the-wexford-slob/the-natterjack-toad/

I think the Lady is right. I'm not near wexford or kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

"The toad is not usually considered an invasive species, and Donegal and south Dublin might seem safely remote from the natterjacks’ shallow ponds in the sand dunes and coastal fields of Kerry. Indeed, the two species belong to very different habitats. The common toad is happy in dense and shady vegetation, while the natterjack has a narrower niche in nature, liking open and sparsely vegetated ground."
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-sightings-of-the-common-toad-pose-ecological-risks-1.3945678

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thats an interesting find - maybe drop a line to the National Biodiversity Centre as you are well outside the current known range of toads in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Spotted 4 hen harriers in a neighbours field today. Looked like 3 juveniles and an adult. Not designated HH area but its definitely typical nesting ground for them

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Spotted 4 hen harriers in a neighbours field today. Looked like 3 juveniles and an adult. Not designated HH area but its definitely typical nesting ground for them
    Are you sure that they are hen harriers?
    I spotted a male hen harrier flying near the yard in October last year. He was mobbed by a dozen rooks, crows and jackdaws. The males are easily identified due to their sky blue/grey colouring with black wing tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Base price wrote: »
    Are you sure that they are hen harriers?
    I spotted a male hen harrier flying near the yard in October last year. He was mobbed by a dozen rooks, crows and jackdaws. The males are easily identified due to their sky blue/grey colouring with black wing tips.

Pretty sure ya. Have seen the males around my own place last few months. Was a female today which I hadn't seen before. Male is almost pigeon coloured and a good bit smaller than the female. Getting fairly numerous around here but there is a good bit of designated breeding grounds in the area so it must be working to some degree. Was kind of hoping there were buzzards TBH as they might control my rabbit problem some bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across a huge bird of prey today when I was checking the dry cattle. It had about a 1m wingspan and was about 2 foot high when standing on the ground. Dark brown with white stripes along the underside at the back of both wings. It flew off and I came across it again later in a different field.

Any idea what it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I came across a huge bird of prey today when I was checking the dry cattle. It had about a 1m wingspan and was about 2 foot high when standing on the ground. Dark brown with white stripes along the underside at the back of both wings. It flew off and I came across it again later in a different field.

Any idea what it could be?

Are you familiar with buzzards?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sounds like a buzzard Buford. They make a good first impression.

Anyone know what this blue wild flower is? Very distinctive long stamens(?) with rough leaves, about 18 inches high. Never noticed it before.

521808.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a buzzard Buford. They make a good first impression.

Anyone know what this blue wild flower is? Very distinctive long stamens(?) with rough leaves, about 18 inches high. Never noticed it before.

521808.jpg
    Phacelia.
    Edit to add - bees, pollinators go mad for it. I sow 6kgs of seed into a wbc every year.

Advertisement